Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | TV
Topic: Prodigal Son Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2020 at 10:38am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Anyone else watching this?  I generally don't like procedurals but my wife was starting this and I accidentally got hooked.  Really solid all around - writing, acting, directing, etc.  And the concept is so strong I'm sort of amazed no-one has tried it before (although maybe they have).

Edited by Dave Kopperman on 19 February 2020 at 10:39am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2020 at 1:20pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I tried watching the first episode, but gave up about 10
minutes in. Just seemed to be trying too hard to be
nasty.
Back to Top profile | search

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2020 at 2:21pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I actually missed the pilot, but I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case - pilots often completely plow through nuance and hope that the audience buys in to the premise.  It's not as though they've done away with unpleasantness; really, it comes with the territory.  But as someone who really abhors violence-for-the-sake-of-violence as an entertainment value, I feel like the violence on this show is anchored in the characters and is both earned and generally non-exploitative.  Pretty remarkable, given the concept.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 19 February 2020 at 11:28pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Procedurals aren't my thing.  After trying the first three episodes and discovering this was going to be a "serial killer of the week" series focused on a kid with daddy issues, I bowed out.  Much prefer a series like MANHUNTER where a season takes its time with a single murderous individual while spinning character and conflict of the protagonists over time.  
Back to Top profile | search

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2020 at 8:26am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Yeah, I can see a built-in problem where it burns through the believability quotient after the first season or so.  And Fox has a history of shows with great, rocket-boosted first seasons that tanked HARD in the second season when they tried to rejigger the formula for the long haul (see: Sleepy Hollow).  So there's a good chance this is as good as it gets and will ultimately be diminishing returns.

But I like the kid with daddy issues aspect, and everyone on the cast is delivering the goods.  Even some of the guest performances are beyond impressive.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2020 at 12:46am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

The cast is what's driving the show. I mainly gave it a shot due to Michael Sheen being in it, but everyone is doing a great job. Lou Diamond Phillips and Halston Sage being in it is a bonus, as I'm fan of both actors' previous work (A ton of stuff for Phillips, THE ORVILLE (R.I.P.) * for Sage).

* Yes, I know the show is still around, but when it moved to Hulu, it became dead to me.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2020 at 1:48pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Brian: Did you see the episode where Bright tracks down the angry, drunk ex-cop who had been part of his father's case team?  I thought that performance was so real (the actor playing the ex-cop, that is).

Edited by Dave Kopperman on 21 February 2020 at 1:48pm

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2020 at 2:18pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

QUOTE:
* Yes, I know the show is still around, but when it moved to Hulu, it became dead to me.

Same here, Brian.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2020 at 4:10pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Brian: Did you see the episode where Bright tracks down the angry, drunk ex-cop who had been part of his father's case team?  I thought that performance was so real (the actor playing the ex-cop, that is).

+++++++++++++++++++++
Yes, I did. And I agree with you about that. 

What I also like is that you really don't know what to expect, sometimes. For the first several episodes, I thought his mother was either the father's accomplice and was trying to hide that fact, or was just trying to cover for him as far as the girl in the box was concerned. I like that it turns out she's just a self-absorbed witch except when it comes to her children.

The episode where Doctor Whitly had to operate on the cameraman who was stabbed while his daughter was inteviewing him was also pretty remarkable.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply | Post New Topic |