Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Best Marvel Stories of All Time Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 August 2020 at 1:51am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

CIVIL WAR? Really?! There's no accounting for taste.
Back to Top profile | search

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 August 2020 at 1:58am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Some "best of lists" are debatable.

But that was like opening an ice-cream carton and finding it full of face-eating
locusts.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 August 2020 at 5:20am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

“This Man, This Monster”
Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 August 2020 at 5:51am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

My guess is that the Civil War story gets more consideration from a younger generation because of the movies.

Daredevil #184 kicked me in the guts when I read it. Always pops into my mind when people ask about "best of" comics.

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 August 2020 at 6:25am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The problem with this sort of list is that it's all completely arbitrary based on the tastes of the people how make them (or vote for them if it was based on a poll). Too many people equate "best" with "favorite" and those can be two completely different things. In addition, there is the whole matter of taste. What one reader thinks was a great story, another might not like at all. These things are a waste of time.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 August 2020 at 8:18am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

The biggest issue I have is not arbitrary choices; everyone likes something else, and someone calling their list "the best" is simply their effort to express their appreciation for what they really like.

After all, we really have no standard for "the best" - art? Plot? Scripting?

My issue is that so few readers have a sense of historical perspective. In an earlier age, I would smile, shrug, and say, "I'm gettin' old. I have these books and younger readers don't."

But between classic collection, Essential/Showcase collections, and availability through so many venues, we can read most everything published by Marvel etc. Why would any list not include Fantastic Four #1? Amazing Fantasy #15?

Because while they're historic, maybe they're not great. Or maybe they are - but if FF#1 were FF #80, would it be a great story?

The other matter is brought forth by seeing Secret Wars and Civil War on the list. Neither of those is much of a comic book; neither is a comic book at all. One is a 12 part maxi-series and one is a God-only-knows how many issue cross company event. I can say Daredevil #7 or Fantastic Four #51 is an excellent book; I can say that Neal Adams' run on X-Men or Captain America's Secret Empire storyline is a short collection. So is it best story or best single issue?

Mr. Byrne has noted that eras of comics could be defined by decade; perhaps that's how "best comic" should be judged, e.g., best story of the 90s.

Having said this, the list completely lost me when it shows X-Men #157 as part of the Dark Phoenix Saga. Of course, to Chris Claremont, I suspect that every X-Men book after #137 was part of the Dark Phoenix Saga, but...

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |