Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Days of Future Past, 40 years later Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 October 2020 at 9:37am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

BTW---I use the word "permanently", which is really pointless in most comics. But not ELSEWHEN. Ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!
Back to Top profile | search

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2020 at 1:25pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

JB: Having stopped the Sentinels permanently should serve to show the DoFP storyline is gone!

BTW---I use the word "permanently", which is really pointless in most comics. But not ELSEWHEN. Ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!

Yes!
But it wouldn't surprise me if Hank McCoy kept an eye out, just in case.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2020 at 1:36pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I know what you might've done, insisted on being letterist (Alex Toth did his own lettering often), or even hire someone that wouldn't care much about a credit, that way you'd have got the final word... or would they have still 'corrected' that? Come to think of it Alex Toth had quite a rep for being 'difficult' (in other words he cared about things being done right).
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 October 2020 at 2:32pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

My lettering sucks. Even when I made a font of it.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2020 at 3:27pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

JB, was your first pro lettering job JBNM?

Ben Herman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2020 at 6:06pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Too bad ELSEWHEN is not being published officially. In my opinion it's better than 90% of the "official" X-Men stories Marvel has released in many years.

As for writing any story with a definitive ending, well, the last several decades have revealed that it's all but impossible to do that at Marvel or DC. If a corporation owns it, odds are that sooner or later some other creator is going to want to play with those toys... or given marching orders by editorial and/or corporate to play with them.

On the plus side, you never ever have to worry about anyone else coming in and undoing the ending of Next Men. There's a definite satisfaction with reaching the end of "Aftermath" and knowing that, barring you yourself deciding to revisit the characters in the future, it is the definitive conclusion to the story.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 October 2020 at 6:09am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

JB, was your first pro lettering job JBNM?

••

I hand lettered my Charlton work.

At one point I learned it was possible to order custom type for the old IBM Selectric, which was the typewriter I used, but I realized it would not be possible to control the kearning (space between the letters) so there would be too many instances of W AS and A W ESOME and the like.

Also, would probably have cost a fortune.

With the coming of computer fonts, I returned to lettering. I think the first was on NAMOR.

Daniel Gillotte
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2020 at 8:14am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The Marvel Method allowed so many great comics to be produced but had caused such friction and calamity along with it. From the original greats Kirby and Ditko on to greats like our host. Seems like there could have been a better way to describe the relationship. Maybe I can go back and time and fix that?

Also, does anyone know if Wolfman and Perez use the marvel method on Titans?

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 October 2020 at 8:36am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

That TITANS annual I drew was done Marvel style, so I imagine George worked the same way.

(That was a very weird job. When he came to script it, Wolfman wrote a flashback as if it was happening in present time, so there are several pages on which the Titans just....disappear!)

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2020 at 8:50am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

JB: Wasn't there also that issue of FF that you hand-lettered?  "Cowboys and Idioms?"  I recall digging your lettering in that - was very distinctive.

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2020 at 8:58am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

There are only a handful of illustrators out there that have the chops to have been able to make a go at it also as a big-two letterer back when it was an analog craft.  Rick Veitch in particular comes to mind.

There's also a long list of cartoonists with amazing, distinctive lettering styles that are inextricable from their work - Schulz, Sim, Herriman, etc.  And then there's the group whose ability to letter is so far beneath their drawing ability that it actually detracts from the work (I'm looking at YOU, Winsor McCay).

Daniel Gillotte
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2020 at 9:36am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I only vaguely remember that Annual. I'll need to find it to check it out. I was the perfect age for the New Teen Titans to come out and loved every minute of it. 
Mr. Byrne and Mr. Perez are so emblematic of that period of art, total TITANS, as it were.

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |