Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum
Topic: This is Refreshing Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 June 2020 at 12:38pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

A THREAD where someone is trying to weed out the nonsense and present things I have actually said, in context.

So, a sincere thank you to “HomoSuperior”.

Back to Top profile | search

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2020 at 1:36pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Great name and excellent posts by that fine fellow.

QUOTE:
I don't know Byrne but in my opinion there is a lot
of reason to believe his values are on display in his work.

True...!

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2020 at 1:49pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

It's good to have friends.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2020 at 3:24pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

*like*
Back to Top profile | search | www

Leigh DJ Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2020 at 2:57am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I try and 'defend' you when I see obvious falsehoods or malicious tittle-tattle on other sites but I have never done it as eruditely as that fellow. Nice work.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 June 2020 at 4:36am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I don't know Byrne but in my opinion there is a lot of reason to believe his values are on display in his work.

+++

True...!

••

Over the years I have been amazed by the mental gymnastics people go thru if what I show of myself in my work does not fit who they think I am. Like that guy at MidOhioCon who actually asked if I was "mad" when Marvel "forced" me to make Kitty Pryde Jewish.

You'd have to work really hard at ignoring the history of the character to come up with that!!

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2020 at 5:42am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

It is interesting to see people's perceptions vs how
people actually are.

I think the values of writers DO show through in what
they write - it's like the example JB often gives of the
writer who couldn't write truly heroic people because
they couldn't imagine someone could be like that.

In my head, I do see JB as resonating with the Reeds,
the Scotts, the Steves and the Nathans in his value set
rather than the Punishers. Which isn't to say he can't
write dark characters, it's to say that I think he
forces his mind to go there rather than live there.

There are other writers whose work I think seems to
indicate that there mind lives in certain areas that
might not be too savoury.

This is all me writing the lives of people I have never
met of course, but there you are.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 June 2020 at 11:43am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

In my head, I do see JB as resonating with the Reeds, the Scotts, the Steves and the Nathans in his value set rather than the Punishers. Which isn't to say he can't write dark characters, it's to say that I think he forces his mind to go there rather than live there.

••

I'm really Doctor Doom. When I have to write good guys, I just write the opposite of myself.

BWAH, as it were, HA HA HA HA HA!!!

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2020 at 11:49am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

At least Dr. Doom doesn't need a mask. Heck, he could probably fix covid in fifteen minutes... five minutes to cure it, and ten minutes to brag how that imbecile Richards couldn't even guess at a cure! ALL HAIL DOOM!

Jim Petersman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2020 at 9:51pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

This is the only time that I'm sad that ELSEWHEN isn't being published. I'd love to read the Previews description of issue 18...

"In order to process their feelings over the recent events involving Jean Grey, the men of the X-men plan a weekend getaway where everyone forgets to pack a shirt. A quiet issue that takes place in a sauna, locker room, and - oddly enough - 10 pages in the showers. Written and drawn by John Byrne."

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2020 at 12:07am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

The fact that a comic creator whose work I like may think different things than I do is not a major assault on my continued existence, not an irredeemable poisoning of the work. Maybe some fans conceptualize they are in a comic book themselves and JB has some kind of extra clout to either affirm or undermine? If ultimately he were wrong about something, or I am right, he may find that out someday, just as I might find I am wrong about something he is right about, or neither of us have the whole truth... reality isn't a simple list of parameters like in a Marvel Universe Handbook page.

People on internet forums are often very sparse in their wordings and dismissals, I came from a background of verbosity and at least some aspiration to writing properly. Someone might write "Don Heck was crap", and I will go into three paragraphs pointing out what I might think were moments of accomplishment and positive qualities while conceding other limitations or stylizations that became identifiers. That seems to be the lot of the internet... quantity over quality and forming group consensus because maybe it's unthinkable to get along with someone while disagreeing strongly? Or too much bother and not instant enough reward?

Why would I particularly care overly about John Byrne's thoughts on the various states of trans-gendered or homosexual existences outside the parameters of a character in a story? It's funny though, I have often said to someone who says homosexuality is wrong, and I agree with them, yes, you are probably right, it would be very wrong... for you. You are not everyone. Mr. Byrne is not everyone. Other people make comic book stories. You can learn to make them too and tell about the kinds of people you can create. There have been all sorts of unusual human beings with very unique seeming conditions, there are always more things under Heaven and Earth than dreamed of in your philosophy, and the keystone of the eternal may well be someone rejected by worldly 'builders'.

Play on!
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 July 2020 at 5:16am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Used to be only the outer fringe that considered different opinions to be offensive and even antagonistic. Like everything else in comics, alas, as the audience has shrunk the fringe has moved closer to the center, increasing in size proportionately.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply | Post New Topic |