Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: New Comics & Back Issues - 09/18/2019 Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2019 at 8:38am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Alas, I've already done all of that. I think the only "new to me" Legion stories I would have are some of the Weisinger-era cameos where they show up to pretend to be Clark so Lana won't find out the secret. :-)

And unfortunately, DC's decision to snip off the last three incarnations (Zero Hour, Threeboot, most recent Levitz) so abruptly takes some of the fun out of re-reading them. (5YL ended fine; it was some of the creative choices along the way I found questionable. :-) )

Back to Top profile | search

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2019 at 6:24pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The fact it's Bendis on the Legion book kills my enthusiasm for it. That and I noticed there's a bunch of race swapping and changing of the classic characters. I was excited when Geoff Johns brought the original Legion back. We don't really need a third reboot of the title. Just some good stories FFS.

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2019 at 8:07pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

It hasn't been the Legion of Super-Heroes to me since Levitz and Giffen.

Marc

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2019 at 5:33am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I gave it up during the 5 Years Later run, which I loved originally, and didn't pick anything with Legion in it until Johns brought them back. I really enjoyed Levitz last run with them. 

Full disclosure: I was a Marvel kid (I'm 46 now) never even buying a DC comic off the stands until JB did Man of Steel. I thought that Crisis on Infinite Earths was a good thing and I started buying DC books with regularity after that. Being a huge X-Men fan, lots of comic fans turned me on to New Teen Titans and The Legion of Superheroes and thanks to flea markets, comic book stores, and places like Mile High Comics and American Entertainment, I was able to catch up. I like to re-read Legion and the All-Star Squadron every now and then but I now HATE how Crisis TOTALLY messed up those books. Because I don't like reboots nowadays, I feel pretty bad for the DC fans who had their favorite stories made irrelevant by Crisis. 

Edited by Shawn Kane on 22 September 2019 at 6:20pm

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2019 at 10:12am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The Levitz and Giffen run was definitely the high point of the book and also when I started buying it. I was a Marvel kid too but I had an older relative that was exclusively into DC so I had read some earlier Legion comics from the late 60's and early 70's. But it was the 80's Levitz and Giffen stuff that made me a real fan. After Johns brought the original team back I started getting the new Levitz run on Legion but it didn't have the same magic as the book had before. I also enjoyed the Legion of Three Worlds by Johns and Perez even though I knew very little about the two rebooted groups outside of a few issues I'd read here and there. But, yeah, the 80's Levitz and Giffen run was the best the book ever got and comparable to the Marvel books of the time (along with Wolfman and Perez' New Teen Titans).

Edited by Shane Matlock on 22 September 2019 at 10:13am

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2019 at 12:14pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

The status quo at DC right now seems to be that the Legion as we originally knew them did know Clark when he was younger, that "Kal-El (Superboy) and the Legion of Super-Heroes" is canonical in one possible future Earth-Zero ("Prime Earth") timeline, but Clark no longer remembers any of this.

Hence, the BMB reboot where the Legion first form in the 31st (not 30th) century and recruit young Jon Kent, not Clark Kent, into their ranks. Which I'd have more hope for if it wasn't Bendis at the helm.

I hope Clark (and Kara!) eventually remember their Legion. I never loved the Legion per se. I did really like the idea that Superman (and Supergirl) had a bunch of good friends in the 30th century.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 September 2019 at 12:23pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Superman (and Supergirl) had a bunch of good friends in the 30th century.

•••

Has there ever been a more DC statement?

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2019 at 3:10pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Well, yes, they're DC characters. I wouldn't want Spider-Man to have 30th century friends. The Big Two are supposed to "feel" different from each other, right? 

Gundars Berzins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2019 at 9:27am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I'll look to see what's offered in this new Legion of Super-Heroes. What I've see from this image already has me doubtful.

My favorite times with Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes started with issue 207. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2019 at 7:11pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Most of my Legion love is retroactive. Picked up some digests with a bunch of the Forte stories (starting with Adventure #500, which covered most of the Lightning Lad death/resurrection stuff), got the occasional Levitz issue (first was 299), etc.

My first time getting the book on a consistent basis was actually the 5YL run, which I bailed on after #20. Then occasional visits, a lot of back issue/Archive buying and I ended up following the book again about a year or so into the Zero Hour reboot. Other than a very brief attempt to skip the Waid Threeboot (I left #1 on the shelf for a bit but picked it up either before or around the time #2 came out), I've been buying the book ever since. When it's been around anyway.

I've found something to love about most of it (although 5YL forever taught me to be wary when a "huge fan" takes over a book - between odd retcons and bringing in a replacement Legion they drove that poor book into the ground), with Levitz' second run and the original run in Adventure being my favorites. (Liked Levitz' first and third runs as well, mind you.)

Because of that, I'm probably dumb enough to check out the first issue or so. It would be nice to be pleasantly surprised.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |