Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Trade Paperback Collections We’d Like To See Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2020 at 6:19pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I keep hoping that DC would finish the two Crisis on Multiple Earths tpb series they had going. They had one with the JLA/JSA team-ups and a second with individual team-ups). Only one volume to go of the former (and yes, I can't say the tradition ended strong, but #219-220 was an early purchase of mine and a nostalgic favorite), so at least that.

Beyond that, my heart belongs to single issues, so my "collection interests" tend to be things I can't afford to buy in single issue form, like the Golden Age books.

If economic realities don't allow for comprehensive collections, at least cover the stories with the super villains that still appear from time to time (more a DC thing there). An Alan Scott book with all of the Harlequin stories, Hawkman's stories with Gentleman Ghost and Neptune Perkins (not that he's a villain), Jay Garrick with Fiddler, Shade, the Thinker, etc.

Also, I keep hoping for a Simon/Kirby Manhunter book to complete that period. It'll mostly be non-Simon/Kirby stories and will have to include the 70s First Issue Special to beef up the page count, but I still want it.

I've also heard about/seen snippets of various pre-Superman Siegel/Shuster strips (Doctor Occult, Federal Men, Spy, etc.), which would make for a nice collection or two or however many.    

Don't have any specific Marvels to request, but I'd be interested in seeing more of that stuff, too. (Preferably starting post-War and working their way back.)
Back to Top profile | search

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2020 at 6:32pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

One more thought - the full Weisinger Superman including all spin offs in publication sequence jumping between all of the Superman Family books (Action, Adventure, Superman, Jimmy, Lois, Superboy, Supergirl).

Note that would mean kicking off the series well before the traditional Action Comics #241.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2020 at 6:39pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Marvel's ROM and Master of Kung Fu and Epic Collections of Hercules, Namor and the Cat/Tigra, some Western collections (Two-Gun Kid, Kid Colt, Rawhide Kid, original Ghost Rider).

Back to Top profile | search | www

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2020 at 6:46pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Robert,

I would LOVE to see ROM (and Marvel's GI JOE) reprinted, but I think there are licensing issues that prevent it.

Marc

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2020 at 7:05pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Marc - I know, they didn't say I had to be realistic!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2020 at 7:18pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Some of those exist...

IDW reprinted Marvel's GI Joe in a 15 volume (I think) "Classic GI Joe" series. It's been a bit so I don't know if it's still in print.

Master of Kung-Fu got the Omnibus treatment (four volumes). There are also two Epic collections out there that get you from the beginning to #51.

A Cat/Tigra collection just came out with the Cat series, Marvel Chillers, Giant Size Creatures, plus other stuff.

Second the request for Marvel Westerns, esp. Two Gun Kid.

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2020 at 7:20pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Another one for me - a reprint of all those Henry Boltinoff gag strips that peppered DC comics for however many years. (Although my eternal sympathies will lie with the poor schmo who would have to make sure they found all of them. :-) )      

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2020 at 9:02pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Marvel’s GI JOE series has been collected in multi-volume trades. I’ve
got the first five or six of these. The later ones must’ve had a smaller
print run, because they seem to be quite pricey right now.

I’m about midway thru the second MoKF Omnibus right now. I’d never
read any of this series before starting these Omnibuses. Fun stuff.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2020 at 9:03pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Sorry. I totally missed Dave’s whole first paragraph.

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2020 at 9:26pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I have yet to ever see the George Perez JLA/JSA/Darkseid storyline in JLA ~190 so a TPB would be appreciated.  

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2020 at 9:39pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Peter Hicks wrote:
I have yet to ever see the George Perez JLA/JSA/Darkseid storyline in JLA ~190 so a TPB would be appreciated

Crisis on Multiple Earths v.5 or the upcoming Gerry Conway New Gods HC collection.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2020 at 10:19pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Generations 3 needs a collection badly. Also, even though I just got a collected version of Marvel: The Lost Generation in the Marvel Universe by John Byrne Omnibus Vol 2, it really needs its own collection.

I'd like to see DC finish collecting the last R.E.B.E.L.S series which needed only the last six issues collected to have the whole run. Or continue some of their recent collected volumes like Peter David's Aquaman which they canceled after two volumes or his Supergirl run which was cancelled after 4 volumes. DC is notorious for pulling this stuff.

One thing I really like about the Epic Collections from Marvel is that several of them are collecting some of that material for the very first time. Would like for DC to have something similar. 

Edited by Shane Matlock on 01 February 2020 at 10:21pm

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |