Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: The DC Comics Layoff "Bloodbath" Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 August 2020 at 6:20pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Almost sounds like it would have worked better with parallel universes. Why didn’t somebody think of that?
Back to Top profile | search

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2020 at 6:43pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

This conversation illustrates why tiny little DC is a big problem for Warner Bros. DC determines what is cannon to the mythology. And DC exercises that power at the drop of a hat (or sales). Yet fans judge the movies and shows on how faithful they are to the comics, not the other way around. Perhaps it was inevitable that the studio would have to get rid of DC and secure their control over the characters. 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 14 August 2020 at 6:45pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2020 at 7:02pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

This conversation illustrates why tiny little DC is a big problem for Warner Bros. DC determines what is cannon to the mythology. And DC exercises that power at the drop of a hat (or sales). Yet fans judge the movies and shows on how faithful they are to the comics, not the other way around. Perhaps it was inevitable that the studio would have to get rid of DC and secure their control over the characters.

——-

WarnerMedia needs to get rid of DC because tiny DC’s comic fans demand faithfulness to canon. Suuuuuuuuuure. Your programmer needs to adjust your algorithm. 

More likely, WarnerMedia just wants DC to stop wasting resources on books that sell to a few thousand people and devote their energy on characters that sell shirts and toys and movies, and they could give a flying fuck over what canon comic fans think is more important. 

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2020 at 9:53pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Jim Lee has clarified that the worst selling 20% of DC comics will end in November, and various such “last issue” notices are popping up.  To the readers’ point of view, there will be less selection.  From DC’s point of view, they are ending titles that made no profit.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2020 at 5:12am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Jim Lee is practically the sole survivor of the top-level purge. Now he's cleaning up the bloodbath. I wonder why he stays at DC. He has to be sitting on a pile of FU money, from his Image days, his sale of Wildstorm to DC, and the many years he's been employed as a creative lead. 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 15 August 2020 at 5:13am

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2020 at 5:47am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I have a friend who just started reading comics. He grew up loving the characters, cartoons, and movies. His kids love them too, so he wanted to get into the comics. He and his oldest (18) started going to the LCS with me. His son is more of a Marvel kid and my buddy really wanted to read DC. Suggesting back issues was a breeze but current stuff? Superman revealed his identity and has a son. Alfred is dead. The Avengers live inside a Celestial. The X-Men have segregated themselves and are not really heroes any more. And so on... The comics being produced now, while some may be good comics, are not very inviting to new fans.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 August 2020 at 8:47am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

From DC’s point of view, they are ending titles that made no profit.

••

In the DSM, allowing for spoilage, no more copies are printed than are ordered. ALL books should make a profit, for the publishers.

What am I missing, here?

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2020 at 9:34am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Depending on the contracts with the talent, seems like there would be a threshold of copies sold to start making a profit, then it would get into how much profit margin per copy is desired, 40%, 50%...

Right?

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2020 at 9:56am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Mr. Byrne, how are returns counted? Would those count against a profitable release?

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 August 2020 at 10:13am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

The are no returns in the DSM.

(Or are there, now? The publishers have been sucking up to the retailers for so long, I wouldn’t be surprised if that boneheaded reversal had been made.)

Thomas Fels
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2020 at 12:13pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

As far as I know, Marvel has a much (?) smaller editorial/economic staff than DC. I read somewhere that that's the reason Marvel takes so long time to pay creators. But maybe I'm wrong. If not, the sad DC-layoff is only what Marvel did earlier. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2020 at 5:57pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Every so often DC allows returns on books they are especially keen to promote. 

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |