Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Movies Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Transgender Marvel Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 02 January 2020 at 10:18am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

LINK

From the company that brought you RAWHIDE KID.

Back to Top profile | search

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 January 2020 at 8:11am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

How can one have a super hero that isn't exploiting that aspect of their character?

I have trouble even thinking of transgender characters. Mr. Byrne's Vanguard... maybe Shvaughn Erin... Ultraverse's Mantra... DC TV's Dream Girl, but I don't count that... I think there was a character called Cloud in the Defenders...

Vanguard never struck me as relying on being trans to be interesting... but I think big V only showed up twice.* From the others... what I know of most of them indicates that their story is entirely tied up in being trans. But what about the characters themselves, as super heroes and not bi?

I'm a little tired of "Hey! I'm black! (Muslim! Jewish! Dying!) That's what makes me special!" I'd rather it be a little more incidental to the characters. That's why I read comics, anyhow.

*MORE VANGUARD! MORE VANGUARD!

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 03 January 2020 at 8:36am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I have trouble even thinking of transgender characters. Mr. Byrne's Vanguard...

••

Vanguard--my version of the original Captain Marvel--switches genders, trading between male and female as each of the humans controlling the power take turns. Each remains fully and distinctly their original gender. That's a long way from transgender.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 January 2020 at 9:22am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Wanda Langowski?

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 03 January 2020 at 9:30am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Wanda Langowski?

••

Wasn't that more of a mind/brain "transplant"?

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 January 2020 at 10:00am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Yes. So not a case of personal gender identity failing to correspond to birth sex, but that pre-existing storyline of a man trapped within a woman's body does, I think, fit under the umbrella theme of transgender.

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 03 January 2020 at 10:01am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

(Just had a horrifying vision of Vanguard being a Marvel or DC character. How long would it take, after I relinquished control, for another writer to have the male character become "trapped" in the female form, or vice versa, and try to shoehorn in transgender issues? With all the subtlety of Northstar becoming a "fairy", of course.)

Clint Thompson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 January 2020 at 10:21am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

As a kid, I adored Cloud. Even once I learned more about her (him? it?), I understood that gender wasn't the point. 

Didn't Starhawk (GOTG) and a version of Dr Fate switch genders? I'm having trouble remembering the specifics of the male/female versions of these characters. Again, I understood that the gender aspect wasn't the point in these instances - it was about the different personalities.

Edited by Clint Thompson on 03 January 2020 at 11:36am

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 January 2020 at 10:26am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

There was also Vamp/Animus.

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 03 January 2020 at 10:51am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I think maybe “transgender” is being spread a bit thin, here. And not just here.

A man who finds himself in a female body, scientifically or magically, would still be a man. (I actually addressed this in SHE-HULK.) To be truly transgender would require that individual to have an assumption of a female identity BEFORE the change took place.

The same would be true of female to male.

(In the Marvel Universe, sorcerers like Dr. Strange could perform huge services for people who felt themselves to have been born into the wrong body, gender-wise. Nothing so crude and clumsy as surgery. A few magic words and an ACTUAL TRANSFORMATION could be accomplished.)

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 January 2020 at 11:42am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

My first thought is of Starhawk - not as a correct portrayal of transgender but still, I wonder if this is the character term that this will be.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 January 2020 at 12:43pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I think of the character in Camelot 3000, but more a macho guy forced to take a walk on the wild side there. :^)

Trans is short for transitory... shouldn't any trans anything character be going from one state to another? Then once there they would no longer be 'trans', or is there a person who wants to remain in some kind of state of flux? Probably I have an old-fashioned binary mindset on this though. Oh, these advanced kids these days! Cue the David Bowie music.

There is a mindset in superhero-centric people to 'make history' with the first _______ superhero, butt this point I'm sure it's all been done, but if there is still some variation not 'explored' to make a mark (and get publicity) with, someone will do it.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Page of 6 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |