Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | TV
Topic: Raised By Wolves ~ Season 1 Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 22 October 2020 at 12:14am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Kind of surprised there isn't already a thread about this HBO Max series.  It was a big hit for the fledgling streamer out of the gate and was renewed for a second season before the first had even ended.  

Basic premise:  Future Earth is on it's last legs after an long battle between believers and atheists.  Both sides are losing.  The battle is a stalemate that has ravaged the planet.  Both are able to send a group to a distant planet to repopulate it: the believers in a big ark with thousands and the atheists on one small ship with just two androids and an unknown number of fetuses.  The series initially follows the androids as they bring to term and raise the children.  To give anything else away would spoil it all.  Suffice it to say that there's a lot more going on than just belief or non belief structures.  The planet they both eventually land upon has it's own secrets.  

Ridley Scott is the main name attached to the project and he directs the first couple of episodes while also serving as Executive Producer, but he isn't the driving force.  It's creator is Aaron Guzikowski whose biggest claim to fame is writing the screenplay for the 2013 film PRISONERS starring Hugh Jackman.   

Although it takes a minute to fall into its rhythms, patience is rewarded.  The story is compelling.  The performances are exquisite, especially by relative newcomer Amanda Collin as "Mother".  The cinematography makes great use of an underused filming location, which is in and around Cape Town, South Africa.  

If you've got HBO Max and are looking for your next watch, this is a series I highly recommend.  Already eagerly awaiting Season 2. 
Back to Top profile | search

John Bodin
Byrne Robotics Member

Purveyor of Rare Items

Posted: 26 October 2020 at 1:01pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Thanks for the post Matt -- I've not heard much buzz about this from people who've actually watched the show, but it has sounded intriguing.  I'll have to add this to my queue, sounds like it's one I'd like!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply | Post New Topic |