Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Dr. Who MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Dr. Who << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Series Twelve Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2020 at 10:02am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

"The Doctor's preachy speech in the end about taking care of the planet might have worked if it had been in a better
episode."

Agreed, and by "better" I would include "showing at least a little understanding of science." The stories seem about equivalent to telling children to cross the street at the corner, because any part without white paint on it is made of lava! Also, giant toothy monsters will get you!

Speaking of speeches, was there any reason that tech genius in "Spyfall" threw away his existing customer base and sought a new one, except to give that long "don't trust your privacy to the corporations" speech? (Was he in London? I feel like making a crack about the most government monitored city in Europe.)

Back to Top profile | search

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2020 at 10:09am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Well we`ve had "Trump bad" "Amazon bad" "Humans bad"
with no subtlety at all, and as much as i want to like
this last two series, i just find it poorly acted by
some of the main cast, and the stories to be too
simplistic. I know it`s meant to be family viewing, but
don`t treat our aidience like toddlers.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2020 at 11:04am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I think that might have been the worst ever episode of Doctor Who I have seen - and I've seen The Krotons.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2020 at 2:55pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

It's so funny reading these reactions -- I was thinking that the last four episodes including the 2019 NY Special were about a strong a run as I've seen since I started watching Doctor Who in 2011. Despite the preachiness I thought yesterday's episode was ridiculously entertaining; the terrible-looking monster front and center was like something out of the Seventies. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2020 at 9:38am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

New Years's special re-used ideas/moments from a bunch of other Dr. Who stories, it was the Force Awakens of Doctor Who. That last episode was the worst thing I've seen since Love & Monsters. How do any of these people still have jobs?

Edited by Jozef Brandt on 14 January 2020 at 9:38am

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2020 at 9:54am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

"How do any of these people still have jobs?"

Because they adhere to the BBC`s woke agenda?

I see on other forums that any criticism of the dire
scripts, the unsubtle woke messages, or wooden acting is
met with accusations of racism, sexism or being a right
wing maniac.
These idiots conveniently forget we`ve already had
plenty of companions of colour, a female Master, without
a complaint and that the "messages" were more subtle.

Jack Bohn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2020 at 12:01pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

It's not the speechifying I mind; whatever you feel strongly enough about to write. It's the unthought-out-ness used.

"Fear Her" (That was since "Love & Monsters," wasn't it?) had the girl's drawing of her scary father, and red light and threatening noises coming from her closet. What was that about? Just something thrown in to keep us anxious, I guess. No explanation. Well, okay, that was a throwaway episode coasting on England getting the Olympic Games.

"Kill the Moon" I actually liked the central idea back when it was Jack Williamson's story "Born of the Sun" in the 1930s, although it's probably a struggle to make plausible. Or you could make everything else around it stupid so it doesn't stand out. Maybe the writers didn't see any coverage of actual Shuttle missions, where it was always pointed out that it "flies backwards" when decelerating, and it has to open the cargo bay doors to shed unwanted heat. But you have to be trying to be wrong to have the Doctor comment on the weight while the Shuttle is still above the lunar surface -- that is, in freefall!

There was another example, but I forget. Let's turn to the current episode. We have a monster breathing CO2 and exhaling oxygen with all the chemical understanding of a "here the grass is blue and the sky is green" inversion.
Any speech about the oncoming catastrophe or that something should be done don't come from understanding. For all this works as a message, the threat could be changed from anthropomorphic climate change to the Y2K bug, or the Jewish banking conspiracy.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2020 at 10:58pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Somewhat formulaic Doctor Who episode with a historical figure, but really enjoyable. Tesla vs Scorpion Aliens!

A bit of the Doctor's ruthless side coming out again in declaring that she'd already given the Skritha a chance, and they didn't take it. Shades of the Tenth Doctor and the Racnoss.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2020 at 1:25pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I seem to know a bit too much to watch the show now. Edison saying the British are bad at business was stupid as they lead the industrial revolution. This is sort of the faddish Tesla of which many quasi ancient aliens type shows have been made about. Writers giving him the dubious victory over Edison in various ways. Edison pretty much copied and stole, by way of his U.S. patent office connections, the first strip moving picture camera from a European who developed and perfected it in England. The rejection of the originator's patent was ridiculously flimsy and based on willful ignorance.

Anyway, last of this series I will likely watch, but it's not bad for those who can enjoy it. I did make it through last seasons at least, I think it was better, this is more a series of near re-runs or mash-ups of greatest hits. The Doctor lacks depth, but that wouldn't be the first time... I remember Peter Davison's for a lot of his run seeming like a mannequin almost to me, and some had depth that didn't really fit for me like Colin Baker's.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2020 at 10:44pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Great episode! Genuinely surprising at points. While I called that a Chameleon Arch would be involved somehow, I wasn't expecting that.

Also glad that the cameo went unspoiled for me. They should keep the running gag of people thinking Graham is The Doctor.

Looks like we're in for the season-long story arc of previous seasons and darker moods for The Doctor ahead.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2020 at 1:29am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Well that WAS a surprise! A certain actor came into my
place of work last summer, to use our toilet, he walked
right past me and i didn`t recognise him, i only noticed
his hair dye, now i know why it was dyed!
Coincidentally, he was live on another tv channel at the
same time, with his natural silver hair! I didn`t see
the reveal until after, as my wife watches the other
show he`s on! It`s the first episode of the Chibnall era
that actually feels like Doctor Who to me.

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2020 at 2:59pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Chibnall continues his run of "The only canon that matters is mine"

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |