Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum
Topic: New Comics & Back Issues - 02/12/2020 Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2020 at 9:50am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

After a whole bunch of small weeks, it looks like a fair pile for me this week.  It'll be a couple of days before I get there to pick up the new issues, though.

• BATMAN VS RAS AL GHUL #4 - As is my past experiences with Neal Adams' work, the art far exceeds the story (dialogue).
  • CATWOMAN #20  - More for my son than for me.
  • HARLEY QUINN & BIRDS OF PREY #1 - For both my son and me.  I haven't gone to the movie yet, but I don't think the comic and the movie are related (outside of the title).
  • HARLEY QUINN & POISON IVY #6 - For both my son and me.  I prefer Harley when she's teamed up with someone (esp. Ivy) as opposed to her solo title.
  • SUPERMAN #20 - I haven't read anything beyond issue 17, though I have 18 and 19 already.  I'll get to it.  
  • TERRIFICS #25 - Still behind on this title.
  • AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #39 - This title has become a bit of a let-down after a promising start.  I may have to re-read issue 38 before reading this one.
  • GWEN STACY #1 - Pure nostalga for me.  I'm very interested in this title.  It's amazing how popular Gwen continues to be, even though it's been 47 years since she got bumped off!
  • MARVELS SPIDER-MAN BLACK CAT STRIKES #2 - While it's not in continuity, I really enjoyed the first issue of this series and I'm looking forward to this one.

Back to Top profile | search

Gundars Berzins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2020 at 10:05am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

BATMAN VS RA'S AL GHUL #4
CATWOMAN #20
GOTHAM CITY MONSTERS #6
HAWKEYE FREEFALL #3
JAMES BOND #3
TERRIFICS #25
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2020 at 10:32am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

IMMORTAL HULK # 31 - Another great issue. Actually made Xemnu funny and frightening at the same time.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2020 at 12:15pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

HARLEY QUINN & THE BIRDS OF PREY  #1- Amanda Connor and Jimmy Palmiotti get me on board for this.

IMMORTAL HULK #31- This most recent storyline has been pretty brutal and really shown the Minotaur to be a formidable villain.

THOR #3- This book hasn't given me a reason to drop it yet.

X-FORCE #7- I would have dropped this by now but I think the Colossus story is coming up in the next issue or so. If he's written as immoral as I expect Beast to be written, I'll probably drop this issue.

X-MEN #6- I think that the overall arc for the X-Men is enough of mystery to me to keep me interested. To me, this is an intriguing story because there has to be a reason for so many characters to be written off-model other than Hickman's writing style.

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2020 at 12:59pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

CLOCK #2 - spent the first issue getting us to what we knew from the premise so hoping for more here
BATMANS GRAVE #5 - pointless, but fun Batman/Alfred banter and pretty pictures
GREEN LANTERN SEASON 2 #1 - wasn't going to, but Liam Sharp tweeted that they dropped this to 8 issues and there won't be a "Season 3," so might as well stick around for the rest.
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #39 - I'm more enthused about the book than Phil.
BLACK PANTHER AND AGENTS OF WAKANDA #6 - good clean fun
SYMBIOTE SPIDER-MAN ALIEN REALITY #3 - the last series didn't leave a lot of in-continuity "real estate" for a follow-up, which this one works around by jumping him into an alternate reality. Kind of takes away some of the fun of the visit, but whatever works. And I'm always happy to see more PAD Spider-Man.

Shawn Kane wrote:
there has to be a reason for so many characters to be written off-model other than Hickman's writing style.

Optimist. :-)

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2020 at 2:11pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I've been called The Unrealistic Optimist by many of my friends. X-Men is definitely proof of that!

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2020 at 7:31am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Unusual week in that all the company-owned books I read, which isn't many, all come out this week.

BATMAN'S GRAVE #5 - Beautiful to look at but not much of a story (and I like Ellis usually.)

GWEN STACY #1 - Pure nostalgia trip and I love that Todd Nauck is on the art.

NEBULA #1 - I'm curious to see what they're doing with this character these days.

RAI #4 - I originally bought this for the Juan Jose Ryp art but the story's pretty engaging so far.  I didn't read RAI in the old days of Valiant.

IRON MAN 2020 #2 - Liked the first issue well enough, feels like it's own world so I don't feel like I'm missing something from not reading a lot of Iron Man.

MARVELS X #2 - Read this on a whim but liked it, I didn't read the old Earth X stuff though.

Also --

ALIENATED #1 - Good buzz on a new book so I'll give it a read.

William Costello
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2020 at 12:43pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

DC: Batman's Grave  #5; Green Lantern (Season #2) #1; Superman #20.
MARVEL: X-Men #6.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply | Post New Topic |