Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Fan Fic << Prev Page of 55 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN.15--Comments Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2020 at 7:50pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I love the idea of Havok and Lorna as a pair of mutants who support each other. They're both echos of other characters (Cyclops = uncontrollable energy, Magneto = magnetism), but having them stronger as a unit makes them unique. I'm not sure this was intended by this scene, but you really made me think.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 September 2020 at 6:47am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

To help you get thru the weekend I present, as promised, page 7 in its original form. The biggest change, obviously, was flopping it left to right, covering my goof of putting Peter's "bandages" on the wrong leg. But there was, for some reason, a lot of "stage fright" drawing this page. Feeling all knotted up inside, given the importance of the page to my story. Redrew Jean's face four or five times. Seen here is the first pass. Ugh!

Enjoy!

Jean's right arm (here) is too long, too. And her whole figure is slightly too large.

Thank Dog for Photoshop!

Back to Top profile | search

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2020 at 6:55am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Oh yeah, if the dialogue from Jean was going to be the same in either pass the eyebrows tell the story. Your final choice is perfect!

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2020 at 7:25am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Thanks for the behind-the-scenes peek. Still looks good, but the final version was definitely an improvement. The version of Jean's face you ultimately delivered was both more effective and more subtle, which is quite the trick.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 September 2020 at 7:26am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

We'll wait now to see which of the usual suspects declares this version to be superior!

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 September 2020 at 8:35am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Finally some progress on the Havok blast.

++

Finally? The blast happened on page 11 of the last issue. It's been exactly one issue since it happened.

••

Quite right, Robbie. I wonder if the same complaint would have been raised if this was actually appearing as a monthly comic book!

Paul Wills
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2020 at 10:59am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I love the 'behind the scenes' stuff. 
Your anatomy is so on point that the mirror version looks very natural. I've seen many art pages where if it's mirrored, looks way off.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 September 2020 at 11:21am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

One of the oldest artist tricks for making sure a work is properly balanced and proportioned is to hold it up backwards to a light source, usually a window (known colloquially as “God’s Lightbox”). Anything that’s “off” will be immediately apparent.   

An editor I used to work with told me of showing the art for a new cover to a senior senior editor. First thing the older guy did was flip it over and hold it up to the window. He wasn’t interested in the quality of the piece, only in finding what was wrong with it.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 19 September 2020 at 12:01pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Thank you so much for sharing the page, as well as the anxiety behind bringing
this to life! It speaks to your commitment to getting this right - and it comes
through with each panel.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2020 at 4:01pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

The original face is fine, it just isn't Jean, whereas the final one absolutely is (plus one of the most memorable pages I've ever seen). I'm so happy to learn though that even veteran artists can still get something like an arm too long! This could give hope to thousands out there struggling! Or not, I'm probably just a weirdo. :^|

Steven Queen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2020 at 4:42pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

It IS pretty nice to hear that even an experience artist like JB doesn't always get it perfect every time.   Thank you for humbly sharing your process!

(Finished one looks way better. Wish I had been savvy enough to notice Scott switched the part in hair!)

John Northey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2020 at 6:18pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

If it was a monthly I wouldn't have felt like it was forever - this daily page thing is spoiling my expectations.  Kind of like those who complain about TV shows being weekly instead of all at once.  You get used to instant gratification this way.  Reminds me of a Tim Curry meme out there where people say they need more of him and his response was along the lines of 'I've done over 200 movies/TV shows, multiple stage shows, I need to sleep sometime'.

C'mon, 20 pages a day - you can do it (suddenly having an image of pages of stick figures running around as the next issue, or a 'Snowblind' issue, or giving us Daredevil's POV of this storyline).

Btw, good call on that arm - it does stand out on the first draft and we all know multiple people would've caught the cast issue.

<< Prev Page of 55 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |