Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | TV Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: "My Name is Victoria Winters"- DARK SHADOWS Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2020 at 10:42am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I got the entire series recently and started from episode one so it's taking a while to get to Barnabas.

I am loving it, however. Any other fans? Favorite storylines?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2020 at 12:56pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I own a couple books on the show, which include episode guides. I have not seen many of the pre-Barnabus episodes, though. 

.Personally, I think they made two major mistakes with the show:

1.Too much time travel. 2. The Leviathan storyline.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2020 at 8:58pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I've watched all the episodes up to Barnabas' introduction once, and then have the DVDs Vol.1-8 with four discs each which start with Willie exhuming Barnabas (plus a newly edited intro episode using parts from the first episode with Victoria on the train and some other bits). I only had vague memories of seeing the opening bit with the waves and musical saw type music as a toddler, and my older brother had a Gold Key comic starring Barnabas... I can't say I liked the comic that much but you took what entertainment you could from whatever was around.

I enjoyed the pre-Barnabas run well enough, the Phoenix mother was pretty cool for an X-Men reader, always wanted to see that painting in color, and the whole ghost in the old house thing worked pretty well too. The first time I think there was any hint of something supernatural that couldn't be explained any other way was when the pages in a book moved, and they accomplished the effect really well. Considering the pace they were working and the amount of lines it's amazing it's as good as it was, but of course a lot of people like to point on the boom mic shadow, wobbly wall or flubbed line, same as with old Doctor Who (particulaly B&W Who where to do a re-take on video tape was excruciatingly difficult), but Who was a weekly and Dark Shadows was weekdays!

Of course later I went crazy for Dan Curtis' The Night Stalker tv movies and series, and have tried to get everything he did, there was one weird omnibus show that even had Willie/John Karlen in a major part (and later he was Lacey's husband Harvey on Cagney & Lacey).

There's also a single DVD from the same company that put out all the four disc volumes of the show which is worth getting as it has a number of documentary features and a fairly informative booklet!

Yes, it started to fall apart with too much time-travel/too many doppelgangers of various time eras... kind of like Claremont with all the alternate future offspring showing up and hanging around. :^)

Fun fact: Conrad Bain, later of Different Strokes, appears in some early episodes as the Collinsport hotel desk manager.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 07 January 2020 at 9:00pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Ed Aycock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2020 at 12:58pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

You're right, Rebecca! The first ghostly things happen with the book. (Ok, the book first falls to the floor with no explanation but that was offscreen; we never saw it fall, just see it on the ground.) I even looked for strings moving the pages of the book, because this is the show where an actor bumps into the teleprompter, but none were seen.

I am in the midst of the Phoenix storyline now and it's pretty compelling. Creepy but they don't overplay their hand.

I think Nancy Barret, who played Carolyn, is the only one who was able to get her lines out and never stumbled over them. That said, Louis Edmonds is a gas as Roger.

I am a huge soap opera fan to start with (RIP, "As the World Turns." Sigh.) so it's fun to have an entire show available.

Edited by Ed Aycock on 08 January 2020 at 1:00pm

Allan Summerall
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2020 at 11:17am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I didn't really watch the original show, but I did enjoy the 1991 version with Ben Cross as Barnabas. I thought it a shame it didn't last more than one season.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2020 at 6:11pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I didn't like the remake, and I think it was due in part to Ben Cross. Great actor, but he would have made a better Reverend Trask than Barnabus. They also went to the time travel well too soon. 

There is supposed to be a continuation of the original coming, this time from The CW. Don't know if it will actually happen, or if they'll use any of the actors from the original that are still alive. David Selby would have to play a new character, though, since Quentin is immortal. (He's been doing some Big Finish audio shows as Quentin.)

And Ed? I used to be a soap opera fan, too. I watched Days Of Our Lives back in the mid-late 80's and early 90's.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2020 at 10:22pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The only U.S. soap (not counting Dark Shadows which I got into well after it's original air dates) which I ever watched regularly was Santa Barbara, it's launch just happened to coincide with a time in my life where I had those hours free most days.

I have watched a lot of itv's (formerly Yorkshire and Granada respectively) Emmerdale and Coronation Street off and on, and an outer space set teen soap called Jupiter Moon (Sky), all British, plus I followed Australia's Home And Away in re-runs from the first episode on a Canadian cable channel. In a way Hill Street Blues, St. Elsewhere, Tour Of Duty and China Beach were prime-time soaps, also Call The Midwife, Lark Rise To Candleford, Downton Abbey, Mr. Selfridge.... Melodrama when done well with decent actors I usually enjoy.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 09 January 2020 at 10:23pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Ed Aycock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2020 at 10:46am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I used to watch "Santa Barbara." That show was a riot (on purpose, had great comedic moments.)

"Dark Shadows" was a product of the 60s so everything was oh so serious which makes it funnier at parts nowadays. The thunderous music as a character stares out a window at those never-ending thunderstorms they seemed to have at Collinwood.

Jonathan A. Dowdell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2020 at 11:17am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

When I was teenager New Jersey public TV ran 2 Dark Shadows episodes a night (1984-85?) and I would watch them with my mother (who had been a fan the first time around). They started with the first Barnabas episode so I never saw what came before. I really enjoyed them. Its worth sticking with because they do some interesting things that are even more atypical for day time soaps than just introducing a vampire. 

It is interesting to see how they did the show "live to tape." there are no edits and everything had to planned so the actors would be in place from scene to scene. I also remember a few times when a story seemed to take a left turn, I assume because they decided something wasn't working or an actor was going to leave the show? 
Back to Top profile | search

Ed Aycock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2020 at 12:12pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Anybody who watched the early episodes- do you like how "The Blue Whale" played the same two songs over and over?

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2020 at 1:41pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

A wonderful "warm and cozy" supernatural horror series if ever there was such a creature.

Marc

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2020 at 12:31am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I met Lara Parker (Angelique) who was attending classes at my college and she was quite amused that someone who wasn't old enough to have seen the show on TV still was so into it. It was being rerun on SciFi network. Of course I also asked about her appearance on Galactica 1980 playing William Daniels' wife. They pick up a hitchhiking Cylon strangely enough.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |