Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Fan Fic << Prev Page of 55 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN.15--Comments Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 September 2020 at 12:40pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I'm just holding my breath in anticipation of seeing Jean (non-xeroxed version) at this point. Sounds like there be a bit of story to tell which may, or may not, align with her original resurrection (in FF) so it has the potential to be interesting to say the least. And I would not be surprised to see Namor hit on her regardless of whether he remembers her, or whether or not Scott is there (he's Namor after all)...

•••

I have more important stories to tell.

A point that has recurred several times since I wrote and drew this issue is that I had not been dealing with the real Jean. XHY was the last time I saw her.

Reminds me of when we used Kurt Busiek’s idea to bring her back, and Chris protested my portrayal. I pointed out that he, too, had virtually no experience writing the real Jean, only Phoenix. Shooter, of course, needed to punish me for doing Superman, so Chris was allowed to do his rewrite.

Now, I have to constantly check myself, remembering which version of Jean I’m dealng with.

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 September 2020 at 12:41pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I wonder if Jean could've had any kind of link or awareness of what her copy was experiencing if she's been down there the whole time.

•••

No. I wanted her dealing with a “strange new world”.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2020 at 2:54pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

In their world, even a few weeks could suffice to make many things strange and new.

Edited by Andrew Bitner on 09 September 2020 at 2:54pm

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2020 at 3:23pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Andrew Bitner wrote:
As for what the professor expects to find, maybe he got a hint from something he saw when mind-reading the Phoenix? Whatever it was, I think we'll have the answer pretty quickly, in any case.

I’m sure we will find out eventually. I trust JB to reveal all. What I mean is Charles seems to know more than anyone else and I wonder why he is keeping things close to his vest. As the readers we know way more than anyone else, but Xavier knows more than he seems to be telling anyone. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds because of the potential impact on the team members.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2020 at 5:18pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Great page!

I had a flash of Namorita from that Ororo dive.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2020 at 5:38pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

QUOTE:
I had a flash of Namorita from that Ororo dive.

Same here, Doug! My first thought was "What happened to her ankle wings?"
Back to Top profile | search | www

Jim Petersman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2020 at 6:58pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

"Reminds me of when we used Kurt Busiek’s idea to bring her back, and Chris protested my portrayal. I pointed out that he, too, had virtually no experience writing the real Jean, only Phoenix Shooter, of course, needed to punish me for doing Superman, so Chris was allowed to do his rewrite."

How did Chris even know how you wrote her? Why would he have access to that work early enough to change it before publication?

As I recall, Chris dropped in Reed and Sue to have Lilandra yell at them in X-men and, I believe you've said, that you weren't aware of it until publication. Why wasn't the reverse also true then?

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 September 2020 at 7:12pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The X-Office was pretty much unassailable. Chris wanted to make an editorial comment about Galactus, so he did. When I complained to Shooter, he said “So respond to it!” I asked if that meant I could do anything I wanted. “Anything you do will have to be approved by the X-Men office.”

I was far enough ahead on FF that Chris was able to see the Jean story as a finished job.

Brad Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2020 at 7:31pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

What virus?
What election?
What fires?

I am so into this story that all the other bad things seem to be fantasy.
Perhaps I am too into it.  But it IS a nice release.  Thank you!

Also - I am SO glad that Xavier will be on hand to be part of Jean re-emerging.  When it happened in 1986 Magneto was leading the X-Men and Charles was MIA.  This should be much more satisfying.

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2020 at 11:43pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I am loving this unexpected guest appearance and whole yacht-mission vibe.

I couldn't help flashing on an old interview where the story was told that Chris would sometimes suggest in a plot conversation that Ororo might be sitting around the X-mansion in "jeans and a t-shirt."

No, that's just not how Ororo dresses.

This is "casual" for Ororo -- designer summer wear -- and it looks fantastic.

Mal Gardiner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 September 2020 at 12:45am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I made sure this boat looked nothing like Corbeau's just so no one would make that assumption.

Time wasted, I guess.

sigh

————————————————————————————————

Sorry mate - truth be told, I couldn’t pick Corbeau’s boat out of a lineup. It was just an observation.... 

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 September 2020 at 5:31am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I couldn't help flashing on an old interview where the story was told that Chris would sometimes suggest in a plot conversation that Ororo might be sitting around the X-mansion in "jeans and a t-shirt."

•••

That was a go-to move for Chris. He’d ask for characters to dress in “jeans and t-shirts”, and each time it seemed like he was thinking of it for the first time!

(He gave me an early draft of his first novel, and a point I stuck on was the space cadets on the moon being told to get out of their cumbersome space suits and into “jeans and t-shirts”. I told him that struck me as crazy, given the potential for instant disaster in their artificial environment. This would, decades later, inform my writing of THE HIGH WAYS, where Jonesy tells Eddie that he must get used to living in his hardsuit all the time.)

<< Prev Page of 55 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |