Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7
Topic: Trade Paperback Collections We’d Like To See Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2020 at 4:44pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I remember being upset when Shooter cancelled GHOST RIDER at issue #81 because "it was time to end his story," but now I see that would make a tidy set of TPBs.

And where is the original DEFENDERS?!?  That was tailor-made for Epic Collections!  One volume of pre-Gerber, then Gerber, then Kraft.  Those would all be on the top of my buy list.
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2020 at 5:23pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Some things have been collected--but in the wrong (in my opinion) way!  Dark Horse collected Marvel's 70's CONAN comics, but on glossy paper!  I would much prefer John Buscema art on matte paper.  Same thing with Jim Aparo's BATMAN work!

And, conversely, Wolfman/Perez's NEW TEEN TITANS and Perez's WONDER WOMAN have both been printed on matte paper--I'd probably prefer to see Perez art on glossy!

I second Grell's WARLORD!  But I'm torn--I'd like to see the Grell-inked issues on glossy paper, but the Colletta-inked stories on matte!

And can we have O'Neil/Kaluta's DC SHADOW issues collected with the Marvel SHADOW graphic novel they did?

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2020 at 6:44pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Brian H. - You're right, there were only three Nubia appearances. So?

Also, I would be entirely happy with Avengers/Fantastic Four: The World's Great Team Ups!

Michael C: Baby, you're the greatest!

I guess I need to ask; are we separating TPBs from Essentials and Showcase Presents? Because I know, for instance, that there are Essential Defenders and DC Showcase Presents the Warlord. So I reckon I need to know before I start recommending collections to my friends here.

I thought of another I'd like to see... Superman's Imaginary Children. Between Superman and Action, World's Finest, and Superman 2964, I'll wager there are plenty of these stories. Heck, throw in "For the Man Who Has Everything", Action Comics 400... and yes, I know most of those are Curt Swan. You got a problem with that? You want I should bop you on the head with this here lollipop?

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2020 at 6:58pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Eric Jansen, those early Defenders are coming to Epic Collections. I'm kind of surprised one hasn't been announced for this year since they were pretty good about collecting the end of the run with a new volume yearly. I have picked up all four Epic Collections of Defenders so far. Also the Epic Collections are doing Conan the Marvel Years on non-glossy paper. First volume is already solicited. I picked up the first Marvel omnibus of that material but found it over priced for the page count and it too was on shiny paper. 

The next Epic Collection I'm looking forward to is Excalibur Vol 4 Curiouser and Curiouser which is filled with Alan Davis goodness and I believe starts with the issue where he returned as artist and became the writer as well. I remember it pretty fondly and want to see if it holds up. I skipped vol 2 and 3 because I remembered those as being not that great (although it was the first time that material ever got collected), but did get Volume 1.

If Marvel keeps printing all of this stuff that's never been collected in Epic Collections and Marvel Masterworks and Omnibuses eventually their whole line up to Onslaught/Heroes Reborn will be completely collected. But there's always the chance they will stop at some point like they did with the Essentials line. But the fact they are still producing MMWs makes me think we'll likely see it all unless they go bust.

Edited by Shane Matlock on 14 February 2020 at 7:02pm

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2020 at 8:33pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Brandon Carter wrote: "Brian, Marvel's Mephisto collection is coming in April!"

Speak of the Devil, and he will appear... 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2020 at 8:57pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Eric S., there would still be come other artists in that collection of stories featuring Superman's many imaginary children. Leo Dorfman did a couple, I believe, and I know Wayne Boring drew the "Superman Jr." story from the Fifties. But hey, I have no problem with a Curt Swan-heavy collection of any sort! No lollipop-bopping necessary, Mr. Popnecker, sir!

My favorite of Superman's offspring-who-will-never-be is Laura Kent from Superman Family #200, an issue set entirely in an imaginary future, with all of the characters gathering to celebrate Clark and Lois's anniversary. I don't know that there's only just one chapter that would showcase her, however...

I stopped in at a comics store today (something I almost never do anymore...) and saw that there's an upcoming crossover between the Avengers and FF called Empyre. Now would be a good time to collect some of their earlier collaborations! 

Looking at some of the preview art, it looks like Brainiac Five has gone insane again... That kid, I swear sometimes...

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2020 at 9:04pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Thanks, Shane!  That's great news about the Epic DEFENDERS and CONAN!  I never bought the CONAN stuff at the time, but I like quality comics and I think I will enjoy these when I read them for the first time!  The DEFENDERS stuff I loved and read multiple times in single issue form and look forward to reading them again as TPBs!  (And again...)

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2020 at 9:40am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

QUOTE:
The next Epic Collection I'm looking forward to is Excalibur Vol 4
Curiouser and Curiouser which is filled with Alan Davis goodness and I believe
starts with the issue where he returned as artist and became the writer as well.
I remember it pretty fondly and want to see if it holds up. I skipped vol 2 and 3
because I remembered those as being not that great (although it was the first
time that material ever got collected), but did get Volume 1.

I only liked EXCALIBUR when Alan Davis was drawing it, and really
enjoyed it when he handled the writing as well. Like JB, Davis is such an
incredible artist that his wonderful writing is often overlooked.
Back to Top profile | search | www

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 7
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |