Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Who MUST be at the party? Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2020 at 9:51am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Pick a comics team. Any team, any one you like. Guardians of the Galaxy. Legion of Super-Heroes. T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents. Marvel Family. Super Friends.

Now, for YOUR appreciation - who HAS to be there? Or who DOESN'T? Is it a Justice League story without Superman and/or Batman? Do you need Cap and Iron Man to really enjoy an Avengers story? Allied Supermen of America without Supreme? The Legion without Brainiac 5, Saturn Girl, and Superboy?

Let me know who. Maybe a reason if you wish, but who has to be in or who has to be out? Let's limit this to three or four, 'kay?

It's YOUR opinion entirely. Maybe I don't think it's a JSA story if the Spectre is in it, and you do - okay. The FF needs Thundra? Sure!

Only two rules. First, you cannot entirely redesign the team. You have to have at least, say, two recognized members for any team.

And you can't have a JSA team without Hawkman. Why? 'Cause it's my game and I say so. :)

Back to Top profile | search

Michael Murphy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2020 at 11:01am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

While it didn't start huge the Legion of Super-Heroes really has emphasized the "legion" part of the name for a long time so choosing only four members is tough but here it goes.

Cosmic Boy because I feel like a founder should be there and someone who I think is a good leader

Wildfire for no reason other than, since I was a little kid he is, along with Dawnstar, one of my favorite Legionaries and was generally considered one of the tougher members

Dawnstar for the reasons already stated

The last spot was tough but decided to go with Tellus to give the team a telepath and a really alien looking member

Edited by Michael Murphy on 13 October 2020 at 11:55am

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2020 at 4:42pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Michael - I think I was unclear. I meant only four TEAMS. You can pick as few or as many as  you want on each team. I mean, if there's a dozen heroes  you need for it to be a real Legion story for you - list 'em! And it's not limited to ONLY those characters. Since we're discussing the Legion, I picked Superboy, Saturn Girl,, and Brainiac 5 in that case because they seemed to be in 'most every early Legion story.

But you could say, "To me, it's not an FF story if the Torch isn't in it," or "I love the Avengers, but not if Hercules or the Hulk or the Black Knight is appearing."

A little clearer? And your choice was REALLY good! That's a viable team for 'most any mission!

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2020 at 4:12am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I think with most of the popular teams, their rosters are so robust that there isn't any one character that is irreplaceable. Except Wolverine. They'd make him permanent in the Justice League if they could. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Daniel Gillotte
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 October 2020 at 9:24am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

It's interesting- as soon as I saw Guardians of the Galaxy I thought Well, it's gotta have Vance, Charlie 27, Yondu, Nikki, Starhawk and Martinex. Then I realized but I LOVED the Guardians movie with NONE of them (really, I mean Yondu was "there" but not really). 
So, I guess a great story/ presentation allows for flexibility of the core "team" maybe?
I tend to want my Teen Titans to be the originals but there sure were a BUNCH of great Wolfman/ Perez stories without Kid Flash or Aqualad or Speedy weren't there?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 October 2020 at 1:33pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

The Mighty Avengers.

Cap, you're in. And you're quarterbacking.
Wasp, I'm mixing my sporting metaphors, but you are on the wing. Cos you are the best.
Thor, put your helmet on, son. Best bring the hammer as well, just don't let the ref see it.
Iron Armour. Go on, armour up. You're playing defence.

Paul Gibney
Byrne Robotics Member.

Posted: 15 October 2020 at 2:48pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The Fantastic Four is a family; not a lot of flexibility there. All four should be there.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 October 2020 at 3:05pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I liked She-Hulk there, too, tho.

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 October 2020 at 3:12pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I'm okay with a single FF member being out temporarily with a replacement, but I can't wrap my head around that being Reed. He has to be there in my mind. 

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 October 2020 at 4:08pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Yes. Hard to countenance the FF without Reed. Unless it's a story about getting him back!

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 October 2020 at 9:00pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I like this topic and I WANT to contribute, but I can't really think of any "mandatory" characters. There are characters who I feel that, on their own, can "justify" the use of the team name (e.g., Captain America and five random others can be an Avengers line-up), but no one who HAS to be there. More like varying degrees of missing them when they're not.

I don't like Wolverine or the Hulk as active Avengers. I guess that's one...

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 October 2020 at 11:02pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

The problem with the Avengers is that they've had way too many members.

I am waiting for an Avengers mission that consists of...Mr. Fantastic, Invisible Woman, Human Torch, Thing, She-Hulk, Human Torch....and Captain America.

For me, an Avengers team has to have Captain America and either Iron Man or Thor on it, but not necessarily all three. Though I do prefer a line-up of all 3, Wasp, and 3 other members.

And Dave, Wolverine never should have been made a member in the first place. Hulk works as a member in certain situations. (ie, which personality is in control.) But he's better utilized on special occasions. 

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |