Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Fan Fic << Prev Page of 32 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN.06--Comments Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2019 at 10:59am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

JOHN BYRNE wrote:
...Wolverine, before he mutated into a supercool ninja samauri, was very much a blunt instrument...

I've tried to explain to people I know who are unaware or perhaps forgot themselves that there have basically been two "Wolverines." The one prior to the 1982 mini-series,  and the one in that series that became the standard version. The original,  I note, was a psychotic nut-ball with a hair-trigger and defiant against authority.  The later version was a smug, cocky asshole ("I'm the best there is at what I do"), and a badass who was treated as a cool bad boy. 

People wouldn't want to be the original version.  He was often not in control of himself,  and was truly an unpleasant loner. Thankfully, he recognized he needed help and fought on the side of good. The other version was the macho alpha Male that got the girls, and while he called himself a "loner," he seemed to have history with pretty much everyone with a military history in the Marvel universe.

Personally,  I think that the original version would be sickened with the later version.

So glad to see the "real" Wolverine I read as a youngster back in some form. Thanks  JB!

Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Genitempo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2019 at 11:05am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Just wanted to wish you a happy thanksgiving John and to say thanks for the wonderful art and story so far
Back to Top profile | search

Paul Wills
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2019 at 11:13am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Thanks, JB! One of the many things I love about your art and stories is that you don't back away from drawing intricate machinery whenever it's necessary. Makes it all the more realistic. In my early days of writing/drawing fanzines, I would write a scene and think, 'crap, now I have to draw that!'
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Phillip L Lightfoot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2019 at 3:32pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Isn't Cyclops constantly absorbing solar radiation in order to power his optic blast?  Maybe he can see better than we can, perhaps even slightly into the infrared or ultraviolet, simply because his brain has so much more light to work with.  Just a thought.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2019 at 4:44pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I expect Scott 'Slim' Summers to be the rational, responsible, pillar of the group; the guy Jean picked, the one the Professor expects the most from, not that it doesn't tax him sometimes, and that he is 'the one who stays'. Later on he was the one that was always leaving or disappearing, over and over, and gets merged with Apocalypse and has to be found and saved, and has fathered all these super-powerful alternate future children with various women, and who all seem to want to come back to our present, over and over (because that's like going to the corner shop for bread for them).

Then again, I'll take any Cyclops that doesn't have the Hulk's neck! Also, I'll take any Wolverine that is the hairy wild card needing to be reigned in, not the only emotion is rage/know it all that can regenerate from a single cell.

If we could re-do the mid '80s to the mid '90s Marvel over... erase most all of the Ninja jazz outside of what was established in Daredevil, erase the vampires that aren't aliens or Brother Blood from the super universe (yeah I mean Dracula, he just never fit for me), erase from all main characters all the bad fashion from English punk stereotypes to those Reagan-era shoulder pads and various 'spensive yuppie hair-dos, erase all the future/alternate children after the allowable limit of one if you must have any (Rachel), erase the cross-over 'events' and cross-over mini-series that sucked bad and meant nothing positive (which ones are we left with then?)... so Secret Wars I & II - poofed, Kitty & Wolverine - poofed, Magik - poofed, X-Men & Micronauts - poofed, but especially erase the making Hulk/Sasquatch-sized or goofily cartoonish any major characters (and if it were up to me I would've killed the Impossible Man sometime in the late '70s) because it's how an artist wants to draw (hey, then don't draw these comics, draw something that fits those styles, you know like the actual Hulk or Sasquatch, or Barbie). Take back all fairy tales told within a comic centering on tragic events that are supposed to be real to these characters, and any other 'look at this' cutesy in-joke touches that are large enough to undermine the reality (this leaves alone billboards and shop names with friends' names on them and Popeye in a background). :^)

Make Mine Elsewhen!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 November 2019 at 8:09am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

In space no one can hear a microphone drop! What an ending! And what  a final image!

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 November 2019 at 8:28am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

In my early days of writing/drawing fanzines, I would write a scene and think, 'crap, now I have to draw that!'

•••

I can’t count the number of times I’ve plotted a scene and then thought “What have I done to myself?!”

Mark McKay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 November 2019 at 9:13am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Well, there goes Asteroid M!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Tony Moretti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 November 2019 at 9:13am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Great wrap on this issue JB. I have one question and one observation, feel free to set me straight.

Colossus doesn't breathe in his armored form, correct? How can he tell that the air is clean?

Magneto admits he's too weak to attack a 5'3" Canadian, but has enough in the tank to pull apart the entire facility. Struck me as a little odd.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 November 2019 at 9:20am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

1) Actually, the goof in that scene is that Peter is cocooned in Reed’s space suit and wouldn’t be breathing the surrounding air at all! Time for a minor re-write.

2) As indicated a few pages earlier, the station is held together magnetically. Magneto has canceled the magnetism, so the parts just drift apart, as seen. (ie, not an explosion)

Jeffrey Rice
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 November 2019 at 10:43am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

2) As indicated a few pages earlier, the station is held together magnetically. Magneto has canceled the magnetism, so the parts just drift apart, as seen. (ie, not an explosion)

---------
That was how I read it. Easy to "turn off" some magnetism, even if ripping Wolverine in half is too much.

Philippe Pinoli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 November 2019 at 10:49am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

OMG...Former Island in the Sky !!!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 32 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |