Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 24 Next >>
Topic: Bye Bye Jemima Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2020 at 12:58pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Right, that's it. Get rid of it. Right now. You'll solve the whole situation without it.

Not the Rooster Cogburn statuette. The TV. (Although I could mistakenly assume that you watch the TV that's in your TV room...)
Back to Top profile | search

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2020 at 1:41pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

...losing TRUE GRIT is gonna hurt...!

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2020 at 3:59pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

There are a bunch of good John Wayne movies, same with Clint Eastwood or Robert DeNiro and George Clooney on the flip side of the politics coin. I've never understood the throw all of anything out approach. I don't like Wayne as a person primarily as he was a chickenhawk; stayed out of the big show with strings pulled in WWII then later was all rah-rah-rah for the Vietnam conflict and calling students names for not wanting to die in it.

I didn't realize there was an Airport named after him (I don't fly)... maybe go with a safer middle-of-the-road celebrity? Mickey Mouse International? Bonus as I think he is a black mouse. :^)
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2020 at 4:32pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The pendulum is bound to take out a few innocent icons as it travels recklessly in the opposite direction.We can't go back in time and fix it correctly so perhaps some character back stories, movies, books, etc. have to go. They might not have been made the same way if after the Civil War things were done right or at least much better. I'm all for surgically removing the racism from the world and allowing people to properly use empathy and context when examining what must go. But the human race as a whole isn't capable of that vision. The human race seems to prefer snapping the fingers on the infinite gauntlet to of a long, steady correction full of careful consideration. Maybe in another 1000 years we will be more enlightened.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2020 at 5:27pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Hate the artist, not the art. Michael Jackson made some wonderful music; Mel Gibson made some terrific movies; even one or two contemptible comic creators put great stories in print.

And I confess, I just watched "McClintock!" over the weekend wherein the Duke is a pretty liberal fellow, if kinda stiff. Okay, and it's a must see.. it is a damn-funny western. It's on my don't miss list; I highly recommend it.

Ray Brady
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2020 at 7:17pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

"Then I remembered Rooster fought for the Confederacy."

-----

Shortly before the lockdown started, a revival house in my area was showing Buster Keaton's The General with live Wurlitzer accompaniment. The film is a hoot, no doubt, but it was genuinely difficult divorcing ourselves from the concept that a Confederate soldier is supposed to be the bad guy.

The worst part was the end, where Keaton is "rewarded" for his service with the commission he had been seeking. I couldn't avoid thinking, "Wow, this poor schmuck is going to die horribly."
Back to Top profile | search | www

Bob Harvey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2020 at 5:47pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Ex-Confederates made for good Western protagonists because lost causes are generally cool, despite what FB memes and our host might suggest. (As an aside, I think it's disastrously stupid to suggest that the Confederacy is dumb because they lost. Maybe stick to they're bad because of slavery. I don't think might-makes-right is what we want to promote.) Even in sci-fi, you have the Rebel Alliance and the Browncoats. 

Robbie Moubert
Byrne Robotics Member

Evertonian

Posted: 30 June 2020 at 6:14pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The Stone Age Caper, a Modesty Blaise story originally published in 1971,  has run into trouble in Australia.

Apology from the paper concerned.

The shortened form of "Aborigine" is used throughout the story, by heroes and villains alike, and is also used in narrative captions. Even Modesty and Willie's friend Jacko uses it when referring to himself and his people.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2020 at 6:18pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Australians shorten everything. Insanity. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2020 at 6:26pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

The one that gets me is “brekkie” for breakfast. It’s the same number of syllables!

Speaking of Australia, an apropos Jim Jeffries segment from last year. 

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 June 2020 at 6:30pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Ex-Confederates made for good Western protagonists because lost causes are generally cool, despite what FB memes and our host might suggest.

•••

The Confederacy was organized treason on a huge scale, founded on the enslavement and torture of human beings, and the murder of thousands of Americans.

There’s nothing “cool” there.

Jim Burdo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2020 at 10:33pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

James Woodcock wrote:
"Do people think criminals are going to switch to the
honour system?"
------------------------------
That's a serious question I think. And a valid one.

Unless you think criminals are actually going to do that, it's a snarky reductio ad absurdum. It's a valid question, but it's validity rests on pointing out the logical absurdity of the defunding concept. A UCLA professor was suspended for asking equally valid questions when asked to give leniency to black students on his final exam.

<< Prev Page of 24 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |