Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: The DC Comics Layoff "Bloodbath" Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 August 2020 at 8:53am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Maybe I should take ELSEWHEN to Marvel after all. Then the minibrains can blame me for the collapse.
Back to Top profile | search

Marc Foxx
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 August 2020 at 9:27am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

You're good either way, sir. They can blame you regardless of what you do.

"Marvel failed, Byrne didn't bring them his classic X-Men thing!"
"Marvel failed, they published Byrne's classic X-Men thing!"

Kobiyashi Maru...
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 August 2020 at 9:40am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Just publish ElSEWHEN at IDW, where Marvel already farms out "all ages" titles. Since apparently, they don't know how to write and draw those internally.

Tony Marin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 August 2020 at 9:47am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Although I haven’t bought a comic in years I still feel incredibly sad that it ends like this, even though everyone and their dog seems to have seen this coming. 

Joe S. Walker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 August 2020 at 10:23am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

"If they wanted to just scale back DC comics, they wouldn't fire the EIC. They would need him to figure out which books to cut."

Not necessarily. They could just get the latest sales figures, draw a line across them and say "Everything under that goes." Or at least they might consider the EIC part of the problem rather than part of the solution.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 August 2020 at 11:30am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I recall DC's editorial structure being different than Marvel's. The EiC for one does not have the same level of power as the other. And wasn't the EiC position at DC a relatively new creation?

Jonathan A. Dowdell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 August 2020 at 11:46am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

This is standard corporate think -- reorganize to find greater efficiencies, reduce staff to save money, and put new people in charge. I assume both DC & Marvel will get "restructured" into a Warner's & Disney's entertainment organizations where new, bright Hollywood(?) creatives with take these classic characters to new heights... And new number 1 issues.

The problem with corporate cutting and reorganizing is it saves money but does not lead to growth. Without changing the industry's growth trajectory the path for Marvel & DC is decidedly down. 

Paul Wills
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 August 2020 at 12:08pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Maybe I should take ELSEWHEN to Marvel after all. Then the minibrains can blame me for the collapse.
---------------------------------------------------

I'm sure they'll find a way to link you regardless. For some reason you seem to get heat for anything you do (only by the clueless though!)
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 August 2020 at 2:11pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

"If they wanted to just scale back DC comics, they wouldn't fire the EIC. They would need him to figure out which books to cut." 

Not necessarily. They could just get the latest sales figures, draw a line across them and say "Everything under that goes." Or at least they might consider the EIC part of the problem rather than part of the solution.

——

What’s confused me about DC over the past few years is that beginning with the New 52 and continuing with the subsequent course corrections they’ve made, DC acknowledged they made mistakes, yet they kept in charge the people who led those editorial decisions and tasked them with fixing the problems they created. I don’t wish for anyone to lose their job, but there seemed the need for a completely fresh start editorially. 

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 August 2020 at 3:18pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

And at least to my eye, every new reboot was an admission that they screwed up the previous one.

Edited by Vinny Valenti on 11 August 2020 at 3:18pm

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 August 2020 at 4:25pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Particularly sad for me because I feel like DC is producing better comics than Marvel (at least from an artist standpoint).

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 August 2020 at 4:33pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

What’s confused me about DC over the past few years is that beginning with the New 52 and continuing with the subsequent course corrections they’ve made, DC acknowledged they made mistakes, yet they kept in charge the people who led those editorial decisions and tasked them with fixing the problems they created. I don’t wish for anyone to lose their job, but there seemed the need for a completely fresh start editorially. 

Amen to this, but from what I've read Jim Lee and Geoff Johns are keeping their jobs so far. They must've nailed themselves to the floor. 

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |