Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Dr. Who MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Dr. Who Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Series Twelve II Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 January 2020 at 11:39am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Made this thread, because for some reason I cannot post in the original one. see my `Testing' post for an explanation why.

INVISO TEXT (Click or highlight to reveal):
`Ruth' clearly cannot be a past incarnation, unless time has been screwed with. But even so, wouldn't it have changed Thirteen's memories to remember that version? We've seen all the Doctor's regenerations, and even though some people on Facebook are trying to use BRAIN OF MORBIUS to allow her to be a past incarnation, they're forgetting that its been established that the First (Hartnell) is the one who stole the TARDIS and got it stuck as a Police Box on the outside.

Ruth's behavior doesn't jibe with `our' Doctor. The only incarnation that would have been callous and uncaring about the gun sabotage and resultant death would be Six, and I can't see that version attacking a Judoon. 

Ruth is clearly from an alternate reality/dimension/universe/whatever. But that brings into question the Master and destroyed Gallifrey: are they `our' Doctor's or Ruth's? 

Personally, I suspect (and hope) that the Master is a past, Classic Era incarnation we haven't seen before (maybe the one that ends up burned/decayed from DEADLY ASSASSIN, or the one right before it?) OR the one who becomes Professor Yana. The use of the Tissue Compression Eliminator makes that likely, since Saxon dropped it in favor of the Laser Screwdriver, and Missy didn't use the TCE, either.

As for Gallifrey, if it is `our' Doctor's planet that was destroyed, its poetic justice that the Master should be their destroyer since the Time Lords are responsible for his madness to begin with. But this also means unfortunately that the common Gallifreyans, Leela, and good Time Lords (most we've seen are a-holes) like Romana are also dead if that's the case.

Also, Captain Jack meets Thirteen, or we riot!

Edited by Brian Floyd on 28 January 2020 at 11:40am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 28 January 2020 at 12:00pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

My head hurts.
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 January 2020 at 12:22pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Lol. Believe me, you're not alone!

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 28 January 2020 at 12:32pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

And, I should mention, I am one who totally bought the “reveal” in THE BRAIN OF MORBIUS. Made perfect sense to me, then fairly recently introduced to the idea of the Doctor having “changed his appearance before” (as the Daleks put it in my “return” episode, DAY OF THE DALEKS).

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 January 2020 at 6:24pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

That’s true, Brian, unless...

...the Morbius faces and Ruth come from a pre-Hartnell history that’s been erased from memory and replaced with lies.  Ala the Master’s rant after destroying Gallifrey.  The Doctor, the Master, and the rest could have thousand’s of years of history now unknown to them as part of a cover-up.  And Chibnall has said, on record, that Ruth is not from an alternate dimension/timeline.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 January 2020 at 1:07am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Some other theories I've read bandied about:

1. Its Susan! - Ummmm.....no. The sonic screwdriver scan said they're the same person. Even if Susan actually was related to the Doctor, I think the sonic would be able to tell the difference. Plus, if it is her, where did she get a TARDIS from? (This would also be a very shitty way to reintroduce the character.) 

2. Along the lines of what Steve said, its a pre-Hartnell incarnation. Sorry, doesn't explain the Doctor having a TARDIS, and if history had been replaced, then why would it still be a police box?

3. Its somehow the Meta-Crisis Doctor regenerated - Well, that Doctor is human, and doesn't have a TARDIS.

Some people also think what's going on this season smacks of Chibnall doing his version of the Cartmel Masterplan. That, I can see. But doesn't necessarily mean that is what is going on, though.

My personal theory if what Chibnall has said is true:

Ruth is a clone! Possibly Jenny regenerated (but how did she get a TARDIS?) or of another past incarnation (Maybe the War Doctor? Wouldn't put it past the Time Lords to make a clone as a back up during the Time War) that obviously regenerated differently and doesn't realize she's not the real deal. She acquired a TARDIS and chose to have its exterior stuck as a police box....or whoever released her set it up that way. If the clone is Jenny, she might be confused and not realize that Thirteen is a regeneration of her father, not herself.

Edited by Brian Floyd on 29 January 2020 at 1:59am

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 29 January 2020 at 7:36am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Chibnail. I refuse to trust anyone whose name sounds like he should be a character in GORMENGHAST.

Robbie Moubert
Byrne Robotics Member

Evertonian

Posted: 29 January 2020 at 5:01pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

For years fans have speculated that the Troughton Doctor and Jamie in The Two Doctors are from after The War Games but before he regenerated. The main reason seems to be because they look older. The suggestion is that there was a "Season 6b" where the Doctor carried out missions for the Celestial Intervention Agency before finally being exiled to Earth, and at some point he was reunited with Jamie (although Victoria is mentioned in the Two Doctors as well). Some have suggested Ruth Doctor could be a regenerated Troughton who had her memory wiped before regenerating into Pertwee which is why Jodie Doctor doesn't remember her. Former script-editor Terrance Dicks wrote a novel with the Troughton Doctor carrying out missions for the CIA and having his memory wiped after each one.

Regarding Captain Jack and his scenes being shot by the director of episodes nine and ten, the same director has also done a (Christmas?) special so that might feature Jack and Chibnall can truthfully say he won't be back this season. I wonder if we're in for a big end-of-season cliffhanger?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Phil Frances
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 January 2020 at 4:06pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I really enjoyed the Judoon episode. I've no clue as to what the implications of it all mean, but that's great - it was the most exciting DW has been in a good while.

Edited by Phil Frances on 31 January 2020 at 4:07pm

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2020 at 9:37pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I think the Chibnall masterplan seems to be to put as much distance from actual Doctor Who as is possible in hopes to attract a different fanbase, than the one that has steadily been abandoning it for the last 4 or 5 years.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2020 at 9:25am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I think the Chibnall masterplan seems to be to put as much distance from actual Doctor Who as is possible 
--------------------------------------------
When I see comments like this, I wonder if you haven't been watching this season?  This comment made sense after last season, but this season has just been a continual stream of references, plot-threads, Easter eggs, characters, and concepts from the classic show and the Davies era.  Fair enough if you don't like it...but he's doing the exact opposite of distancing it from Doctor Who.

Unless you define 'actual Doctor Who' as Moffatt, whom he does seem to be trying to ignore.

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2020 at 4:51pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Unless you define 'actual Doctor Who' as Moffatt, whom he does seem to be trying to ignore.

Not so sure about that myself. The whole Previously Unknown Mystery Incarnation of The Doctor stuff is a steal from Moffatt (not that I'm defending Moffatt, who himself plundered the Virgin New Adventures and BBC novels for ideas).

Page of 7 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |