Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: sue storm and lenses Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2021 at 5:59pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I was thinking about the time JB had Sue glide the team down from orbit, and how great a control she has of the thickness and shape of her force field. She can also bend light to become invisible.

Can Sue create a lens and magnify things? Can she focus sunlight and start a fire? 

Open to all. Perhaps it's been shown in a book I haven't read.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Jonathan A. Dowdell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2021 at 6:50pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Of course. I don't think we've seen it but I would assume it is in her powers. To me it is more about the shape of her force field and the light refraction. Although some may say that an invisible force field would not refract light. Oops, maybe I'm wrong but I'll stick with it...
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2021 at 7:23pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Interesting question. As it is invisible, I would say that it cannot have any effect on light that passes through it. However, she might, for example, make a water "sandwich" between two force fields that could indeed magnify or focus.

I guess we'll have to hear what Reed has to say on that matter!

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 January 2021 at 7:38pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Sue’s forcefields are invisible. Light passes thru them with no bending or distortion. Altho she could easily create a lens shape, it would not function as a lens.

Bill Dowling
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2021 at 9:10pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

She ought to be able to take an existing piece of glass and make it into a lens by selectively making part of the glass invisible. 

Or eliminate a lens from something (a scope, a telescope. etc) by making the lens invisible.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Craig Earl
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 January 2021 at 11:13am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

She ought to be able to take an existing piece of glass and make it into a lens by selectively making part of the glass invisible. 

------

So, using this logic, no villain would be able to retain a secret identity, since Sue would be able to render masks invisible?

Delving a little deeper, removing a few layers of epidermis would freak them out!

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 January 2021 at 11:22am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I’d been playing with the idea of Sue using her power to turn invisible in layers, ending up as a walking skeleton. No opportunity to use the effect had presented itself before I left the title.

Roger Stern used it when he picked up the reins on FF.

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 January 2021 at 1:43pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

YEARS ago, I took a comic writing class taught by Denny O'Neil, and for my project I decided to try an FF script.  As it turns out, it's almost impossible not to think about an FF run, with all sorts of story and character ideas that totally would not fit into a single issue story.  The only thing I can say to my credit is that I knew enough not to try to jam them in and instead just focus on the stand-alone 20 page script.

What had gotten left on the floor was an exploration of their powers, when it occurred to me that you could (sort of) map each member to a fundamental force: Reed was the weak nuclear force, Johnny was the strong nuclear force, Ben was gravity, and Sue was, of course, the electromagnetic force.  The basic gist was that all their powers started to amp up in dangerous ways, with Sue going from being able to control (effectively) light, she started to have control - in this case, unconscious - over all wavelengths on the EM spectrum.

Fan ficky as heck, but I still like it...
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 January 2021 at 2:28pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

As my first writer/artist issue demonstrated, I see the FF as more closely analogous to the original four elements, earth, air, fire and water.

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2021 at 2:54am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I know i'm "wrong" - but as long as we are playing in this particular sandbox - I have always wondered if Sue's powers weren't so much invisibility as simply generating force fields.  Meaning, was her ability to turn invisible simply the generating of an ultra-micro sized forcefield around her (akin to the one JB had surrounding Superman which kept him invulnerable and kept dirt and other micro debris from "sticking" to him) which in turn she could "push" ever so slightly outward and bend light rays away from her body thus causing her to "turn" invisible?  

Marc

Edited by Marc Baptiste on 24 January 2021 at 3:05am

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 24 January 2021 at 5:11am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I seem to recall making a few references to light “bending” around Sue.

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2021 at 8:33am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

JB,

I was sure I had heard it somewhere!!

Marc

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |