Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Fan Fic << Prev Page of 53 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN.21--Comments Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2021 at 8:12am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Now we know why Archangel had his sword set on *stun* when he attacked Nightcrawler ---  they'd burnt out their old battery & needed a fresh one  >:^D

Also sheds some light on why Kurt was so discombobulated these past few issues.  Quantum/metaphysical/extra-dimensional entanglement, or thereabouts.

Hella storytelling, hella artwork.
Back to Top profile | search

Jonathan Watkins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2021 at 8:59am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Panel 1 of today's page is brilliant in the marriage of the words and the art. As someone who only visited New York City once, it triggered a distinct sense memory.

Panel 2 is just pure artistry. I hope that was one of your "Damn, I'm good" moments, because it's absolutely a "Damn, he's good" moment for the reader.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Paul Wills
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2021 at 9:24am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

So many emotions with this page - sadness, shock, anger. You know you're doing great work when a single comic page can generate these emotions from a reader.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 April 2021 at 9:44am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Emotions? I thought superhero comics were supposed to fill the readers with gloom and ennui!

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2021 at 9:47am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

In which situation Mr. Byrne, you have failed gloriously! Congratulations on you failure! Keep the bad work up... er, down?

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2021 at 10:06am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Me: I like the contrast drawn between Magneto and Doom in just these past couple of pages. This Magneto is not exactly courageous, though he didn't throw any of his minions under the bus when Thor came to call (so far as we can tell).

JB: Question of timing, perhaps. If his team had not arrived just when they did, would he have waited for them?

That's an EXCELLENT question. Supposing Wanda had not been able to buy them a few seconds to rejoin Magneto, it's not hard to imagine him departing through the "Wagner gate." I suspect he wanted his "students" with him in case there was more waiting than he could handle alone...

Thanks, JB!

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2021 at 10:09am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I thought it was likely that alt-Kurt had died, which made acquiring a replacement necessary. I'd also thought it was possible Magneto would have fashioned a spear from the wreckage of the space station and impaled Thor with it--but am really glad that that did not happen.

Having Magneto (and his M-gang) running scared into this unknown parallel world is MUCH more interesting!

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2021 at 10:13am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Andrew Bitner: "...I'd also thought it was possible Magneto would have fashioned a spear from the wreckage of the space station and impaled Thor with it--but am really glad that that did not happen..."

Just as well, as I imagine it would have crumpled like tin foil as it hit Thor's body. He can take some metal thrown at him without too much of a problem. 
Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2021 at 10:36am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Thanks for another exciting week, JB.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2021 at 11:01am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Matt: Just as well, as I imagine it would have crumpled like tin foil as it hit Thor's body. He can take some metal thrown at him without too much of a problem. 

As long as that's what the writer wants, sure... ;)

John Northey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2021 at 11:58am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

No question this is the old Magneto pre X-Men104-150 which is the stretch I feel changed him from this to the guy who Xavier would trust to run the X-Men.  In truth, that change didn't make sense but it was over so many years it worked for enough readers not to be a major issue.  No question in my mind that this version would've left on his own if his M-Men weren't fast enough.  It'll be interesting to see where this all goes in the end - I hope for more double Magneto pages as the old one would screw over the younger one for sure, and I'd expect younger to be planning to do that to older as well.

Dang, angry Thor is fun to read as is scared Magneto with his backup plans and probably backups to the backups.  Can't be a good villain without those.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 April 2021 at 12:08pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

As long as that's what the writer wants, sure... ;)

•••

Thank You!

In my time on the job I have grown so weary of the characters being blamed for their mishandling. “Cyclops is a dick!” No, he’s being WRITTEN as a dick and no one seems to want to defend him. Pander to that lowest rung of fandom that rejects authority—especially principled, noble authority.

(Flip side, take a complete scumbag and turn him into a “freedom fighter”. That’s what Stan and Jack intended for the character, after all. Or, at least it’s what Stan was TOLD he intended. )

<< Prev Page of 53 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |