Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2021 at 12:45am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Apple and Google must have decided the Byrne-forum is not to continue
Back to Top profile | search

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2021 at 1:41am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Still can't access via phone email links to topics i'm
following, except THIS topic! Explain that!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2021 at 8:30am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Using data on my phone I can access and post, like right now. Using my home internet I still get blocked by that same “John Byrne Forum is closed” message. 

Except, the past few days, when I manage to access not the Full but the Mobile version of the JBF, then I do get in — except I cannot post. When I’m in Mobile and try to switch back to Full, I hit that “John Byrne Forum is closed” message again. 

By the way, I’m writing that as it appears — the message doesn’t say “The John Byrne Forum is closed.” It lack the article “the,” reading almost like it’s not a native English speaker. 

Why in the world has this happened? Weird enough to begin being blocked out by “GO AWAY!”  How does that come up? Doesn’t somebody have to actually create a “GO AWAY!” page and then have it torpedo access to the JBF? Even more the other message that explicitly says the forum is closed and will be back in a few hours and apologizes for the inconvenience. I mean, isn’t this explicit hacking of the JBF? 

GAH!

Jim Petersman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2021 at 11:40am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Michael, have you tried accessing the full site on your phone? does the same message come up then? If so, is your phone on your wifi or its own data plan? Have you checked your security settings on your computer? JBF comes up as a "Not Secure" site on my computer, but it allows me to access it. I could see some security settings as possibly blocking it though.

You could also take your computer to a different wifi point (like Starbucks) and see if that allows you access in an attempt to narrow down whether its your computer or network. If none of that works, it sounds more like your computer may have malware than the site being hacked.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2021 at 11:59am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Thanks for your suggestions, Jim. 

For a while I could access the JBF on my phone but not post. But recently I have been able to. That’s purely through data. My computer doesn’t have any malware blocking the JBF because when I use my mobile hotspot I can connect and access the full site without a problem. 

What’s stopping me is my home internet connection. As with a few others, I found that a few weeks ago I sometimes could not load the JBF. But then later I would try again and it would work. But then two weeks ago I got the “GO AWAY!” page and then after that and up to now I have this “John Byrne Forum is closed” page. This happens on any device I use. My desktop or laptop or phone or iPad. So the problem is related to my home internet. But I reset the router to factory settings and still nothing has changed. 

I really don’t know much about tech. What I can’t figure out is that if this was my own personal problem with my router or something else on my end, how in the world would a page so explicit come up? “John Byrne Forum is closed. We’ll be open again in a few hours. Sorry for the inconvenience.” I mean, isn’t it obvious that somebody created that page with direct reference to the JBF and for some specific usage? Is it a hack? Is it a page that some JBF tech legitimately created at some point when the forum was down, but now for some crazy reason I am stuck slamming into instead of accessing the site? Why would my home internet be susceptible to this kind of error, calling up instead of the site this message?

I’m stumped!

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2021 at 12:14pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

So, I did some troubleshooting and found this response: Windows received an HTTP message: 403 (forbidden) from “www.byrnerobotics.com”. 

Looking up this 403 message, it seems to be a problem with the way the JBF webserver have set up permissions and I’m getting denied when I should not be. 

Jim Petersman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2021 at 12:14pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Sites have pages for when they are down or you are unable to connect. I don't think that's an issue.

Have you gone into your router settings on your computer to check and see if the URL has been blocked there? It sounds like you've narrowed down what the problem is - your network/router - so I would think it would have to be something in your settings causing it to reject the JBF.

Jim Petersman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2021 at 12:25pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

For a 403, from what I'm reading, you can try a different browser (firefox, chrome, etc), clear your history/cookies, and make sure that the JBF URL isn't blocked in your router settings. If none of that works, then you'll have to contact your ISP and have them work through it with you.

But the pages coming up for you just seem to be the expected pages for a 403 error. They don't seem to be the problem, your router or ISP are at fault. Good luck!

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2021 at 12:40pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Michael P. - a dumb question perhaps, but have you cleared your history and cookies? One of those might be blocking you out. Good luck.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2021 at 3:47pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Yes, Eric. But as I said any and every device using my home internet is denied access. Except when even using the home internet I access the Mobile version of the forum. Only when I try to access the full version is my access denied. So, is this my problem? My ISP and router work for the Mobile but not the full version — does that make sense?

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2021 at 1:04am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

As i stated before i can access via laptop, but if i
click on an email notification link to The Star Trek
Discovery topic for example, i get the "You don't have
sufficient permission" message, but if i click on the
email notification lik to THIS topic, i get access!
That's not cookies, router, provider, browser etc is it?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Hughes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2021 at 8:51am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I have found on my android phone that I cannot access the webpage from an email link.  I have to open my browser, then access the url directly.  From email, I get the error "Too many redirects".  So the best option is to access by the url.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |