Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: Joe Sinnott has passed away Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2020 at 11:35pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I thought of Sid Greene as being DC's Joe Sinnott.
************************************************************ ************************
I would have given Murphy Anderson that title, but Greene works too. 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 28 June 2020 at 1:16pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I've been revisiting JB's FF run via the omnibi and really enjoying the
JB/Sinnott issues.

JB, how did you come to work with Joe Sinnott on FANTASTIC FOUR, both
before and after you were writing the book?

Back to Top profile | search

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 June 2020 at 1:58pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

"I would have given Murphy Anderson that title, but Greene works too."

--

I would say Dick Giordano, considering that Sinnott worked on comics well into the 80s and 90s. Giordano had done some Marvel inks as well (a partial issue of Perez' AVENGERS in the late 90s), and the book felt like a DC title when I saw it.

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2020 at 7:23am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

A wonderful and fitting portrait tribute to Joe from Bill Sienkiewicz:

https://thebristolboard.tumblr.com/post/622189861454086144/r db63tribute-to-joe-sinnott-by-bill-sienkiewicz

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2020 at 10:14am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I think the (too) obvious thing would have been to do a portrait in Sinnott's style, but this is brilliant having one half done in blue pencil and the rest inked.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2020 at 10:52am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I could get lost in that bristolboard site for days i think! :^O

I thought Sid Greene was very much of the same gorgeous quality of inking that Sinnott was. I loved seeing his inking of '60s DC Gil Kane comics like I enjoyed Sinnott on Kirby and John Buscema. They made it look so smooth, perfect and easy with the brushwork, both in their ways as skilled as Frank Frazetta, who was maybe the greatest pen and ink artist I've ever seen (with Bernie Wrightson, Wally Wood, Lou Fine, Russ Heath, Matt Baker, Nestor Redondo, Dave Stevens and Mark Schultz all nipping at his heels)!

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2020 at 2:08pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

"I think the (too) obvious thing would have been to do a portrait in Sinnott's style, but this is brilliant having one half done in blue pencil and the rest inked."
That is why I love it.  The inking will be forever unfinished.

I wanted to post the portrait directly here, but the image is too big for our forum rules.  I am in hospital this week with only an iPad so I can't resize it.  If someone else could resize and post it, I would much appreciate it.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 June 2020 at 2:11pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I was flipping thru the first of my hardbound FF volumes today, and tucked into issue 5 there’s a letter from Joe. In a PS he mentions having a “lead” on more pages from that issue. I wonder how that went?

Ben Herman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2020 at 8:28am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Joe Sinnott was an incredible artist and a genuinely good person. I put together a short tribute to his work on my blog.

https://benjaminherman.wordpress.com/2020/06/26/joe-sinnott- 1926-to-2020/

Edited by Ben Herman on 06 July 2020 at 9:48am

Ben Herman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2020 at 8:43am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I know that John Byrne has stated he is not overly fond of the two part story that ran in Fantastic Four #220-221. Nevertheless, I absolutely love the cover to FF #220 that he and Joe Sinnott drew.  It really feels like such an iconic image of the team to me, the FF bravely rocketing into danger to explore the unknown.

I feel the combination of Byrne's pencils and Sinnott's inks always worked well. I was happy when years later on X-Men: The Hidden Years #8 Sinnott was asked to ink the Fantastic Four figures.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 July 2020 at 8:48am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Oh, I think that story is okay, if a little lame.

Problem is, it was lame on purpose, as it was done as a promotional give-away for Coca-Cola, who ended up declaring what you saw as “too violent “. Dunno what they were expecting!

Ben Herman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2020 at 9:02am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Here is the explanation that Joe Sinnott gave in the 2007 book Brushstrokes With Greatness for only inking half a page of Fantastic Four #6...

"Before Stan called me to ink Jack on Fantastic Four #5, I never knew the Fantastic Four existed. I lived up here in ... the Catskill Mountains, and I never went down to the city at that time. ... Everything was done by mail and I didn't know what books were coming out, even. ... Stan called me up and said, "Joe, I've got a book here by Jack Kirby and I'd like you to ink it, if you could. I can't find anybody to ink it." ... [When the pencil art arrived,] I was dumbfounded by the great art and the characters. ... I had a ball inking it. I remember when I mailed it back, Stan called me. He said, "Joe, we liked it so much, I'm going to send you #6." So he [did], but I had committed myself [to] another account at [publisher George A. Pflaum's Catholic comic book] Treasure Chest ... and this was a 65-page story I was going to have to do on one of the Popes ["The Story Of Pope John XXIII, Who Won Our Hearts", in vol. 18, #1–9 (Sept. 13, 1962 – Jan. 3, 1963)]. I had committed myself to it, so when I had started #6, I think I just did a panel or two. I had to send it back to Stan."

Apparently Sinnott's inking process was to begin working at the bottom of each page. He always started with page two, and after finishing everything else would go back to ink the first page splash last. That's the reason why he inked the bottom half of page two first before discovering he did not have time to do the book and returning it to Stan Lee.

Edited by Ben Herman on 06 July 2020 at 9:03am

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |