Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | TV Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: STARGIRL Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2020 at 3:36am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Rather than further drifting on the CW thread, I figured I'd continue the discussion of the show on its own thread. Since some people are watching on The CW, I won't get into specifics on Episode 2 yet other than to note that the streaming budget really shows. From the costumes to the special effects to the music.

I'm curious what they intend to do if STARGIRL gets another season, since all of DC Universe's original content is airing elsewhere, and I don't think they can make the same show on a network budget.
Back to Top profile | search

Bryan Eacret
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2020 at 9:01am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Is the streaming budget a good thing or a bad thing?

I'm curious about this show, but have not really enjoyed the CW shows much. 

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2020 at 5:47am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I'd say the budget is a good thing. The STRIPE mechanized armour looks as good as any of the Robots in Real Steel. (Which was a proper feature film.) Gave me some real 'Iron Giant' vibes when Courtney was interacting with him.

All in all, a very enjoyable show so far. It's nice to have a more fun optimistic superhero series again. It kind of reminds me of early Buffy.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2020 at 7:32am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I enjoy this wholly, and undoubtedly the influence of Geoff Johns is a large piece of this. It seems that he wants to reassemble the JSA around Stargirl and S.T.R.I.P.E., and that would be fine with me.

The Injustice Society intrigues me as well since it's not just a single villain; that's something that hasn't really been done in the Arrowverse except for the Legion of Doom in Legends. Mixing it up creates interest.

In episode 2, "S.T.R.I.P.E.", (SPOILER WARNING), a character named Barbara (?) Chapel was introduced; this makes me think her daughter, Beth, will be presented, and become the new Dr. Mid-Nite. And Brainwave went down last night, so his son, Henry King. Jr., might be on deck as Brainwave Jr.

I wonder about the rest of Infinity Inc. and who could be pretty easily done. Fury, surely, but her parentage has to kinda change. Ditto for the Huntress. I can't imagine Power Girl in this (although what fun it would be!) They seem to be setting up Hourman too. We've seen Sylverster Pemberton is dead. And there's no way they can use Robin....

Or is there? On Legends, they were just at Hudson University*, and there was no mention of Dick Grayson - but we know that Batman exists in that universe, so likely Robin does too.** The Earth-2 version could pop up, associated with the Kevin Conroy Batman.

It could be. The others are tough because they're fliers, and that's tough. Maybe Obsidian, but his effects are pretty rough as well. Of course, there can be surprises. A Kid Flash or Speedy would be delightful!

We're really liking this show, and I'm expecting a fun run.

Marc Foxx
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2020 at 9:08am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I'm not going to list them here, but there are some casting spoilers available on IMDB.com
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2020 at 2:50pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I wonder about the rest of Infinity Inc. and who could be pretty easily done.

-----

Setting aside any promo spoilers, I'd rewatch the Pilot with the understanding that "Beth" is Beth Chapel and that they've laid the groundwork for Rick Tyler, and you'll probably be able to guess the other characters.

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2020 at 8:42pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Regarding the effects, Johns noted in a recent interview that they were using "movie level" effects on the show which is why they look so good compared to the effects we see on Flash and Supergirl.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2020 at 9:47am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Thanks guys. I know I COULD dig and find out which other heroes will appear... but I'm a little tired of "gimme" spoilers. I'll take the surprises as they come.

Olav Bakken
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2020 at 11:57am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

So far I really like what I have seen. Hope it stays that way.

Bryan Eacret
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2020 at 9:46am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I watched the first episode and liked it quite a lot. 

It's a nice quick show, too. I watched it on demand through the CW. With commercials it was only 42 minutes. that must be around 30 minutes without the commercials. It packed a lot of show into those minutes. 

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2020 at 1:31pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I definitely love this show!  I've given up completely on all of the other DC CW shows, but this one loads of fun!  And there are a LOT of great "easter eggs" and foreshadowing going on.  If you have a really good knowledge of the JSA and their villains, you'll figure them out.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2020 at 3:37pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I enjoyed it. I just like the idea of Luke Wilson as Stripesy.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Page of 8 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |