thinking how cool it would be to see the "new" X-Men in JB's current art style

And here we are, seeing the most unexpected and wonderful x-book to come
down the pike in a long time.

Back to Top profile | search

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2020 at 10:40am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

QUOTE:
These last two pages remind me of the excellent use of panels in X-MEN: HIDDEN YEARS. I love that series

This weekend would be a good time for me to reread that series. I really enjoyed the pairing of our host with Tom Palmer.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2020 at 4:05pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Tim: I'm still not fully seeing how they would go to Reed Richards. I think I see your point - our personal experience would lead us to change doctors. But this is such a unique situation that they would defer to the authority on mutants and their negative feelings would be swept aside. It is complex - I don't know what will happen. 

•••

JB: Some years back a fan suggested a cool idea for two characters battling each other. However, when he showed me his written plot it turned out to be an all too typical fan story, everybody vs everybody else. 

A lot of fans, given the chance, would write every book as a team up. Spider-Man is fighting Doc Ock? Well, let’s call in Iron Man and the Torch and Thor.....

Thing is, while such stories are fun occasionally—just did one—we have to remember these titles function best when treated as independent entities. Batman becomes a lot less interesting if he’s constantly calling Superman. 

Is it more “logical” for the characters to interact? More “realistic”? Sure. But after a while, it becomes something else: dull.

JB had asked me, what did I see as options for Elaine? One of my answers was “Call Reed Richards? 🤷‍♂️“

... I ALSO mentioned: Elaine being in the mansion would set the stage for some HIGH tension scenes with the X-Men. 

I completely understand the “easy solution“ doesn’t equal an “entertaining story”. I wasn’t suggesting Reed Richards should “jump into an X-Men comic and, at the last second, save the day with a gizmo”. That feels like an “easy solution” to me (also known as “lazy writing”). A dull way to help Jean. 

I strongly believe it’s the job of the storyteller to play out the characters emotions in a believable and relatable way... otherwise, arcs don’t make sense and characters feel “false”. 

Calling Reed Richards isn’t the best storytelling (that’s why I added the “🤷‍♂️“ btw) — but neither is ignoring a character’s emotional setup to move the plot along. I was shocked to see Elaine in the mansion — allowing tests to be run by those are “responsible for harming her child” in the first place. Elaine doesn’t seem to be putting up any fight — she doesn’t show any sign of having mistrust for the X-Men. In my opinion, the recent pages of Elaine didn’t connect with earlier emotional scenes of Elaine and felt “false”. 

Elaine’s emotional follow through is most likely to be seen in upcoming pages... I’m sure scenes of tension and mistrust are coming... or possibly, an explanation of why that mistrust is suddenly gone. I’m sure it will all connect and make sense. 

I’m excited to see where this storyline goes! :)

Jim Petersman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2020 at 6:51pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

We aren't privy to every moment that Jean's parents have been at the mansion. Elaine may have had quite a few things to say when she first arrived. Or, perhaps, her concern for her daughter overrides her distrust of the X-men. Maybe she's just being passive-aggressive to her hosts or speaking really loudly. Who knows *shrug*.

Personally, I find this project frustrating in the sense that there are so many questions I have about Jean and no one to ask of them! I know all of the answers are coming, I just don't want to wait that long. This is such a fun ride and I enjoy each and every moment of it. Thanks again, JB!

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2020 at 6:57pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I just enjoy being taken along for the ride.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 May 2020 at 7:41pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

As long as you don’t end up feeling like you’ve been “taken for a ride” in the old Gangland sense!

Jim Burdo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2020 at 9:55am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I was still in Canada then. The good Doctor was not available where I lived!

--

How about Mr. Pibb?

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 May 2020 at 10:04am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Wasn’t even aware of Mr. Pibb. There was Coca-Cola, Pepsi-Cola, 7-Up, Canada Dry ginger ale, various diet sodas. Plus what seemed like 4,000 brands of root beer—which I disliked intensely.

I looked forward to trips to the States in part for the Dr Pepper.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2020 at 10:30am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

QUOTE:
As long as you don’t end up feeling like you’ve been “taken for a ride” in the old Gangland sense!

It's been a wonderful experience since I stepped aboard back with X-MEN #121, and I doubt that will change any time soon.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2020 at 12:23pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

JB, have you ever tried Faygo Rock & Rye?

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2020 at 12:47pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

This is getting to the wanting to see the next page very badly with this latest page! I love not knowing where things are going!

I think the Dr. Peppers I've had in the U.S. have a much bigger caffeine hit than the ones I have had in Canada, so it's one of those things like canned tamales I indulge in while down (or up) there.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 23 May 2020 at 2:52pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

This is a hell of a cliffhanger! The use of panels is amazing here. As I see
each panel of her eyes, I wonder if Jean's mind can handle what she is seeing.

Rereading full issues this past week, and it's awesome to experience the issues
all at once, which is the intended format. But I really dig the daily dose - it's
back to the newspaper model that led to collected comic books.

<< Prev Page of 45 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |