Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Fan Fic << Prev Page of 33 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN.08--Comments Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2020 at 10:41am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Love the double page spread! You really get a sense of the space they are fighting in.
Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2020 at 11:28am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Yeah the 'widescreen' shot is amazing. Great depth to it, with the amazing background detail, and a real sense of movement, as the eye has to trace across the image to take it all in.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 January 2020 at 11:54am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

This suburban battleground was a distinct change of pace after spending most of my career trashing major cities. And before anyone asks, that’s not my own neighborhood used as reference, nor did I try to duplicate the backlot around the Stevens house. All made up.

Lars Norberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2020 at 1:19pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Slightly off topic, but it has to be said. I apologize for the long post in advance, and luckily nobody is forced to read anything they don't want here on the Interwebz.

I - as many others - grew up with your work, Mr Byrne. I am Norwegian, born and raised. We don't get all the American comics here, and when we get them, they are re-ordered, mixed, picked and delayed. We're a small country of hardly 5 million citizens, with a small amount of readers. So the publishers simply can't afford to go for anything but the most popular.

After my early childhood being enthralled with Superman, I discovered the more "serious" Spiderman when I was at the age of 8, around the year of 1985. I convinced my mother to buy Spiderman for me. She did, after having checked it out herself. One issue, sometime in the mid to late eighties, the publishers had decided to add an episode of something else. It was your Fantastic Four story where the FF face off against elemental "copies" of themselves. I was blown away by it. And especially by the artwork. I'd never seen anything like it.

The one thing that really impressed even the child version of myself, was how you had drawn the fire of the Human Torch and the fire elemental differently. My thoughts at the time were along the lines of "woooah, you can DO that??", and they have more or less stayed the same ever since! Your use of line work, shadows, negative space in relation to that, and simple tools to achieve great effects...? There are good reasons why so many list you as their inspiration.

In the years to come I followed your work on the FF, discovered a good friend had a 2 feet high stack of X-Men issues drawn by you, as well as reading your Alpha Flight and your take on Superman. You defined the quality of superhero comics for me all through the eighties, and ever since.

So seeing this unpublished X-Men story written and drawn by you...? I can honestly say that this is about the coolest experience I've had related to comics ever since I first discovered your work back then. You make this 42 year old man feel like a kid again.

A big THANK YOU from across the Atlantic! I salute you! :)

Rod Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2020 at 4:46pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

A lot going on in that double-page spread...  Flipping the action 180 degrees from the previous page, a neat title for the issue, some possible ominous foreshadowing, Storm's thought balloons emphasising an important bit of text from the previous issue and the impact on civilians. 

One question for JB, is the Colossus figure in that double-page a paste-up? 

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 January 2020 at 6:57pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Nope.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 07 January 2020 at 9:16pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Wow! Now THIS is how you kick off an issue!

Richard Palmgren
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2020 at 8:26am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

It's been really intriguing seeing you develop the mostly underdeveloped Grey family's personalities.  Did you have plans / development ideas for the Greys back in the day?

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 January 2020 at 8:29am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

As close as Chris and I got to such was the oft-mentioned family outing to see "The Cat from Outer Space". But that didn't involve any real development of the Greys.

Michael Genitempo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2020 at 8:44am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I'm really loving the Greys' characterizations... Having your daughter ailing like Jean is, is hard of course, but losing your home is traumatic in its own way.   Can't even say Elaine's reactions aren't warranted.  From her point of view, it really does seem to be the X-men's fault.

Michael Genitempo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2020 at 8:46am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

The sad part is, I think they killed off all the Grey family in the mainstream comics, so they almost have it easy here in Elsewhen (at least so far)...

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2020 at 9:03am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Five jet engines, perhaps?

<< Prev Page of 33 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |