Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: Crisis of Infinite Crises Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2019 at 3:32pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I'm sure Mr. Claremont's success on the "X-Men" had not a little to do with fans finding his prodigious ability to tell ever-ongoing A,B,& C stories appealing. By stylistic contrast, JB on the "Fantastic Four" I think really captured the Lee-Kirby mode of telling self-contained tales, some big, some small.
Back to Top profile | search

Jim Petersman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2019 at 8:56pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I loved Crisis on Infinite Earths when it first came out, but I was old enough to tell that what little plans there were had been changed. The Monitor that made cameos before COIE #1 was more of an arms dealer from what I can recall. Then things happening in COIE didn't line up with events happening in some regular series even though they both claimed to be happening at the same time. Events after Crisis didn't exactly smoothly flow into the, uh, new universe. Blow it all up and start over with number 1s is exactly what they should've done.

However, it occurs to me that a Crisis movie could be a great way to clean up the mess the DCU is and generate a lot of excitement for a new direction (hopefully more inline with who the characters really are). Would they screw it up badly? Probably. But if not, I would love to see the Christopher Reeve Superman striking the fatal blow against the Anti-Monitor before everything goes Kablooie. The screen goes dark. Then, Imagine the anticipation for the next movies when the after credit scenes show a rocket ship crashing onto the Kent's farm; a baby is formed on the coast of an island; a Green Lantern falls to earth and dies, his ring floating off towards an airfield in the distance... the Crisis is over. A time of Legends begins again.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2019 at 10:44pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

COIE was one of those stories that I wanted to like, but just couldn't get into it. In hindsight, I think that the series was completely unnecessary and that DC could have easily streamlined and rebooted their entire universe without having to provide an in story explanation.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2019 at 2:53am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Of course things changed with the Monitor.
I remember an interview with Marv Wolfman where he talked about how he had created the Monitor to be a character for everyone to use in their stories but the idea hadn’t caught on with the other writers. He said he would reintroduce him & see if he could gain any traction the second go around.
No mention of a big cross company event involving him @ that time.

I do admit that @ the time of Crisis I got a chuckle when there was the scenes with Swamp Thing & John Constantine where in Crisis the heroes dismissed what was going on in Swamp Thing, saying it will blow over while in Swamp Thing, Constantine dismissed the whole Crisis saying it will blow over.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Carlos Velasco
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2019 at 5:42am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

James, I'm curious about that... can you give exact issues and pages?

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2019 at 7:11am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Maybe this one? 

Carlos Velasco
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2019 at 1:41am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Pre-Crisis appearances of the Monitor feel forced, and Alan Moore did a great job with them. In the middle of a very serious comic book, he inserted a page about the Monitor talking nonsense, a parody of the Monitor. This happened in Swamp Thing 30 an 31 and it's hilarious:

Edited by Carlos Velasco on 09 October 2019 at 1:57am

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 October 2019 at 6:21am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

In the middle of a very serious comic book, he inserted a page about the Monitor talking nonsense, a parody of the Monitor.

••

Not playing the game, then? I thought I was the one who did that.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2019 at 7:02am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

The comedy has gone right over my head. 

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2019 at 8:05am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Marv Wolfman, in a foreword or afterword, in one of the Crisis TPBs states that he originally created The Monitor as a character just to supply or equip out super-villains. His original moniker was "The Librarian".

Incorporating the character in to COIE came at a much later stage

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2019 at 12:41pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

How is either of those pages "hilarious"?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Carlos Velasco
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2019 at 1:24pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Alan Moore was forced to use the character, so he decided to insert those pages into Swamp Thing stories that had a totally different tone.

The pages feel like a commercial, like they are not part of the comic.

The message from Moore was only clear in the last bubble of dialog, though. "Do? We watch" and "I heard what you said. Please don't interrupt me. I am concentrating... I am attempting to suppress for the first time in my life... the uncontrollable urge to look away" are both a parody of the name of the character, the Monitor.

This is absurd humor and this is not Watchmen/Swamp Thing's Moore, but Time Twisters/Future Shocks Moore.

The absurdity of the page becomes more evident if you read the whole issue.

"The Monitor is a stupid character that just looks" is the message. Not sure if hilarious, but certainly a risky parody.

Edited by Carlos Velasco on 09 October 2019 at 1:28pm

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |