Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4
Topic: Sapiosexual Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2019 at 4:23pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

QUOTE:
Parents are generally asked to  choose. Sadly no real study of the baby's chromosomes is  done to aid the decision. In that case I believe  transgenderism is not a choice.

Even chromosomes (and genes) are insufficient to make an informed decision. There are other factors that influence our notions of masculinity, femininity, sexual orientation, etc, such as levels of exposure to androgens in the uterine environment. All we can do is trust what the individual is telling us.

QUOTE:
What I do know is, the suicide rate for transgenders is  42%, whether you have the surgery to transition or not. I  think a lot of the current full court press for  acceptance is a means of quelling a form of depression  that community sufferers from. Again, my lack of  understanding if it is genetic, environmental, or a  choice isn't born out of a lack of acceptance but of  ignorance on my part. There is a bunch of therapists who  are telling people that there's nothing wrong with them.  If depression is a common problem, then therapy should  concentrate on that.

If you look at other studies, the common thread in higher suicide rate is discrimination and lack of acceptance. The lack of acceptance /is/ the source of depression. Hormones and gender-confirming surgery can help someone be more comfortable in their body, but it is not a magic bullet to make discrimination go away. Changing societal attitudes is what does that. 

Back to Top profile | search

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2019 at 4:50pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I'm just glad that I'm born straight. I mean, cisgender.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2019 at 5:42pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I'm just glad that I'm born straight. I mean, cisgender.

-----

Those are two separate things.

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2019 at 5:58pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Joe Zhang wrote:
I'm just glad that I'm born straight.

Me too. Nothing worse than being different. Must suck to be very tall, very short, albino, short-sighted, deaf, blind, autistic, etc. But we'll never know! Hah - take that weirdos!

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2019 at 11:39pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Society should and must treat them equally. To use them as a political battering ram is another form of exploitation. 

stephan Etienne
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2019 at 12:40am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

But not enough to be happy to be born stupid because in writing this, you stigmatize a whole layer of the population that bothers you and that seems to me, otherwise (and unfortunately), very "stigmatized" in this topic..

stephan Etienne
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2019 at 12:48am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Eugenistic that stigmatizes all those who are different from him in, unfortunately, listing them. If Mengele still existed, he would have hired you without hesitation to dissect all those who are different from you

stephan Etienne
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2019 at 12:51am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

okay but, instead of talking about society, start by doing it yourself

stephan Etienne
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2019 at 1:06am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

It's true, Mr. John Byrne, "sapiosexual" is a word we still don't need; it "stigmatizes" what society needs to "identify" as being outside the "standard" with a large stamp on it, almost with a red iron, indirectly evoking the very dreadful hours that Europe experienced as early as the late 30s..

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2019 at 10:20am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

And drawing on my depressingly limited knowledge of Latin, "sapiosexual" sounds like someone who thinks about sex - which includes millions of teen age boys and girls and more than a few grownups.

What type of sex they think about... I do not know and do not care. It doesn't bother me and doesn't include me. So as long as no one is being hurt doing this, go for it.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 4
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |