Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Fan Fic << Prev Page of 41 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN.16--Comments Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2020 at 4:53pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Funny those comments from outside of here - while I'm as curious as anyone about how it would look with Austin inks (I love his inks on anyone pretty much) I'm loving it as is.  No way would I want Claremont doing the words - seeing Excalibur with and without Claremont with Davis on art, then Davis on art/story told me Claremont isn't my cup of tea - that the artists were the ones doing the heavy lifting.  Even more so than with Lee/Kirby and Lee/Ditko where both artists clearly did a ton of the lifting but Lee added a lot in character personality whereas I feel Claremont didn't given what I'm seeing here and what I saw years ago with Excalibur.  

I hate that we have to wait ... oh my god 2 days... for a new page.  Yeah, we're spoiled here.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Northey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2020 at 5:00pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Just did a search for comments (silly I know) and saw Rob Liefeld  (confirmed Twitter account) said in early September "John Byrne’s X-MEN ELSEWHEN, a maxi-series that he has written, illustrated and produced and has posted free on his site is the best X-Men comic of the year, hands down. It’s Marvelous. Inspirational!"

Nice to see an artist who has tons of fanboys, even if many here I suspect aren't fans, loves this stuff.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2020 at 6:44pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I don't feel the need to pick sides. I can enjoy this without needing to say anything pejorative about Claremont. I think Claremont was really great at certain stuff, but had flaws in other areas. But it's kind of irrelevant. The whole point of this project is a pure-unadulterated Byrne version of X-Men. Claremont is therefore fundamentally not part of that.

Edited by Peter Martin on 16 October 2020 at 6:45pm
Back to Top profile | search

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 17 October 2020 at 12:02pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

It's great to see Nightcrawler in action. He even looks cool in a hospital gown!

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2020 at 7:09am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Love the vintage feel of today's page 11. Kitty's "head" is a great device for exposition and I wonder how long ago it was used in comics. It's got me wondering about other story telling devices seldom used in modern comics. I instantly recognized it, but wonder if anyone raised on modern comics would understand it. A bit like showing someone young the turntable adapter for a 45RPM single.

Also, LOVE the last panel with Kitty throwing Scott into the deep end of phasing. Great angle and Scott's apprehension is palpable.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2020 at 7:10am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Great new page, JB!
I like how Professor X is all business, even in a moment of crisis, while Scott figures out why they're there. 
And that last panel is terrific-- I love the expressions on their faces especially.

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2020 at 7:21am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Love how you show the inside of the wall
or ground when Kitty is phasing.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2020 at 7:31am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

This really is a different temperament Kitty to what we had
before (post 143) - action, don't ask permission, get going
when needed.

I like it (her).
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 October 2020 at 7:34am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

This really is a different temperament Kitty to what we had before (post 143)…

••

Once I "let go" of Kitty, she turned into a character very different from what I intended. Again, tho, since the character became as popular as she did, I must assume Chris knew what he was doing.

Kitty in ELSEWHEN, however, is entirely as I intended her to be.

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2020 at 8:14am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Action Kitty! She's still impulsive, but clearly learning and growing more experienced than earlier in the series. A fast-moving Kitty/Scott team should be really effective.

I was wondering if the D'Bari would recognize Jahf as a Guardsman and listen to reason, but clearly they are not messing around.

Edited by Richard Stevens on 19 October 2020 at 8:15am

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2020 at 8:25am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Kitty's battle in X143 made a huge impression on me and I reread it often. Getting more of that Kitty is one of the greatest pleasures in Elsewhen.

She was one of the brightest parts of the X-Men for me after JB left, but there was so much change in the series that I eventually grew to feel distanced from her.

When New Mutants came around, I realized 2 things: 1. I wasn't interested in the New Mutants without Kitty and 2. I couldn't imagine Kitty (as written) ever being part of the New Mutants. Pretty soon, I was done with the whole X-Men line.

Until Hidden Years...

Paul Wills
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2020 at 8:51am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

It feels like these stories are presenting themselves to John B. Like he's watching them unfold as we are. They just seem so fluid and natural. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 41 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |