Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Days of Future Past, 40 years later Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2020 at 4:04am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

40 makes me feel old, but it's a bit of a cheat. Over here it wasn't released until late 1985. 

The two-part story was the last regular X-Men monthly comic book here, as it was cancelled due to poor sales. Go figure. They wouldn't appear again until 1990, by which time I'd basically lost interest. 

But what a great story it is! 
Back to Top profile | search

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2020 at 4:58am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I picked up #141 around the age of 13-14 from the local drugstore (the one that put comics on a shelf and not in a spinner) and was completely hooked on the story. I was extremely jealous of my friend who bought a jacket like Wolverine and waited impatiently for the conclusion of the story, which I could not find anywhere. For some reason it never arrived at the two drugstores in my town. A week later I was at the Vancouver Greyhound bus station waiting for a bus back to my town and I found a copy in the bus station convenience store. I was so happy. 

I still have both issues. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 October 2020 at 6:02am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I bought quite a few comics at the bus station in Edmonton when I was a kid (10 - 14). It was a fairly reliable source for issues that didn’t turn up anywhere else.

Andrew Davey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2020 at 8:41am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I had just recently discovered the X-Men when the issue(s) came out and certainly Days of Future Past cemented the title as a "must have". I began the hunt for back issues having never done such a thing before. My paper route money was put to good use. 

Only as an adult years latter did I collect the missing issues of the runs (Byrne and Cockrum). Some back issues were too expense to justify the investment at the time.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Daniel Gillotte
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2020 at 9:48am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

These two issues thoroughly rocked me as a kid, I was 10.
I drew and redrew (terribly) the two covers and endlessly thought about Wolverine's metal skeleton (something I had never really imagined before).
Even though it was essentially a "dream" story, it still had impact and showed just how serious the X-men's world was. They really did live in a world that feared and hated them and it was only going to get worse.

Seeing who was "dead" or "apprehended" on that first cover was such great fun and the scene with the graves was chilling and made me wonder "how did ____________ die?" Seeing Franklin as a grown man was cool but to have him snatched away was both jarring and powerful. Our Kitty becoming Kate also struck me, so sad.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 October 2020 at 9:53am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Even though it was essentially a "dream" story...

•••

Since Chris scripted it so that the X-Men failed, I’d say more of a nightmare.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2020 at 10:45am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The X-Men failed. They failed. Who could think this is a good way for a story to be completed, in their own book???

Then again, considering Claremont's methods, it didn't really end. DoFP continued, as did appearances of Phoenix. Could Claremont finish ANY story?

I hoped to see a page of flashbacks from the story, partly whited out and more whited out as the pages continued to a final entirely blank page... except the last panel, with the Watcher clicking off a monitor.

Mr. Byrne - Franklin got killed so fast that it seemed he didn't need to be there. Were his innate powers not enough to destroy Sentinels wholesale? Or was it just not considered? As a mutant, I think he'd count as a legitimate X-Man.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 October 2020 at 1:39pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The FF office could offer no clue as to what Franklin’s powers were!

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2020 at 4:22pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I'm a little surprised the FF office didn't insist Franklin be depicted as four years old.

Jim Burdo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2020 at 7:33pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Interestingly, Franklin wasn't explicitly called a mutant IIRC and wasn't an X-Man, but the last of the Fantastic Four.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2020 at 9:07pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Didn’t he have a big “M” on his jacket?

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 October 2020 at 6:50am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Don't get me started. . . . . .

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>