I've a few problems with the Hall of Fame.
|Posted: 05 November 2019 at 8:11am | IP Logged | 9
In no particular order, except #1 is my absolute top issue:
1. Whoever gets in (or doesn't) seems to be based on Jann Wenner's whims and tastes. This should be changing, fortunately, as he's stepping down. But whoever takes over could be just as problematic.
2. It should either be renamed the Rock, Rap and Pop Hall of Fame, or certain acts should be disallowed and even kicked out, or moved to the Influences section. Other than maybe LL Cool J, I cannot think of any rappers not in yet who belong. (And Notorious B.I.G. does not deserve to be in AT ALL. Most overrated rapper of all time.)
3. One-hit wonders should not get in over acts that have had multiple successes or long careers.
4. Eligibility seems to be based at least in part on how much of a success the act is/was in the U.S., which means acts that are deserving for success elsewhere won't/may not get in. I'd love to see Saxon, Slade, and Golden Earring get in, but it likely won't happen for any of them. (And for the record, I much prefer Saxon's cover of "Ride Like The Wind" to Christopher Cross's original.)
5. Acts shouldn't get in based on one member being famous either while as a member or as a solo artist afterward. Rufus even being nominated at all (let alone multiple times) is absolute bs. They were a one-hit wonder, and who cares if Chaka Khan was a member?