Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Trade Paperback Collections We’d Like To See Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 February 2020 at 12:03am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I wouldn't mind TPBs of Herb Trimpe's run on THE INCREDIBLE HULK....
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 February 2020 at 9:14am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Same. The Epic Collection seems to be steadily getting that run reprinted. I love that period of Hulk comics. Just such a fun journey where you never really knew what the Hulk would be doing next. 
Back to Top profile | search

Brett C. Flechaus
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 February 2020 at 4:19pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I would like to see that years worth of Tales of the Legion collected.I second the desire to see those last issues of R.E.B.E.L.S. collected, even if it means it gets reissued as a "Complete" collection in a Fat trade or two.The last few arcs of Sandman Mystery Theater need to be collected.Hoping the new fat trade of Justice league International gets the rest of JLI/JLE properly finished this time since I'm not an Omnibus fan and the last run of TPBs fizzled out.
***edited to add:   The Birds of prey between tpb#3 & the Gail Simone tpbs.

Edited by Brett C. Flechaus on 10 February 2020 at 4:21pm

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 February 2020 at 5:18pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Ditto on Trimpe!

To be honest, I want properly numbered, uniform TPBs of everything Marvel did between 1961 and 1988 or so.  For DC, I want all the Earth One stuff from DETECTIVE COMICS #327 right up to CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS.

After those points, I just follow the talent, like JB's AVENGERS WEST COAST, etc., Starlin's THANOS stuff, various Perez, Ordway, and some others.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 February 2020 at 10:49pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

May be the only one, and may not be possible (rights issues?), but how about a TPB of all the RUDOLPH THE RED-NOSED REINDEER comics that DC did?

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2020 at 12:20am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Good call! I think a book like that would sell well not only to fans of Sheldon Mayer and obscure DC material, but to kids in general! We could flesh it out, if necessary, with Sugar & Spike Christmas stories! It'd be extra-nice if it could be printed on larger-than-usual paper stock as well to try to duplicate that "treasury-size" feel.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2020 at 6:48pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

And hence my second round of desired but unprinted TPBs...

I want - and I'd like to think I'm not alone - a collection of the Deadman stories from Adventure comics, with Jim Aparo and then Jose Garcia-Lopez art. I drool at the thought of it.

Two collections of the Marvel Family; the Golden Age and the Modern Age (well, I guess I mean 1972 - current.) There were a lot of good individual Marvels stories, but not all that many modern era stories. Enough to fill a TPB, I'll wager.

I'd like to see a special TPB of Wonder Woman stories. Maybe her Nubia stories, the tale where she switched to her new outfit, the Judgment in Infinity trio, maybe the DC Retroactive books, Wonder Woman 300, a Wonder Woman family tale... there's a big variety of enough off beat stories to fill a trade.

Marvel is a big one for team ups. Especially Spider-Man and the Thing, but plenty others as well. How about a TPB of, say, Fantastic Four team-ups? Captain Marvel appeared in Annual #8, the Avengers crossed over in Mr. Byrne's Galactus tale as well as FFs 25 and 26, and I'll wager plenty folks would love to re-read Fantastic Four #53. There's easily enough material to make such a Trade a hit. I'll buy it.

Enough of more ideas... but I'd love to catch those.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2020 at 9:44pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I could be wrong about this, but I think Nubia only showed up in three issues, one of those being a Fradon-illustratrated Super Friends appearance. 

Once again thinking of the chil-der-in in assembling a collection, a great deal of fun could be had, I think, with either a straight-up Wonder Tot collection or a book with Wonder Tot stories mixed with Superbaby stories and the times that Batman, the Legion, and Lois Lane were turned into infants. 

Wonder Tot was prominently featured in the Gal Gadot film, remember, and the stories from the Sixties were wacky and imaginative. If we just kept to those featuring Tot herself and maybe threw in a Wonder Girl tale or two, we could prime the publishing pump for a Wonder Family collection afterwards. They're out of continuity, you say? Every story DC has ever published has been said to be out of continuity at one point or another as they rush breathlessly towards their next Crisis and the next...

If they could do a collection of their greatest ape stories (and they did. I own it!) they could do "Toddling Towards Justice!" or "Crisis on Infant Earths!" 

Eric, I'd like to see that FF team-up plan come about, but as individual volumes, one with just the Avengers cross-overs and maybe one with individual heroes like Daredevil. You could do a Spider-Man/FF collection, if that doesn't already exist.

How about a collection of battles against Satan? Marvel could put together an assemblage of Mephisto tales while over at DC, Superman battled the "Devil's Harp," Captain Marvel fought for his evil uncle's lost soul, and Lois married the Devil. I'm certain it wouldn't prove to be an exorcise in futility. :-)

Edited by Brian Hague on 13 February 2020 at 9:45pm

Jan Bentzen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2020 at 2:17am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Jack Kirby´s Fourth World by Byrne
Blood of the Demon by Byrne
Rune by Barry Windsor-Smith
Monkeyman and O'Brien by Arthur Adams

Michael Casselman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2020 at 10:09am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Eric Sofer: DC, about 6 years ago, put out a collection of those Adventure Deadman issues, "Deadman Volume 4"

It was part of a 5 part TPB series reprinting all of Deadman's major appearances up to COIE.

Brandon Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2020 at 2:20pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

How about a collection of battles against Satan? Marvel could put together an assemblage of Mephisto tales while over at DC, Superman battled the "Devil's Harp," Captain Marvel fought for his evil uncle's lost soul, and Lois married the Devil. I'm certain it wouldn't prove to be an exorcise in futility. :-)

Brian, Marvel's Mephisto collection is coming in April!

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2020 at 4:06pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Mike Grell's WARLORD.

Don McGregor's and Gene Colan's NATHANIEL DUSK.

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |