Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Sports Talk MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Sports Talk << Prev Page of 2
Topic: MLB Owners Eye Early July as Start of Season Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 14 May 2020 at 11:57am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

The more I read about this, the more I feel it won't happen. It's a given that the
stands will be empty, which we would all adapt to immediately because we're
hungry for baseball. I think ultimately the health of the players will determine if
this happens.

The reality appears to be that the players themselves would be in danger of
passing the virus amongst themselves, and they can not do that for their own
health, nor can they exhibit this behavior publicly. It's too contagious for
someone to slide into home. Beyond the now unacceptable spitting, there's
too much close contact and intense activity, even with masks.

What we are seeing now is MLB so insistent on money that they are making
public plans, putting the safety of the players with their union. And that's a
heavy weight for them to decide. Baseball is such a symbol of America that I
fear this season will be politicized no matter what they do.

Its a no-win situation, and I think player health will make the final decision to
cancel.

Back to Top profile | search

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2020 at 7:44pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I think it would be a bad idea to play at all this year. Hope they decide against it. 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2020 at 1:02pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

If baseball can't make it work, I don't see how any of the other major sports remotely could. Basketball features much closer and more frequent contact and everyone plays with the same communal ball constantly getting sweated on and touched by every player on both teams. While football players at least have more pads and clothing covering more of them, they are in continuous contact and tackles couldn't be less socially distanced. Hockey is somewhere in between those two but clearly much less distanced than baseball.

On the other hand, if every pro player is kept in isolation during the whole season after a two week quarantine and constantly tests negative, what is the real risk? Catching something from a pool of people who are healthy and are kept separated from the rest of the population seems lower risk. But can you do that? I find it hard to believe players would stand for being completely locked down for months on end. Many might with their paycheck on the line, but I think plenty would find it impossible to abide by such restrictions long term.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2020 at 8:20pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

And it looks like we'll have a season of sorts:  LINK

60 games beginning July 23rd or 24th.  Training on July 1.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 24 June 2020 at 10:17pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

What a fucking mess.  MLB has been tarnished in a horrible fashion.  The collective shrug you hear from even diehard fans is emblematic of all sides handling this in quite possibly the worst way ever.  

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2020 at 11:03pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I actually agree. Would have been better off not even bothering, and some players who have guaranteed money contracts could actually end up owing their teams money. For instance, Collin McHugh could possbly end up having to pay the Red Sox a little over $64,000 to pitch for them.

Just glad we won't have to deal with the extended playoffs and universal DH bullshit this year. 

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2020 at 7:43pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

11 players quickly test positive for COVID-19. Three games suspended, the Marlins are already basically depleted after one weekend. I always doubted teams could navigate the pandemic without a bubble but baseball has just demonstrated the folly of trying to have a football season. Football has far more contact, far more players and no reasonable hope of containing this. Shame on the NFL or college football if they still try to go forward.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 27 July 2020 at 10:52pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Said the same thing myself after reading about this, Rick.  We'll see how the NBA does with placing players in a bubble, but MLB always seemed destined to fail to me with trying to maintain some semblance of normality by continuing to travel to all ballparks in the country.  At this moment that's exactly what the NFL is planning to do, which is madness to me.  And CFB with exponentially more teams and thus more travel is just inviting a nightmare scenario.  

But it's all good when I get a "personalized" email from Roger Goodell (insert eye roll emoji):
Matthew, 

This week training camps across the country are starting and before we know it, the NFL season will be here. This is always the most optimistic time of year for our fans, and for all 32 teams. In a year that has been extraordinarily difficult for our country and the world, we hope the energy of this moment will provide some much-needed optimism.

In the months since the COVID-19 pandemic turned the world upside down, we have navigated the time carefully, thoughtfully and in partnership with the NFL Players Association with a shared goal of playing a healthy and complete 2020 season. This process has not been easy Ė COVID-19 will continue to present a major challenge to nearly every area of American life. Football is no exception. 

Every step of the way, our focus has been on the safety of players, coaches, personnel, fans and our communities. Our planning has followed the lead of medical experts and public health officials, including the CDC, the White House Task Force, governors and state health officials. As we have developed our 2020 playbook for the return of football, safety continues to be our first priority; that commitment will remain paramount as players return to the field.

The NFL in 2020 will not look like other years. Players and coaches will be tested for the virus regularly, including every day for a while. Preseason games have been canceled. Everyone in the team environment must follow rigorous health and safety protocols to keep themselves and each other safe. When there is a positive test, strict regulations will be enforced to isolate and care for that individual and to contain the virus before it spreads. Even the sideline will look different. And, state and local health guidelines will help determine whether fans will attend the games. These adjustments are necessary to reduce the risk for everyone involved. 

Thanks to the collaboration of the players and a lot of hard work from our clubs, especially their medical and training staffs, our plans are in place for the 2020 season. Have a look inside the Rams training facility for some of these plans in action.

Adaptability and flexibility will be needed for the foreseeable future. After all, even the best game plan changes as new challenges arise. This yearís NFL Draft is a good example that embracing change can still deliver the fun and excitement we all crave. 

While this year will forever be defined by a heartbreaking global pandemic and a transformative social justice movement, I am reminded of the tenacious, resilient spirit of our country, the NFL community, and you, the greatest fans in the world. Thank you for your continued support.

Now letís play football,

Roger Goodell
Roger Goodell
NFL Wilson Football

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2020 at 5:34am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Every step of the way, our focus has been on the safety of players,
coaches, personnel, fans and our communities. Our planning has
followed the lead of medical experts and public health officials,
including the CDC, the White House Task Force, governors and state
health officials. As we have developed our 2020 playbook for the return
of football, safety continues to be our first priority; that commitment will
remain paramount as players return to the field.

Bullshit.

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2020 at 10:37am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Matt,

I also received that "personalized" email from the commissioner.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 28 July 2020 at 12:18pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I was loving the return of baseball, even though I couldn't figure out how they
were using best practices while traveling and going home every night. As
players get sick and pass the virus on, the only positive thing that baseball will
be contributing is a stark and public example of what happens when you break
quarantine during a pandemic.

And as always, what happens in sports is a reflection of our society. US
teachers are talking about a strike rather than start up too early. Maybe
baseball shutting down can help shine a light on how we as a nation are
managing a re-opening.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2020 at 8:31pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

15 Marlins players have tested positive. That's 1/4th the roster!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |