Posted: 26 April 2020 at 11:59am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Or—Urgh!—an eventual remake/reboot.
--------------------------------
Well, we did have Metastasis. 
Back to Top profile | search

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2020 at 12:02pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I love how Dalton just swept in with Lalo and became such a natural element of the show in just a few episodes - but he mainly works because he's such a good foil for the rest of the characters. A spinoff of his own would not have that value. 
------------------------------------------------------------ ---------
My immediate response to this was to think that someone could have said the same about Saul Goodman based on his Breaking Bad appearances.  Then that made me think about how much Lalo is like Saul Goodman.  Flashy, glib, a glad-hander....which is a comparison that hadn't occurred to me before.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2020 at 12:42pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I thought of the comparison as well - but the question of "How did a regular guy become Saul Goodman?" sounds more compelling than "How did Lalo become a heavy-hitter of the Salamanca family?"

And yeah, that's one thing I liked - Lalo actually LIKED Saul! He saw him as a kindred spirit, in a way.

I'll be curious to know if Lalo will still have that feeling in Season 6. He knows that he's been betrayed, but he may not even bother messing with Saul over it - because the root problem was higher up the chain.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2020 at 1:15pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Or—Urgh!—an eventual remake/reboot.
--------------------------------
Well, we did have Metastasis. 
+++++++

Technically a foreign adaptation instead of a remake, though!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2020 at 8:06am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

----------------------------------------
But it raises the question, is this next:  LINK 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2020 at 3:19pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

----------------------------------------

But it raises the question, is this next: LINK
+++++++++++++

That would be cool, wouldn't it?

John Harrison
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2020 at 12:14am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Went back rewatched every episode of BCS its just gets better and better and I
would dare say its the better show over BB.

I was used to think Mike was the most interesting character even outshining
Saul but damn somehow Kim stole S5

Not sure how the pandemic effected BCS cant wait for it to come back

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 05 August 2020 at 12:40am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

So my wife and I took some time in our pandemic life to catch up on BETTER CALL SAUL.  We had seen the first season when it originally aired, but fell away from it by the time the second season aired.  I'll stop here to say that we were avid fans of BREAKING BAD, so we knew what we were getting into.  We decided to remedy our BB gap by marathoning the first four seasons on Netflix.

Holy.  Fucking.  Shit.  

What a fantastic series.  

It's so good that I searched out Season 5 streaming options right away only to be met with frustration, so I ponied up $20 on iTunes just to watch it.  I didn't want to wait until 2021 to catch up. 

So many things I could say, but the most important for me is this...I think SAUL is a better series than BREAKING BAD. Heresy, I know. But hear me out.  I think the producing/writing team (which has been together for a very long time) have gotten better at what they do and what they do is create great television.  That said?  I'd still tell people to watch BB first and then SAUL.  I think it works best as a prequel seen after the events of the original than as one seen in order.  So many callbacks to BB in SAUL that would otherwise go over a viewers head seen in strict chronological order.  That, to me, is one of the many brilliant things about SAUL: watching the world of BB being built in SAUL after you already know how it's been torn down while simultaneously not knowing how Jimmy actually comes out of it in the end.  

Can't wait for S6 whenever that may arrive.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2020 at 7:15am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

You’re exactly right, Matt. BCS is better than BB. It’s one of the best
shows on tv ever and certainly the best on right now.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2020 at 2:23pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

It's been a pleasant surprise since the first episode and has only gotten better each season. Best of all is that while BCS is a refracted / distorted echo of BB with shared characters and incidents (typically of the inciting variety), it is also very much its own thing. Imitation and reiteration of huge success can be a difficult temptation to resist but BCS has avoided almost every pitfall I feared it would fall into and created its own style and story and legacy.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 August 2020 at 9:21pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I suppose it would be remiss of me if I didn’t mention that Odenkirk and Seehorn were snubbed by the Emmys, this year. But, then again, I no longer care about such matters, since I don’t need Hollywood’s (or what’s left of it) little circle-jerk parties to validate my feelings about this amazing show. I’m several step beyond being done with it all. The entire landscape is changing, and it needs to.

I just need the final season of BCS to stick the landing, and then I’m seriously considering stepping away from modern entertainment entirely. BREAKING BAD already kinda ruined TV for me, because nothing else will ever top the level of excitement I felt diving into that show for the first time. And then BCS came along, tapped me on the shoulder, and showed me how Gilligan and his team should so casually and so sneakily top themselves. No longer are they reliant upon gunfights and cliffhanger endings. The stakes are technically much lower—very few people have actually died in BCS—but the emotional and moral stakes are just as high as they were on BB. This show has turned inward. It’s about hearts and minds rather than any sort of cliched crime-drama tropes. It’s hinges on ethics and choices, perhaps ever more so than its predecessor. 

And I have no doubt that BCS will stick the landing. This show and the people running it are the epitome of everything I want from a scripted drama series. Consummate professionalism and talent combined with a deep and clear passion for the art of storycraft. “Where is Jimmy’s head at?”, rather than, “We need to employ Plot Device X to boost ratings and/or appeal to a particular demographic”. The storytelling is dictated by the characters. It’s organic and honest and raw and brilliant. With that in mind, I have no doubt that they’ll craft the right ending for this show and these characters, rather than turning the show into BREAKING BAD- lite, or “subverting expectations” with hackery and nonsense. 

And, having spent the past few years watching virtually every nerd franchise I love burn completely to the ground, I need BCS to stick the landing. It’s become my oasis in the desert. The one thing which remains right in the entertainment world for me, year after year. So, I need it to stick the landing, and then I need seasons 5-6 and EL CAMINO on Blu-Ray (...physical media forever, dagnabbit!) so I can have the entire Gilliganverse Saga on my shelf, withdraw from modern entertainment, and dive into my considerable backlog of old comics, books, and movies.

Anyway, I can’t really choose a favorite. And why should I have to? I think my heart will always belong to BREAKING BAD, simply because it was the first, had the most shocking impact, and because of the slow and careful depiction of Walter White’s transformation, which is truly staggering and unforgettable. 

But, as I’ve noted in the past, BCS is the more refined, more subtle version of this type of long-form storytelling by the talented men and women who have been cranking out top-notch entertainment for nearly 13 solid years.

At the end of the day, there’s no need to play favorites. I see it all as one giant story, spread across two shows and one feature film. People who love BB can enjoy it without watching BCS. And BCS stands on its own without needing to use BB as a crutch (although there are many, many, MANY more layers to appreciate if one goes in having seen BB beforehand).

I’ve been following the various recent interviews with cast and crew regarding development of the final season. They’re currently using Zoom to plot things out in a virtual Writers’ Room. Here’s hoping that production can commence in a reasonable amount of time, and that it runs safely and smoothly. I know the final product will be worth the wait, however long that may be.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 19 August 2020 at 9:22pm

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2020 at 8:08am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Finally!

<< Prev Page of 11 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |