Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Fan Fic << Prev Page of 52 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN.10--Comments Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2020 at 10:28am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Wow! Things are getting bad!!! Nice to see the twins again (one last time). 

Question: Any chance we’ll see these pages on EBay? Thanks! 
Back to Top profile | search

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2020 at 10:29am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I like the "pointy face plate" Iron Man era armor the best, followed by the "classic" look.

As far as the most recent ELSEWHEN page goes... Wow. As each day passes, it becomes more and more difficult for anyone to deny that this is the best superhero comic being produced!
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 April 2020 at 10:31am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The slow build has shifted into full eruption! I've said this a few times already but I continue to particularly enjoy how the stakes keep ratcheting ever upward.

•••

One of the smaller battles I fought in my early days at Marvel was trying to convince writers that we did not need to “let the readers catch their breaths”. No “slow” issue after a long span of sturm und drang.

After all, every issue is the first issue for somebody!

Tony Frye
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2020 at 11:37am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

In today's Marvel, this storyline would be a company wide crossover event called "Age of The Sentinels" — forcing us to buy 48 books we usually never read, in order to follow the story. 

Everything you've been doing with ELSEWHEN is what I miss about comics. 

I wonder if this storyline would have been picked up by other books while it was going on back in 1980-81? 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Steve Adelson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2020 at 11:42am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Tony, it did happen back in the day, once in a blue moon (e.g., Avengers #127 / FF #150 in 1974).  I can't recall a three-book crossover that far back, although I may be wrong.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 April 2020 at 11:45am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I would certainly have resisted such a notion!!

One of the problems I faced working on JK4W was having almost every story I came up with declared a “great idea for a company crossover” and having to fight to keep it in my own title!

Tony Frye
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2020 at 11:59am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I never understood those company wide mega events, other than creed. The early ones were special, then when they occured every year, they just became expensive and annoying. Probably the biggest reason I became uninterested in reading current comics. 

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 April 2020 at 12:16pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

One of my least favorite things about human beans is the way we seem compelled to regulate and quantify anything we have fun with. Like kicking or throwing a ball around? Turn it into stylized tribal warfare and call it SPORTS. Kids good at spelling? Make it a COMPETITION! Heck, even the spelling itself. Define it, lock it down, and make it WRONG to do anything else.

And so we come to crossovers. What fun! Our favorite heroes visit each other’s books and, unlike guest appearances, bring the story with them.

So let’s grind all the fun out of that!!

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2020 at 12:30pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

So happy to feast my eyes on these new pages, JB... X-MEN: ELSEWHEN is currently the ONLY comic i'm reading and I'm glad you've jammed it with guest-stars galore!! Keep up the great work!

Love the panel art/dialogue with Ben & Logan especially!

-C!

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2020 at 1:18pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I came to hate the company-wide crossovers in very short order. The mutant massacre was just about OK, though I still didn't like the idea of the story spilling over into so many titles and it seemed to mess up so many good characters. Then when the next and then the next one rolled around, I was like "you mean, we're going to do this every summer?" I never bought all the titles involved, so just had huge chunks missing and it meant issues in the titles that I did buy didn't make much sense.

Anyway, putting that to one side... today's page. Things are getting ugly, fast... That's a lot of Sentinels!

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2020 at 2:41pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

What I hope doesn't get overlooked here is the way that JB has been able to include the Avengers, Fantastic Four and other heroes in these issues without the X-Men ever feeling like guests in their own book.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2020 at 2:52pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I liked it best when things happening in one title were reflected in other titles... reflected, not continued, and even then, it was just a bonus for those who read more than one title, not a requirement. I thought Kurt Busiek's Maximum Security 'event' in Marvel comics circa late 2000 was more reflected in other titles, so I buy into that one for the titles I was interested in following and the one or two they listed as important I might not otherwise have bought, and I am fine that there were others I will never read that were tied into it.

It's like The X-Men are battling Phoenix in one part of NTC, and an Avenger flying to something in their story might notice a big flame bird in the distance. It's too bad continuity went from loose and fun like that to anything like 'thou must buyeth ye entire line for three months'.

I think circa 1974 there was that kind of reflection between Captain Marvel, the Avengers, Captain America, and for #150 anyway, The Fantastic Four. I remember the X-Men #45 into Avengers #53 story featuring Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver from the '60s... that's as earlier a two title story I can recall, although it could be a reader of the Avengers at the time could follow it without the X-Men part and vice-versa.

<< Prev Page of 52 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |