Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Movies Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Wonder Woman 1984 Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 19 November 2020 at 1:58am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

The little movie that could, the one that has been in the can nearly two years and has faced as much adversity as any in recent memory, finally gets a release date that we can depend upon.  WW84 will be released simultaneously in theaters AND streaming (HBO Max) on Christmas Day 2020.  

This is a game changer and a risky one at that.  HBO isn't asking subscribers to pony up additional money ala MULAN to watch it.  All they're asking for is a subscription.  Subscribe to MAX and you get WW84.  

I've had a weekly Zoom gathering with various members of the JBF since the beginning of this pandemic.  We're going on nine months of gathering every Friday to discuss all sorts of things, but a major topic of discussion has always been release dates for films we care about and, of course, WW84 is at the top of the list.  We've debated ad nauseam this very scenario and I have to say most of us never really thought this would occur.  To release a major $200 mil movie on a streaming service was unthinkable just a week ago. 

But there you have it.  WW84 is a holiday gift given by Warner Brothers to those who subscribe to their service.  Thoughts?
Back to Top profile | search

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2020 at 2:13am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

A risky move, yes, but they're not making money on just letting a finished movie rest in the can either. It'll probably be 2022 before we see anything resembling normal life. That's a long wait.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 19 November 2020 at 2:37am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Agreed.  We're really in the netherworld where films are considered.  Warners could have gambled on holding the release until fall 2021 (which is what most of us on our Zoom call thought they would do), but instead they release it on HBO Max for a month starting at the end of December and then it goes off, which is still a game changer for a $200 mil budgeted movie. 

Warner Brothers has Warner Brothers money, which is to say a literal fuck ton.  WW84 can be written off as a digital film considering time and place, but that can't be the norm for this kind of movie. It will be interesting to see where they go from here.

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 19 November 2020 at 5:04am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Having felt so let down by the first, I have no interest in this no matter how itís shown.

Joe S. Walker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2020 at 6:18am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Seems to me more like the big movie that couldn't - couldn't be opened as planned, and I suspect it'll turn out couldn't gross as much as projected, albeit for reasons not related to its quality as a film.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2020 at 6:24am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

My wife and I had already been discussing an HBO Max subscription
and now we just make sure we sign up before Christmas.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2020 at 9:24am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Mr. Byrne, I am not in the least trying to change your opinion - but possibly offer another perspective. WW was kinda challenging to watch - but it was still the best move the DCCU put out to that point, I think.

That being said, I wish I were an editor or director to set SOMEBODY a'right about those damned movies. Or you, sir; I would trust your direction if anyone had the nerve to ask you.

Meanwhile, I wish for a Next Men film with you at the helm - REALLY in charge!

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2020 at 2:34pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The netherworld really is the right way to describe theatrically-released films right now and for a good stretch yet. Streaming is not just a helpful fallback for these media giants but the main game. When Disney set up Disney+, for example, they must have felt it was the right move for the near future, but with the pandemic that future is now. Paying subscribers are everything. Yes, it's unprecedented for WW1984 to be released this way and it may not end up setting a precedent for the post-pandemic future, but it will be very interesting to see what happens with other in-the-can-tentpole-movies between now and when the vaccines hit the masses.

The Black Widow movie I see as a bellwether.

Edited by Peter Martin on 19 November 2020 at 2:34pm

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2020 at 2:46pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

How much is HBO Max monthly?

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2020 at 2:52pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

The way things are going in the Bay Area/California, I don't expect to have any theaters open where I could see the film if I wanted to, which I wouldn't even consider at this point anyway. My local place never did open again, and I worry for its future in general. Additionally, the DC movies in general have not been great enough to convince me to sign up for another streaming service just to watch one. I can wait for it to hit Netflix or Prime or eventually cable. 

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2020 at 4:21pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I read an article today saying that it will not be available for streaming in Canada, and probably other countries. The torrent sites will be firing on all full cylinders the day after it shows on HBO Max. This makes no sense to me at all. Why wouldnít they make deals to have it shown at the most places when it opens?

To add, I guess they care more about promoting HBO max than actual movie profits. 

Edited by Neil Lindholm on 19 November 2020 at 4:22pm

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2020 at 4:34pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Too nervous to go back to the theaters in the winter (after only one visit in the fall), and we're not springing for yet another streaming service...

I can wait for the Blu-ray.

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |