Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Trade Paperback Collections We’d Like To See Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2020 at 9:32am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

ROM needs to be collected. That was a great series.
Back to Top profile | search

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2020 at 12:47pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

QUOTE:
I would love a collection of the Bridwell/Newton SHAZAM stories from the Dollar Comic version of WORLD'S FINEST COMICS

I'd like this one myself. If nothing else, it would be nice to have the two part final story that ran in Adventure Comics #491-492 reprinted at the larger size.

Also agreed about Mr. and Mrs. Superman.

Dave B Stewart
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2020 at 1:04pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

One thing leads to another!  Talk of MICRONAUTS makes me wish for a Michael Golden collection of his DC work, half of which is Batman-related.

Brandon Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2020 at 3:53pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

QUOTE:
I would love a collection of the Bridwell/Newton SHAZAM stories from the Dollar Comic version of WORLD'S FINEST COMICS

I'd like this one myself. If nothing else, it would be nice to have the two part final story that ran in Adventure Comics #491-492 reprinted at the larger size.

Last June, DC published a SHAZAM! THE WORLD'S MIGHTIEST MORTAL VOL 1 hardcover that collected the 70s SHAZAM! comic issues 1-17.  There's a second volume solicited for May 2020 which collects issues 18-35.  Though I haven't heard of any definite plans beyond this, I think it's likely that the World's Finest and Adventure Comics stories would follow in a Volume 3. 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2020 at 3:57pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Always love this topic.

At the top of my list for many years has been Sheldon Mayer's Scribbly stories, especially the Red Tornado stuff. I'd love to have the complete Sugar and Spike on my bookshelf, too.

I wish the DC Archives were still around, since I want to read more of Jack Cole's Plastic Man, Binder and Beck's Captain Marvel, and could use some more Silver Age Flash comics.

Marvel's got a pretty reprint library, and I'm enjoying the staggered publication schedule of the Epic Collections. I'm picking up favorite runs that I only had in the black-and-white Essential format before, and it's nice to have those in full color.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Tim Cousar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2020 at 5:48pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

The SHAZAM! Showcase volume cut off at issue 35. I have a feeling the book solicited for May may be the end of this set, too.

Brandon Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2020 at 10:30am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The SHAZAM! Showcase volume cut off at issue 35. I have a feeling the book solicited for May may be the end of this set, too.

The amount of remaining material left to collect from World's Finest and Adventure Comics would be about the same in number of pages as those of the first two hardcover volumes, whereas there wouldn't have been enough material left for a comparably sized second Showcase volume.  Hopefully, that increases the odds for a third hardcover volume.  I'm sure sales also play a part, though.  If the first volume didn't generate enough sales, the chances of a third volume decrease.  For that matter, there is also the chance that the second volume could be canceled before seeing print. 

Joe Murray
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2020 at 4:10pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Lotsa great ideas here.  I'd like to add these (or support those already listed):

JB’s OMAC
CAPTAIN VICTORY & THE GALACTIC RANGERS
DR. STRANGE - Roger Stern, Marshall Rogers & Terry Austin - OK sure, add the MARVEL FANFARE #5 Rogers issue
DESTROYER DUCK
A Byrne CHARLTON OMNIBUS would be cool.

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2020 at 5:04pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Roy Thomas' ALL-STAR SQUADRON and INFINITY INC.

I've been waiting forever for those series of published in their entirety.

Edited by James Johnson on 04 February 2020 at 5:08pm

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2020 at 9:47pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

“The Last Galactus Story”

I don’t even care that it has no ending.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2020 at 9:57pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

A Byrne Charlton Omnibus would be most welcome, especially if they can actually reproduce the printing rather than simply offering us a collection of digitally photographed pages as is becoming far too common. And if successful, they could follow up with collections featuring Steve Ditko, Jim Aparo, and Joe Staton!

I'd never thought about how much of the later Shazam by Newton has gone uncollected. Unfortunately, the work on assembling the first two volumes is largely already done. Putting in the work to create a third volume may be more than DC's fumble-thumbed editorial department can handle.

Brandon Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2020 at 11:59am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

MARVEL SAGA was mentioned earlier in this thread.  I would like to see a color collection of it.  Also, though, I would like to see something similar, except using the full stories to show the early days of the Marvel Age, showing how the books interrelated and what was going on elsewhere at about the same time. It would include the major Marvel titles or features of the time: Fantastic Four, Ant-Man/Giant Man, Incredible Hulk, Human Torch/Thing, Amazing Spider-Man, Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Dr. Strange, Avengers, X-Men,  and Daredevil.  If it were to continue long enough, Sub-Mariner and S.H.I.E.L.D. could be included as well.  It would begin with Fantastic Four 1*, then Fantastic Four 2, the first appearance of Hank Pym from Tales to Astonish 35, another couple of issues of Fantastic Four, Incredible Hulk 1, and so on.  Issues would be collected mostly chronologically in publication order but continued stories could be collected together and stories could be switched around in cases where one story obviously takes place before another one. A couple of Omnibus volumes would be enough to go through the end of 1963.  5 or 6 omnibi could go through the Coming of Galactus from Fantastic Four 50.  Smaller editions similar to Marvel's Epic Collection line would be fine too.   

*or possibly the first appearance of Groot from Tales to Astonish 13!

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |