Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Hulk’s Limitless Strength Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2020 at 3:27pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Oh right, the actual question...

It was Stan Lee, during the TALES TO ASTONISH days, who had the Leader say that the Hulk's strength "seems to have no upper limit." I think that was a mistake, just like it was a mistake for Superman. 

Anyway, I agree with Joe. Sure, "the madder Hulk gets, the stronger Hulk gets." But non-supernatural beings can't stay angry forever. Eventually we calm down. So the Hulk's strength can't literally be infinite -- unless he's being possessed by a supernatural being.

(I still hate the issue of SECRET WARS where Jim Shooter has the Hulk lifting a mountain that weighs "150 billion tons." Overkill much? I prefer to think of that as a very imperfect translation of what "really happened." It should be to Hulk lore what Mopee became to Flash lore.)
Back to Top profile | search

Walt Hall
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2020 at 5:37pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Actually Limitless Strength appears on the cover of issue #5 of the Incredible Hulk. I am actually glad Stan made that part of the Lore and Jim Shooter used it in Secret Wars. How many times has the Hulk defied the laws of Physics or single-handedly pulled the Avengers or Defenders butts out of the fire? To many to count going all the way back the silver and bronze age. It's always been balanced by the danger inherent in his character and that sometimes the cure(Hulk) can be worse than the problem.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2020 at 6:25pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The limitless strength is supposed to be somewhat tempered by his anger controling it; ie the angrier he gets the stronger he gets, since Abomination is stronger than the base-level Hulk. The SECRET WARS part with the Hulk holding up a whole mountain range was stupid, because it was the Hulk with Banner's mind.

Then again, Marvel has since gone even more waaaay over the top with the Hulk's powers........

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Walt Hall
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2020 at 6:33pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

At the time of secret wars, Bruce was losing his intellect and becoming more savage. If one thing has ever gotten the Hulk angry throughout his history is anything that challenges his limits. Anything that defies that he is the strongest one there is or he isn't capable of some feat only makes him angrier. He refuses to yield and grows ever angrier until he is satisfied even to the point of breaking the laws of physics. 

Edited by Walt Hall on 07 July 2020 at 6:34pm

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2020 at 1:56am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

For me, the Hulk is best with Banner. A feeble physical specimen who people push around. The Hulk levels the playing field. The drama comes in the aftermath. When Banner is left with the consequences of that rage. I also like child-like Hulk, who would step in to stop, say Rhino terrorising civilians. I think it is enough to say that, normally, the Hulk is pretty damn strong and like Spiderman lifting a massive weight to save his Aunt May, when he needs it, his strength knows no bounds.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2020 at 12:57pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

It seems that later teams always want to "out-do" what has gone before.  So, of course, 2020 Hulk has to be much stronger than 1980 Hulk--and forget about 1962 Hulk!  ("Who wants a hulk who needs TWO punches to crush a car?!?")

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2020 at 1:06pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

They lost me when they decided that the Hluk has multiple personalities, due (or partly due) to Bruce's father abusing him as a kid.

Hulk and Wolverine both being able to regenerate from being pretty much dead really takes the cake.

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2020 at 3:44pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I was only in my early to mid-teens when that issue of SECRET WARS came out, and I didn't question much when it came to my comics - but that 150 BILLION TONS caused even me to raise an eyebrow.

Marc

Edited by Marc Baptiste on 08 July 2020 at 3:44pm

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2020 at 4:42pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Leaving aside Wolverine, the Hulk's immortality doesn't bug me. It means that Banner can never be rid of the Hulk -- any version of the Hulk. 

And Al Ewing is handling the question of Bruce's "alters" in a sophisticated way. 

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2020 at 4:50pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

"150 BILLION TONS"?!?

So, the Hulk is magic then?  Cause that's the only explanation that makes even the tiniest amount of sense.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2020 at 7:36pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I know about this thing going on with the Devil in IMMORTAL HULK now, but that's about all i know. Not even aware what the Hulk's personality is these days, but he looks sort of like a zombie a bit?

Can think of something really nasty they could do: Banner or Hulk in Hell, with the Ultimate Nullifier in hand.....

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2020 at 2:38pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

He has more than one personality, which usually depends on what time of day it is. The dominant personality is the "Devil Hulk," a more malicious version, a variant, of the Hulk's personality circa 1964 (or the Hulk of the "Planet Hulk" or "World War Hulk" stories).  The traditional "Hulk Smash" Hulk is dominant if Banner transforms during the day. The "Devil" is dominant at night -- unless he gets really, really hurt and then the "Hulk Smash" Hulk becomes dominant.

Here's a couple of links that explain his motivations.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |