Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: How about that Mitch McConnell? Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2020 at 11:47am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

PP, I don't respect him enough to spell it correctly. ;)
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2020 at 12:16pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Sometimes it's hard to keep in mind that we/you need both conservatives and liberals to function well, and that goes for the conservative side too; how much do many conservatives try to keep that in mind? How many times have liberals been demonized and overly blamed by right-wing demagogues and the base has accepted the easy opportunist answer? Don't burn your bridges, we all have blind spots/timbers in our eye, maybe even love your 'enemy'... maxims that used to float around in our society that might need a come back a.s.a.p.

Also maybe, darkest before the dawn? Let's hope. As they said on Game Of Thrones... "winter is coming". :^(
Back to Top profile | search | www

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2020 at 12:42pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Democrats shouldn't lock themselves into a suicide pact of principal on this, especially . A blanket ban on appointments the last year of a president's term is stupidly broad. Three or six months before the election, maybe, but eight months is right out!

The right-wing whining about Kavanaugh's treatment is especially risible. Christine Blasey-Ford's allegations may have been embarrassing, but they were also sadly believable, even typical, teen high jinks (both the assault and not remembering it) that wouldn't have been deal-breakers had Kavanaugh taken the opportunity to demonstrate a capacity for empathy, decency and growth appropriate to a position on the highest court in the land; instead, he blamed a conspiracy between Hillary Clinton and globalist Jews, entirely in line with his life's work a professional bully and hitman for the Republican party.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2020 at 12:49pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

David Miller, 3 months or so months before an election seems like a reasonable window to close it for me.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2020 at 1:22pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I wish there were a process to void Trump's various picks for judge positions after the Republican party kept his predecessor, on no real basis, from not just a supreme court judge pick but over a hundred others for lower courts as well. All the careers of people doing their jobs properly which Trump has ended or led to resignations of being reversed would also heal the serious wounding he has led, and getting rid of often laughably unable to the jobs, nor to learn it, appointees. But, I guess on a surface level that would be doing the very thing being spoken against. So Democrats will have to expand to effect balance if they even get the chance. That plays into the old trope that liberals grow bureaucracy. Not that it is actually true, just an early branding that somehow stuck against any facts, like 'tax and spend liberals'. It has been an experience for me to inform U.S. conservatives that the guy they so often have framed photos of, Ronald Reagan, raised taxes a total of nineteen times (to pay for those thousand dollar coffee post at the Pentagon if people recall that era), and how he more than tripled your national debt (mostly going to ICBMs and nuclear warheads that would shortly be traded off and retired in de-escalation agreements).

I would love a real information and communications age, but first it requires people to make at least bare minimal distinctions between documentaries that play straight and newspapers that trade on giving the full news, and 'reality' tv and the National Enquirer!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2022 at 1:24pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

While I do think it was a slip of the tongue, I wholeheartedly think that’s
what he believes.
Back to Top profile | search

Michael Abbey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2022 at 4:14pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I agree that he most likely misspoke. That being said, McConnell is one of the most ruthless politicians around. I don't mind at all watching him get dragged for this statement. If this had happened to one of his political opponents, I believe he would love to watch them suffer the consequences. I can only hope this might be a motivator, for some, to vote this year.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2022 at 8:41pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

David, Kavanaugh may not be the only sexual predator on SCOTUS. I believed Anita Hill's allegations against Clarence Thomas, and nothing in the years since has caused me to change that.

Rebecca, the Republicans' tactics for years has always been to either ignore the obvious or blame the Democrats (liberals) when something is so blatantly the GOP's fault. It is right up there with Trump blaming the FBI and Antifa for the Capitol riot.

If people voted for their own self-interests and used common sense, rather than believing their fear-mongering, hypocritical bullcrap and blatantly false rhetoric, a Republican couldn't get elected dog catcher, much less to public office. The GOP has gone to hell in a handbasket.

Personally, I'm hoping at some point we get a Democratic majority who gets the chance to give the GOP the taste of their own medicine: A Supreme Justice replacement needed with an outgoing GOP President and an incoming Democrat one, and they tell the outgoing one that he can pound sand as far as picking a replacement is concerned.

Also, conservatives have claimed that Biden is in the pocket of the coal industry. Well, we got McConnell's re-election commercials here because parts of Ky pick up our stations, and ALL those commercials were about were McConnell's connections to the coal industry!

Edited by Brian Floyd on 21 January 2022 at 8:43pm

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2022 at 10:15pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

In the four years since allegation against Kavanaugh, has there been any new evidence, or new accusations? Or have they just moved on? Like they are moving on from the Epstien billionaire child molestation ring thing. 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 21 January 2022 at 10:19pm

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2022 at 10:22pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Well, at least the FBI thoroughly investigated Kavanaugh at the time. Oh, wait, they actually didn't.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 22 January 2022 at 3:01am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

And I'd say "they" (whoever they are) haven't "moved on" from "the Epstien billionaire child molestation ring thing".  I mean, NYC just got a conviction against his Number 1, Ghislaine Maxwell. That hardly looks like moving on considering much of the testimony against her centered around her grooming underaged children for sex.  First steps and all.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2022 at 5:23pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

So Mitch McConnell, a man that has been married to an Asian woman for
the past 29 years, voted yesterday in opposition of protecting interracial
marriage. His hypocrisy is truly unfathomable.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |