Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 28 Next >>
Topic: George Floyd Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2020 at 10:30pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

2 police officers in Buffalo were suspended for pushing a 75 year old man to the ground and causing injuries that required hospitalization.

57 members of their Emergency Response Team resigned their positions out of anger....because the 2 cops were suspended. They'll still be cops, but won't be on the ERT. Their reasoning is that the suspensions were unfair because they were following orders.

You know who else followed orders? Nazis.

All this means is that there are 59 less assholes, instead of just 2, that will be handling riot type situations there for the foreseeable future. How anyone cannot see that assaulting a 75 year old man is wrong is unbelievable!

P.S. Andy Mokler, if you see this, check your mail.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2020 at 10:39pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

No one wants to see an elderly man crack his head on the sidewalk.  It was an unfortunate accident.  But I put the responsibility on him.  Just like so many of the other videos, people are putting themselves in harm's way and baiting the cops.

I don't have sympathy for people who won't follow the curfew.  Won't disperse when ordered to.  Won't comply.  And do everything they can to test how far they can push.

I am not a cop lover.  I have been falsely pulled over.  I've been harassed.  I've been insulted.  There are a-hole cops out there, there's no denying it.  But I have always been respectful and compliant and even those meathead types don't escalate things when you do that.

But poke 'em in the chest, disobey their orders, get in their face...you're begging for what you might get.

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2020 at 10:54pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Nah, Candace Owens is just a huckster who has found her niche. Even people on the Right call her out for being an opportunist. 

Wouldn't this be the definition of an ad hominem?

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2020 at 11:27pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Nah, Candace Owens is just a huckster who has found her niche. Even people on the Right call her out for being an opportunist. 

Wouldn't this be the definition of an ad hominem?

-----

Nope. An ad hominem would be "Candace Owens' argument is wrong because she's just a huckster who has found her niche." I'm not commenting on her argument. I'm pointing out that people are being suckered.
Back to Top profile | search

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2020 at 11:34pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Andy, one could argue that the old man "asked" for it by attempting to talk to the police when he was told to move. The USA is not a police state (yet) but do you really think he deserved to get pushed to the ground? The worst part was not the push or the attempted police coverup (cops must really hate cameras) but the fact that the other police simply ignored the injured elderly man, lying on the ground with blood coming out of his ear. Most of the cops on the video didn't even look at him and the ones that did made no attempt to assist. That is terrifying. 

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2020 at 11:41pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

QUOTE:
No one wants to see an elderly man crack his head on the sidewalk.  It was an unfortunate accident.

He accidentally cracked his head on the sidewalk after he was shoved to the ground? The officer extended his arm forward to shove the guy. There's nothing accidental there.

QUOTE:
But poke 'em in the chest, disobey their orders, get in their face...you're begging for what you might get.

The police exist to serve the community. Citizens don't exist to serve the police. Failure to comply with the police is not invitation for a cop to commit violence on anyone, criminal or not.

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2020 at 1:08am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

If an elderly man gets his head cracked as a direct consequence of a police officer pushing him it's an "unfortunate accident", but don't you dare "poke" an officer cause that's an incredibly serious assault.

I hope those boots you lick with such fervor taste good at least.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2020 at 4:49am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Cops are right now the only force protecting the government. The semi-resignation is a stark message to their bosses: don't tell us how to do our jobs or we will let the mob have you. 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 06 June 2020 at 4:53am

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2020 at 5:28am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

https://www.wkbw.com/news/local-news/exclusive-two-buffalo-p olice-ert-members-say-resignation-was-not-in-solidarity-with -suspended-officers

According to two members, the union lied about everyone quitting in solidarity (what?!) While some officers may have quit in solidarity, the real issue is that their union feels the city won't back their cops if they become involved in an incident, so the police union is suggesting that they not pay for the legal defense of any ERT or SWAT officers who may be charged with something in relation to the protest. Which would leave individual officers responsible for paying for their own legal defense if they get charged for something they were ordered to do. So the officers quit the ERT to avoid being in that situation.

All of which speaks to the systemic issues with policing in this country.

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2020 at 9:46am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Peaceful protest should not constitute “putting yourself in harms way”.
Peaceful protest is enshrined in the constitution, right? Many of us see
what this man did on the video and see nothing wrong with his actions.
Others see what the police did in the video and see nothing wrong with
their actions. This should be all that is required to understand who falls
in line and prefers to be ruled and policed by a gestapo like force and
those who resist it and beg their fellow man to be better.

Edited by Eric Ladd on 06 June 2020 at 9:47am

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2020 at 10:09am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

As near as I can tell in the video, he was talking to
the cop and gesturing at something we couldn't see with
his phone hand. In no way was he in anyone's face,
threatening, etc. Disgusting and at best tone deaf
considering what brought people to this point. Serve
and protect indeed. More like "desire to rule over".

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2020 at 10:14am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

ASSUMPTION: Not all police are dirty. We have to assume this, or we've already been living in a police state for 70 years.

ITEM: Police body cams are not the friends of police. The light is NEVER a friend to dirty rats and cockroaches. And now, it seems that the eyes of the public are more invasive than ever. This is a very good thing. Perhaps the situation was different during the 20s and 30s (1900s, not 2000s) but that time is a century past; police don't have to assume that they're facing gangsters and bootleggers any more.

ITEM: Joe Z: "Cops are right now the only force protecting the government." I must disagree with you, my friend. As we've seen the past two weeks, Government is being protected by the National Guard, State Police, and the U.S. Military. Right or wrong, this is the situation.

And I have to pose, honestly, the question of which situation is worse; lacking 59 police, or having 59 dirty police out among citizens.

ITEM: As I saw noted so beautifully, we, the public, owe nothing to the police; THEY have an obligation to serve and protect US. From a couple of presidents recently, it does seem that civil servant can effectively be translated as civil MASTER; but that is a false connotation.

ITEM: It seems very obvious that the vast majority of Americans don't want trouble; they want their First Amendment rights. And those who have been repressed, i.e., blacks, want it more because it has been denied them for decades, and going on to centuries. Police are supposed to enforce that equality; not the differences.

<< Prev Page of 28 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |