Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Trapped by My Own Legend Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2020 at 4:06pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Hey Matt - I want to say he had a nerve condition in his back severe enough that at the time he was afraid he might never draw again.

Your time frame is correct.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2020 at 5:14pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Casey, that sounds right. I just wasn't absolutely sure, so I didn't want to state what the condition was.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2020 at 9:28pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

John  Byrne is my favorite because of a combination of quality and consistency. Consistently putting out quality comics! In this, I'd say he is the best over the length of his career.

My favorite writer overall is Roger Stern. My favorite artist is John Buscema. But JB is my favorite comics creator. And yeah, there's probably a handful of artists who have been better, technically, than JB at some points in their career. A few even maintained the quality.

On another note, I have a friend who is a Jack Webb fanatic, and it's funny how paths cross, that he owns a John Byrne comic as part of his Jack Webb collection!

Marin Balabanov
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2020 at 4:23am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I still think that John Byrne is one of the best artists in the industry. I like the old stuff and the new stuff.

Even if not everyone agrees with this opinion, it might be that the publisher was just using hyperbole to sell books, which is perfectly legitimate.

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2020 at 5:14am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

@Matt/Casey.

Wasn't that the time that he was working for Marvel but DC picked up the medical costs?

I seem to feel that was in an interview I read from a few years ago.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2020 at 5:35am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

As to the topic of being the best in the industry, JB has always held that title for me. There was a time in the nineties that Alan Davis got pretty close to dethroning him (in my head) but never did so. 

Who is the best is surely a personal opinion, as soon as you generalise your comment to across a number of people, we need to see stats.

What are we defining "the best" to encompass...writing, drawing, inking, drawing & writing? A body of work up to that point? Only superhero comics? So on. 

I loved Jean Giraud's art (a lot) but he never even got close to JB in my head, not as a matter of singular point of any skill from either but in large part due to my love of Superhero comics. JB just did more of those and better, imo.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 March 2020 at 7:54am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Darren, you are quite mad!!!
Back to Top profile | search

Sergio Saavedra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2020 at 7:56am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Though I don't have a specific period of JB's work that I consider the best, I sometimes find myself missing unconsciously IDW comics such as Doomsday.1, Cold War or The High Ways.

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2020 at 8:16am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Not the only time someone has made that observation JB. I should be less happy about that than I am.

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2020 at 8:21am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

"Doomsday.1, Cold War or The High Ways"

I really loved all three of those.  

I love an awful lot of comic creators, but for pure comic fun, I rank JB near the top of all of them.  I can go back and reread his work, and enjoy it almost as much as when it was brand new.  Certain series of his I go back to more than others: OMAC, Generations, Next Men, Batman/Captain America, Fantastic Four.  I guess I like the "mature" Byrne works better than the early things.  Stuff he wrote (except Lost Generation - that I loved too).  Art he inked.  

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2020 at 9:49am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

More COLD WAR, please!

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2020 at 3:01pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

QUOTE:
As to the topic of being the best in the industry, JB has always held that title for me. There was a time in the nineties that Alan Davis got pretty close to dethroning him (in my head) but never did so.

It's like we're the same person!

JB is clearly my favorite comic book artist/writer, and I do think he's the best, but Alan Davis' art is a-ma-zing, and like our host, his incredible writing is often overlooked.

QUOTE:
More COLD WAR, please!

Indeed!

As much as I'd like to see what JB had in store for the Conclave, more COLD WAR tops my wish list! (Now if JB were to get his hands on Grunt and Nudge again...)

Oh, and as far as those who still think "his old stuff is better" go... Eyes they have not!

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |