Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Fin Fang Foom Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2021 at 12:31pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I just finished reading Iron Man #275 (last night) and it's great to learn about the dragon characters including Fin Fang Foom, one of the top pre-hero Marvel monsters, among them. I have one question though, it looks like he could disguise himself as a human like the others, there's a panel with all ten of the surviving crew as humans... there's also mention of FFF being the youngest as well as a navigator. is there a reason he, unlike the others, stayed in dragon form almost all the time (that we know of)?

He is shown originally and at other points as sleeping a lot, so maybe that's connected to it? Could be he just disliked human being enough he found it very unpleasant to even pose as one, but I think there could be a greater logic behind it. Ideas?

I researched the dragon lore of Okinawa and southern Japan once and they were shape-shifters, although there were some who hated to do it while others liked it too much perhaps. It's nice to think that aspect would fit in with the famous 'Foom and his pals. There are two ways to get me to buy almost any comic... a werewolf or an early Marvel minster returning!

As a side question: I do have those four Monster Hunters 'Marvel Universe' comics circa the late '90s written by Roger Stern, but aside from that did anyone ever bring back others besides 'Foom and Groot? I have a vague memory of there having been one other in a regular superhero title story, but it's not coming back to me. There was a Sandman and a Thing type monster in the pre-non-hero Marvels I actually had, and have read of other prototypes, but why no Grottu or Tim-Boo-Bah?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2021 at 1:53pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

It, the Living Colossus has shown up a few times (he even had his own title!)

JB used Xemnu in Sensational She-Hulk.

Some googling reveals this issue with a bunch of Marvel monsters, (though it's from 2015, so long after I stopped buying new comics):

Back to Top profile | search

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2021 at 2:18pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

You should have a look at some of these titles, I read a few, some were fun

USMarvel Marvel Monsters 2006 1 issues (1 indexed) Gallery 2006
USMarvel Marvel Monsters: Devil Dinosaur [m] 2005 1 issues (1 indexed) Gallery December 2005
USMarvel Marvel Monsters: Fin Fang 4 [m] 2005 1 issues (1 indexed) Gallery December 2005
USMarvel Marvel Monsters: From the Files of Ulysses Bloodstone and the Monster Hunters [m] 2005 1 issues (0 indexed) Gallery November 2005
USMarvel Marvel Monsters: Monsters on the Prowl [m] 2005 1 issues (1 indexed) Gallery December 2005
USMarvel Marvel Monsters: Where Monsters Dwell [m] 2005 1 issues (1 indexed) Gallery December 2005

I
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2021 at 2:24pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I don't know about bringing back the venerable old monsters but from time to time in my peak comic reading years in the 70s - 80s Marvel liked to roll out the occasional new huge one. In the two issues before John started his 11 issue run on the Avengers, Defalco and Jim Mooney debuted "The Monolith" who kind of reminded me of those olden creatures.

Edited by Rick Senger on 22 February 2021 at 2:35pm

Colin Ian Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2021 at 3:12pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Had a quick look on the internet and found the following information, some or all of which might be accurate.

Incredible Hulk Annual #5 by Len Wein, Chris Claremont, Sal Buscema and Jack Abel featured Groot, Titan (Xemnu, nee the Hulk), Blip, Diablo, Taboo and Goom, but most of them turned out to be duplicates not the originals. Hulk v3 #30 by Jeff Parker sounds like a sequel to that one.

Molten Man-Thing, Zzutak The Thing That Shouldn't Exist, Grottu King of the Insects, Rorgg King of the Spider Men, Two-Headed Thing and Yucoya-Tzin the Lord Who Creates appeared in Fantastic Four unlimited #7 by Roy Thomas and Herb Liefeld, I mean Trimpe. Grottu also features in FFU #9.

Spragg the Living Hill featured in JB's She-Hulk, and also appeared in Thunderbolts Annual v2 #1, where he was injured by Deadpool and Elektra. .

The Creature from Krogarr appeared in Wolverine #136, and Fin Fang Foom and Blip appeared in Fantastic Four: World's Greatest Comics Magazine #12, both written or plotted by Erik Larsen.

Tim Boo Ba and Grottu fought each other in Tokyo in Iron Man:Legacy #9 & 10 by Fred Van Lente and Steve Kurth.

Gomdulla the Living Pharaoh (not that one) fought Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four in Spider-Man Family v2 #3.
Gomdulla, Spragg and Gigantus turned up during Journey Into Mystery #646-650 (Sif by Kathryn Immonen and the unfortunately named Valerio Schiti)

Fin Fang Foom, Goom, Gorgilla and Monstrum appeared in Thor #5 & 6 (2018 series) by Jason Aaron and Christian Ward.

Various monsters appear in Monsters Unleashed v2 #1-5 and its tie-ins Spider-Man/Deadpool #1.MU, Avengers #1.MU, All-New X-Men #1.MU, Uncanny Inhumans #1.MU, Doctor Strange #1.MU, Champions #1.MU, Guardians of the Galaxy #1.MU and The Totally Awesome Hulk #1.MU. 

Edited by Colin Ian Campbell on 22 February 2021 at 4:29pm

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2021 at 3:44pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I did have one '70s It The Living Colossus and one Golem too. I really will have
to witness Spragg The Living Hill by Mr. Byrne for myself!
I will gape in awe I'm sure!
"The hills are alive... ahh, run for the... valleys?"

Great choice to bring Spragg back!

I know Xemnu from one of these modern True Believers reprints! And I have that Avengers
with The Monolith. It's theoretically impossible for me to dislike or not buy on sight
anything with that 'Still Only 35 cents' blurb on it!

Thanks for all the monster tips and info! Going to consider adding Fin Fang 4 to 'the list'. :^)

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 22 February 2021 at 3:59pm

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2021 at 4:56pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Another Xemnu appearance: he went by "Titan" in an early Defenders issue I used to own from the 70s.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2021 at 7:46pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Xemnu appeared just before the earliest Defenders I have (#15 & 16); I wasn't aware of that story!
Of course I'm also just learning there was something actually titled Spider-Man Family, so...

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 22 February 2021 at 7:47pm

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 February 2021 at 10:42am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

And I believe the Defenders battled Xemnu the Titan in Marvel Feature #3 as well. That Xemnu... he gets around.

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 February 2021 at 10:49am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I hear rumors that Fin Fang Foom is set to appear in the upcoming Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings movie.

I can’t WAIT to see/hear someone on screen say ‘Fin Fang Foom’ with a straight face!

🐉 

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 February 2021 at 11:18am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

LOL!!!!!!

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 February 2021 at 1:42pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Xemnu played a major role in THE IMMORTAL HULK not too long ago. And Al Ewing made him genuinely frightening, which I'm sure had never been done before. 

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |