Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2021 at 2:01pm | IP Logged | 1  

The Sun has been one of the, if not the, most powerful papers in the
UK

There is a famous incident where it published a front page in one
Election Day saying ‘if labour win today, will the last one out please turn
off the lights’

It did the job.

It’s way more dangerous than the national enquirer.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2021 at 4:06pm | IP Logged | 2  

Ah, the 'good' old red tops.
Back to Top profile | search

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2021 at 5:13pm | IP Logged | 3  

"Media Trust Hits New Low"

https://www.axios.com/media-trust-crisis-2bf0ec1c-00c0-4901- 9069-e26b21c283a9.html

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2021 at 6:06pm | IP Logged | 4  

Ah, the 'good' old red tops.
———————-
When I was @ school, I learned that the reading age of The Sun was

We can decry that, & I often do, but it makes sure that the message is
clear, concise & understood.

It also means that there is no nuance. & that is the problem.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 January 2021 at 2:42pm | IP Logged | 5  

One thing about the right-wing `news' media is that they have no clue what logic is.

I remember back in December, one of them was saying that a foreign country might actually invade the U.S. to set things right and make Trump President for a second term!

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 January 2021 at 3:15pm | IP Logged | 6  

The idea of newspapers and networks having slants at all was new to me at one time. If it was going on in Canada in the '70s and early '80s it was too subtle for me. I only first noticed any bias in one Vancouver stations political coverage during a provincial election in the '80s. They seemed to harp on a need for 'change' more than others, and the voters did change who was the ruling party, and I thought for the worse. Maybe had it been in my favour though I'd have thought well they're just being smart or sensible like me? Was it was only because I thought they were taking a lot of shots at the government in power I supported that I noticed?

Before that it was an exotic thing when visiting the U.S. to hear people talking about which newspapers were for whom. I didn't even care; I only wanted to see all the comic strips that I could, but it was "we never get the P-I", or "our family doesn't like the Examiner". We had two papers in my home city in Canada, the only real difference was that one was morning and the other afternoon. I would get the comics in the afternoon Times my parents got and later the funnies in the morning Colonist at my grandparents (Colonist had Tumbleweeds and Beetle Bailey, Times had Broom Hilda and Hagar).

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 23 January 2021 at 3:17pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2021 at 6:39am | IP Logged | 7  

One of my problems with cable news especially, is that a ten minute segment may contain two minutes worth of a news report then 8 minutes of opinion. Not to mention that most "experts" who are brought on to argue are often given they're talking points prior to coming on the air.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2021 at 8:55am | IP Logged | 8  

CNN is definitely at its best when there is a steady stream of news coming in to keep them more like a news show. When there's little going on they are more inclined to get on their soapbox. Wolf Blitzer tends to behave like a newsreader, which is preferable. Don Lemon tends to be a deliverer of polemics. Chris Cuomo oscillates between the two modes. I have to turn over when it starts to veer away from news and news analysis into the op-ed style. 

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2021 at 9:50am | IP Logged | 9  

Can someone tell me why, when Judge Amy Coney Barrett was Trump's nominee for the Supreme Court, FOX NEWS and others like them made SUCH a huge deal about religious beliefs being off-limits; especially as they related to abortion rights?  But for weeks now they have insisted on running article after article about Joe Biden's "Catholicism" (note the quotes).

When Coney Barrett was being vetted for the Supreme Court, all we heard from the right and the right-wing "news" outlets was how the US Constitution strictly forbids any religious test for any Office or Public Trust under the United States.  

It seems only anti-choice Republicans are allowed that right - not people like President Biden or newly elected Georgia Senator, the Rev. Ralph Warnock, a pro-choicer the right-wing attacked MERCILESSLY on the religion issue(s).

Marc

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2021 at 1:51pm | IP Logged | 10  

Marc, the simple answer is "Because FOX NEWS is made up of right-wing hypocrites".

I applaud Shepard Smith for getting away from that hive of scum and villainy.

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2021 at 2:59pm | IP Logged | 11  

Brian,

Yet none of other media outlets or politicians seem to call them out for this glaring double-standard!!  It makes no sense.

Marc

Edited by Marc Baptiste on 24 January 2021 at 2:59pm

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 January 2021 at 9:20am | IP Logged | 12  

Marc, quis custodiet ispos custodes? I suspect a degree of professional (dis)respect is involved here. There are now so many news outlets, ALL biased one direction or the other, that going after one would mean open warfare, maybe on a subject that viewers would find interesting - but with absolutely no news. On the other hand, maybe that's what the owners want.

I miss Headline News. Yeah, it was repetitive every 30 minutes, but damn it, it was news. I didn't have to wade through twenty minutes of opinion to get the gist of the story. And especially that there really are so many news-opinion outlets now.

Somebody suggested to me that Reuters is the news I want. It's great online, but I can't find it on cable. All I want is an objective reporting of news stories. Or am I kidding myself, here in 2021?

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |