Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Creationist Q & A Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2020 at 11:01am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Doug C. - About Noah... what happened to the swimming dinosaurs? Or even the fliers? :)

Miss Jansen: I think that "Nimrod" first appears as what Eve called Adam when he came in from farming and left his dirty sandals on the floor. One of the undiscovered scrolls from Genesis.

And we know that the Bible is inaccurate. It indicates that God created the world, the universe, all that trivia... and is a male.
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2020 at 12:10pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Hard to believe the television show “Land of the Lost” might have actually influenced someone’s understanding of history.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 October 2020 at 1:06pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I'll confess t being quite shattered when, at around age 12, I learned that Dinosaurs and Humans did NOT exist at the same time. No one rode on a triceratops? That's just WRONG!

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2020 at 4:17pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I once heard a preacher say one can tell the New Testament is true because so many prophecies of the Old Testament come to pass within it.   I guess that’s kinda like the way Dr. Sleep must be a true story because it fulfills the prophecies of The Shining.

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2020 at 12:11pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Another Bible fallacy that drives me to distraction is the belief (primarily) among Christians that ALL law and civilization are the result of God creating/mandating that there BE law - first, through that one and only rule/law/commandment, to not eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge in the Garden of Eden and ultimately to the handing down of the Mosaic Law to the Jewish people.

That until and if not for this "divine intervention" man would remain in a perpetual "state of nature' (e.g., wild, wanton, lascivious, chaotic, primal, barbaric, the list goes on of course ad infinitum) - you see, man would never EVOLVE on our own to form our own family and tribal units, rules and regulations through trial and error, ultimately creating our own civil societies.

I sometime wonder if Christians just "choose" to ignore (just one among many) archaeological discoveries like the Hammurabi Code - which predates Judaism.

ARGH!
Marc

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2020 at 3:41pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I had an atypical childhood. I was told from a young age (at any relevant opportunity) that mankind did not co-exist with dinosaurs... and this was supported by my ladybird book of dinosaurs, which only had cavemen right at the end in an ice-age with mammoths, IIRC ("Antrodemus hunted other animals. Its mouth opened so wide it could swallow small animals whole." What a book!)

I also learnt from a young age (we're talking about 6 years old) the truth about Father Christmas.

Edited by Peter Martin on 26 October 2020 at 3:42pm

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2020 at 9:44pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I sometime wonder if Christians just "choose" to ignore (just one among many)
archaeological discoveries like the Hammurabi Code - which predates
Judaism.
_________
I believe the church I attended as a child would tell you that nothing predates
christianity and you(and everyone else) must have the dates wrong.

They would also use the chestnut that if someone who had no contact with
Christians appears to have done something ethical and good, it was the spirt
of the christian god inside them whether they knew it or not. god always gets
the credit.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2020 at 7:23am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Paul K. - I don't know if the influence of the Christian deity was a factor, but according to Flip Wilson, his counterpart was largely responsible...

"The Devil made me do it!"

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 October 2020 at 7:37am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

"The Devil made me do it!"

••

Even as a child--and still a believer--I was troubled by God allowing the Devil to exist.

(The Devil has an interesting history. He does not play nearly so important a role in the older Hebrew texts. The Serpent in the Garden of Eden, for instance, is just a talking snake, not at all uncommon in fairy tales. It was after Christianity took its firm hold on the minds of the people that the church fathers started shopping around for a suitable "super villain" with whom Jesus could content. They set about applying all the bad nastiness to "fallen angel" Lucifer, who was pretty much a loser until that got started.)

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2020 at 9:37am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

"The Devil made me do it"
"God works in mysterious ways"
etc.

With such profound arguments as these, it's no wonder rational debate is impossible!

Marc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |