Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Q for JB: XHY Endings Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 October 2020 at 12:03pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Got my mind going to think of a fictional explanation for the old uniforms now. Not that I would 'demand' a no-prize if I came up with something... but it would be interesting to have something more than how the later costumes just happened to be at the cleaners.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 24 October 2020 at 12:16pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I had started to establish that Xavier wasn’t firing on all cylinders after the Z’noxx encounter. Consider his reaction to seeing Jean in her school uniform.

This would lead to all of them similarly suited up as a way to “stabilize” him.

Back to Top profile | search

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 October 2020 at 12:30pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Kind of like they all went back a grade to humour the Prof? I still remember him trying to train Wolverine like he was a student... "Wolverine don't jump through hoops." :^)
Back to Top profile | search | www

Mark McKay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 October 2020 at 1:02pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I wonder, given the market climate and audience, if XHY would have faired better* if limited to 28 issues? Could that have been expanded upon with a series of off-shoot mini series to expand the story?

Convoluted? Yes. But given the comics market at the time, I wonder.

*I know it was actually performing well, at a profit, as JB has mentioned.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 24 October 2020 at 1:11pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

XHY being cancelled had little to do with market and audience.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 October 2020 at 4:51pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I very much wanted to see the Secret Empire story from the X-Men's point of view. I wanted to see how JB would interpret that story. The way Steve Englehart wrote it, it makes little sense outside of the time period in which it appeared. (Englehart also made the once-common mistake of thinking Cyclops's eye beams are a sort of heat vision.)

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 October 2020 at 6:26pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Adam: I very much wanted to see the Secret Empire story from the X-Men's point of view. I wanted to see how JB would interpret that story. The way Steve Englehart wrote it, it makes little sense outside of the time period in which it appeared. (Englehart also made the once-common mistake of thinking Cyclops's eye beams are a sort of heat vision.)

Maybe a thread could be started to kick this idea around. I remember loving how much the X-men wove in an out of that story-- truly guests who seemed to be living a kind of "Hidden Years" existence parallel to the book they were appearing in.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2020 at 10:44am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Mr. Byrne, I am so pissed off at Marvel's editorial f*ckwads who cancelled XHY to teach you a lesson about their overwhelming control - and how the assf*ckers apparently don't like money, since they cut off their noses to spite YOUR face. No comic book company is EVER making enough money to cancel a popular and lucrative strip! One wonders why Marvel's ownership didn't sack those f*ck b@st@rds immediately and BEG you to come back. I am astonished that Marvel's owners kept them employed, nor that they didn't put the word out about them.

I don't know that your disappearance (well, from Marvel) started causing the comics crisis; but I'll bet your presence would have kept things stable at least a while longer.

And of course, part of this is selfish and personal, as now, all the Byrne I have is ELSEWHEN, and the subsequent IDW Byrne minis. But a big part of it is that stupid offends me... and in your case, it would seem that DC and Marvel PRACTICED their stupidity before they unleashed it on you.

Joel Tesch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2020 at 1:20pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Easy there, big fella.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |