Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Days of Future Past, 40 years later Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 24 October 2020 at 3:18pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

The kiss didn't mean anything to me when I first read it, nor on subsequent re-
reads. It's a minor bit that is overwhelmed by a book crackling with great
ideas. Beyond a great story, the future versions of the characters work so well
with everything we have seen in previous issues. It was a true game changer.

Moments that hit me immediately and have stayed with me for years: Future
Kitty/Kate arrives in the present day and hugs Nightcrawler, who previously
freaked her out. Wolverine on the run until the bitter end. City buses and
vehicles being pulled by horses.

Everything about this just blew away every other book on the spinner rack.

Back to Top profile | search

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 October 2020 at 3:39pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Jim: There was in Excalibur #67. Rachel and Excalibur went back to the Days of Future Past timeline, including Kate Pryde in a robot body called Widget. They reprogrammed the Sentinels to protect all life.

That's some pretty good self-restraint -- they waited 2 years after T2: Judgment Day was released before they used it to extend DOFP.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 October 2020 at 3:47pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Tim- Yes, the visuals are so memorable. I swear the creators of THE ROAD WARRIOR stole the look of that one dystopian street thug with the mohawk!

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2020 at 4:52am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Important to remember this was MY story, plotted almost entirely without Chris. (His contribution was Senator Kelly and setting some of the action in Washington.)So, perhaps unconsciously, he set about shaping the tale to his will, even tho that completely screwed up what I had in mind.
------------------------------------------------------------ -----------------------

Y'know all this time, I'm sorry to say that I never quite realised just how much of it was yours and how little Chris's. I knew that the main story idea was yours, but I always envisioned your time together on the title as more of an even partnership that gradually started to seperate as the both of you branched off in your own directions.

But hearing now how much of this was yours, and knowing how little credit you seem to get for it, Jeez, no wonder you left after this. Any reasonable person would have..

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 October 2020 at 5:43am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Y'know all this time, I'm sorry to say that I never quite realised just how much of it was yours and how little Chris's. I knew that the main story idea was yours, but I always envisioned your time together on the title as more of an even partnership that gradually started to seperate as the both of you branched off in your own directions.

••

As far back as IRON FIST there were occasions when I would ask Chris why he had scripted something differently from what we'd plotted, and he'd say "That's how I felt when I scripted it."

I grew very tired of that phrase.

It should be kept in mind that there can be no true "collaboration" between any parties when one of them has the final say.

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2020 at 9:50am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

As a young teen reading comics, I did not understand the "plotter/co-plotter" vs "writer/scripter" dynamics.  Unfortunately, I went a VERY long time thinking that Chris wrote - start to finish - all those Uncanny X-Men issues that he and JB worked on and that JB just drew the pretty pictures.  

I think it had to be around the time Alpha Flight got their own title and it became clear to me that JB was their creator that I did a little digging and the floodgates of awareness opened!

Mind you this also helped me understand that Marv Wolfman was not solely responsible for the writing on the New Teen Titans.

Marc

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 October 2020 at 10:26am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

As a young teen reading comics, I did not understand the "plotter/co-plotter" vs "writer/scripter" dynamics. Unfortunately, I went a VERY long time thinking that Chris wrote - start to finish - all those Uncanny X-Men issues that he and JB worked on and that JB just drew the pretty pictures.

•••

One of the reasons—one of them—that I am reputed to have a giant ego is that I spent many a con trying to disabuse fans of precisely that misapprehension. “I loved it when Claremont did that bit,” someone would say, and I’d say “That was mine, actually.”

Later I’d hear the grumblings. “Byrne is trying to steal all the credit for himself!”

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2020 at 10:41am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

That thing about fans giving credit to Claremont for your bits reminds me of John Lennon talking about how fans would tell him their favorite song of his was "Yesterday". For those unaware,  despite the agreement that any Beatles song by Lennon or Paul McCartney beared both of their names as songwriters, "Yesterday" was one of those where it really was just one's song and in this case it was Paul.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Ben Herman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2020 at 6:31pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

John Byrne, I do have a question about DOFP. In the past you stated the following...

"I wanted the X-Men to have a clean win. A story inwhich, when the dust settled, there was no doubt that they had accomplishedwhat they set out to do. They had WON."

If you wanted to give the X-Men "a clean win" then why plot & pencil the final page of Uncanny X-Men #142, where the President puts Kelly, Gyrich and Shaw in charge of Project: Wideawake, to construct new Sentinels? That ending felt to me like it was saving that, even though the X-Men had saved Kelly's life, the Sentinel-controlled future was still, if not inevitable, then at least a distinct possibility.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 October 2020 at 6:48pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

My intent there was quite simply: that readers could see that page and chuckle, knowing Shaw et al had already lost.

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2020 at 7:45pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I just saw the ending as there being a chance of more sentinels in the future, but not THAT future.

"Days of Future Past/Mind out of Time" may be the best X-Men 2 parter ever. Certainly my favorite.

And I loved how Franklin dies right before we might find out what his adult powers will be...

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2020 at 12:36am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Re Kitty’s kiss - I was young, I was innocent (to a degree). I thought it
was a peck on her forehead.

Guess I’m wrong huh?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |