Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Star Trek << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Star Trek Discovery coming to regular tv Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 September 2020 at 1:58pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

It's supposedly one of the most expensive shows being produced on any platform, but the ratings (and subscriptions for CBS All Access) have been in the toilet, so yes, it does look like it could be a disaster.

Just reading the title and synopsis for the pilot episode gave me a Trekkie headache.  This series is not for me.  Not even interested in watching it for free.

Back to Top profile | search

John Harrison
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 September 2020 at 3:37pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

CBS All Access is folding and merging into Paramount streaming service it was
announced a few weeks ago.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 October 2020 at 12:47pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

It'll be called Paramount Plus, supposedly. Wonder where they got that?

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2020 at 12:43pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I've been watching this. I'm intrigued... not locked in, but intrigued.

But I am far from their target audience. This show doesn't establish whether it is brand new in concept, or it's a completely different take on Star Trek in the same universe, or a restart of Star Trek, or what the hell. I know that Sarek is in it; I know that Amanda is in it; and I know that there are Klingons in it; and I know that the Klingons were known, but haven't been seen for a hundred years. Sarek was active at least in the mid 23rd century. I will thus assume that this means Klingons had been interacting with Starfleet since the mid-22nd century. We are in the early 21st century. This makes the timetable a little bit tight at best.

And they don't get to play both sides of the chess game. This is either a new retelling of Star Trek with a pretty significant character, and very tight timing, or a complete retelling of Star Trek (so I expect to see or hear of the Enterprise; or they don't give a fuck and this series is not for me.

I watched last night's episode (10-8-20) and the next episode is on in three weeks. A three week hiatus on reruns of an already broadcast show suggest shitty reception and ratings. It happens after THREE EPISODES on a new channel; and news seems pretty bad on ratings of the first-run episodes. This all points to disaster, to me.

Pity. I would have liked to give it a chance, but my crystal ball says it ain't gonna happen.

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2020 at 2:21pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Discovery is a good show, if you have an open mind to a new take on Trek. Many fans, usually older, do not.

A lot of the perceived inconsistencies in cannon (Spock has a sister?!) get handled very deftly at the end of Season 2.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2020 at 3:14pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I watched last night's episode (10-8-20) and the next episode is on in three weeks. A three week hiatus on reruns of an already broadcast show suggest shitty reception and ratings. It happens after THREE EPISODES on a new channel; and news seems pretty bad on ratings of the first-run episodes. This all points to disaster, to me.

-

What it suggests is that there are presidential debates scheduled for October 15 and 22, and that even in COVID times, networks still avoid first-run episodes around Halloween.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2020 at 5:32pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I do feel sorry for the actors playing Klingons in this new (or is it old now) Trek. They are literally entombed in armor and prosthetics. 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 11 October 2020 at 5:36pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2020 at 7:16pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

COROLLARY: Due to my wife's weariness with me nagging the hell out of the movie "Star Trek", I promised to watch it with her last night, and try to look for the GOOD stuff instead of bugaboos and nitpicks.

Y'know what? Did I ever tell you about the worst episode of Star Trek TOS I ever saw? It wasn't bad. This movie gets the "Wasn't bad" badge from me.

So I will watch Discovery with an open mind and see what I think.

P.S. Supposedly the debates have been canceled. How I love living in quarantine and the era of live shows... ;)

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 15 October 2020 at 1:01am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

A couple of things...

Shaun Barry wrote:
...the ratings (and subscriptions for CBS All Access) have been in the toilet, so yes, it does look like it could be a disaster.

Talk network ratings all you want, but how has it been a "disaster" for CBS All Access?  Point of fact?  It hasn't.  Since it's debut, which is about to air its third season by the way, it has spawned a resurgence in Trek on television.  It's the reason there is a PICARD, a LOWER DECKS, an Anson Mount fronted Trek series in the works as well as the long-in-development Michelle Yeoh spinoff.  DISCOVERY can hardly be considered anything close to a "disaster" especially considering the deal they have with Netflix (who streams it outside the US) that basically pays for the entire series.  

John Harrison wrote:
CBS All Access is folding and merging into Paramount streaming service it was announced a few weeks ago.

CBS All Access isn't "folding".  It's being rebranded.  I know that sounds like semantics, but it's not.  It will essentially be the same streaming service I've subscribed to for three years, just under a different name. Why?  The thought is the name CBS only carries in the US whereas Paramount has more international appeal.  It's a name change, not a fold, and certainly not a "white flag" of failure as many want to make it out to be.  

John Harrison
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 October 2020 at 1:28pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Matt you can also add Kate Mulgrew signing up to play Captain Janeway again
on the ST Prodigy cartoon as another sign of ST growth

And I was just pointing out the change I wasn't implying a white flag of any sort
HBO MAX the culmination of various other services as well.   

And trying to point out ratings on a show thats two years old that the pilot
premiered on Youtube ran on CBS ACCESS and now is only on network tv due
to the pandemic (aren't they doing the same w Swamp Thing on CW) guys this
no different when writer strikes forced networks to pivot and air cable shows
on networks. I believe Dexter got used as filler at point. I'm not the biggest
Discovery fan but its silly to even be concerned about the ratings of what is
essentially a rerun.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 17 October 2020 at 1:48am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Agreed, John.  To look at the ratings of a three year old series airing it's first season on CBS because of a pandemic-induced void of programming and claim it's a "disaster" is absurd.  It's equally absurd to claim, as Shaun's post implies, knowledge of subscriber numbers to CBS ALL ACCESS and then infer it is also "in the toilet". 

Again (and not talking directly to you here, John), as I've said here in too many threads to count in order to counter the negative BS about "zero sum game" some want to tout with oddly terrifying glee about current Trek, CBS is just fine.  Their international Netflix deal subsidizes nearly all of it by design.  You don't like it?  Fine.  Walk away.  I have with a number of series and franchises without bitching about it.  Let others enjoy what they do without trying to make them feel guilty about it.  They aren't "lesser fans".  They aren't people who "don't understand the franchise and property".  They like what they like.  I still have oodles of hours of what I like readily available to me and am OK with that.  Maybe, just maybe, a franchise can expand a little after 50+ years without die-hard fans groaning about every. single. shift.  

Call me crazy.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2020 at 6:25pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Just to clarify for the record:

I keep seeing and reading that DISCOVERY has (supposedly) not been cracking 1 million viewers, so compared to other TREK series and their heyday, it did seem as if they were "in the toilet," which I admit may have been unnecessarily harsh.

I don't hate the show... I don't watch it, but I don't begrudge anyone for watching it, or even enjoying it.  My main issue isn't the supposed "wokeness" that seems to get others all a-frothing... I just don't like the way they've reimagined the Vulcans and Klingons, which strikes me I trying to be overly edgy.  (And the harsh language & violence I've heard about PICARD is a big turn-off as well.)

If it ends up ultimately being a great success, that's fine.  But again, this particular era of TREK just doesn't speak to me.  If it ends-up making its way to Netflix someday, maybe I'll give it a quick look-see.  I'm certainly not a gatekeeper-type fan who would harass someone else for liking this series.

Edited by Shaun Barry on 17 October 2020 at 6:27pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |