Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum
Topic: JB on Daredevil Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2020 at 9:06am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Never knew this, but I do have the issue that was to have started it. Too bad it never came to be.

JB other than what is said in the article do you have anything to add?

Note - I tried to search to see if this has been posted before but the search function doesn't seem to be working.
Back to Top profile | search

Michael Murphy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2020 at 9:12am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I just saw that article as well. I always loved Byrne's DD, it would have been cool to see.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 November 2020 at 9:43am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Here's what really happened:

It was much like IRON FIST. "Do this fill-in issue, and then you can take over as regular artist."

Difference was, I did the DAREDEVIL issue and waited for the next plot... and waited, and waited, and waited..........

Never did find out why the promise of regular employment was not fulfilled.

Jim Petersman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2020 at 11:42am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I was 8 years old in 1976, so not at all aware of either the talent behind the work or how older comic book readers were perceived in society, but it seems to me that comic books were decisively and derisively viewed as kid's stuff. So why would an artist's serious health condition be mentioned at all in the letters page, and especially why would it be in response to a letter criticizing the artist's work? I mean, someone chose that letter to publish and respond to and, presumably, it wasn't the seriously ill Bob Brown. No surprise that he bailed for DC even though he was on his deathbed. 

Then combine that with JB being told he would take over the book that seriously ill Bob Brown was supposed to come back to work on, only to never have that materialize, and it becomes hard not to think that Marvel was being run by some real dicks at the time.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2020 at 4:51pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I have the DD and Ghost Rider issues, knew Brown died, but didn't know the rest of the story.

I can definitely relate to things going fubar somewhere while one waits for an expected assignment. I had a letter from Neil Pozner at DC in 1994 mentioning I would be contacted again about some kind of inking assignment then heard nothing more and couldn't make contact again, nor with Dean Motter. I was not buying comics/fanzines then really and didn't find out Pozner died until ages later. There was a riot in Vancouver and I think some sort of industry collapse about the same time. Timing! My only other 'big time' comic experience before that was something that was scheduled and sold before it even had a penciller never mind an inker. A 25-28 page b&w monthly... having to work a regular day job... and then a change to a letterist that erased a lot of the pencils. I was working on #4 right at a convention table when #1 was sitting in stacks next to me. I got sick, someone at work got sick, I basically melted screeching "oh what a world!". The penciller even lettered the numbers on the pages wrong and the editor was calling me at work demanding a missing page there never was. Five years after I get the nerve to try again, and Neil Pozner died right after I wrote something back about 'please, no Lobo' then figured maybe that was what he/they had lined up. But I'm much better now, except that arthritis has put the kibosh on much in the way of artistic ambitions.

Okay, sorry for subjecting people to this, a boil I must lance now and then I suppose. :^/
Back to Top profile | search | www

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply | Post New Topic |