Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Fan Fic << Prev Page of 53 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN 22 --Comments Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2021 at 9:13am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

It seems as though, as far as anyone can determine, Xavier awoke Jean's latent telepathic abilities and we don't know why. As JB says, we'll never know; any attempt to explain it now would likely end up as a retcon.

Lacking anything to suggest otherwise, I figured Professor X may have tripped this by accident while helping Jean explore the scope of her powers. Realizing she had this potential, he then helped her develop it slowly and steadily.

Edited by Andrew Bitner on 05 May 2021 at 9:15am
Back to Top profile | search

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2021 at 9:20am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The above, btw, is purely how I envisioned it going-- it represents nothing but my imagination back-filling parts of the story.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 May 2021 at 9:37am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

There is a bad habit amongst some people to think of mental powers as one big tent. If you have telekinisis, surely you must have telepathy.

But if we think about it, that's a whole lot like saying that having learned to play the piano should make someone immediately able to play the guitar.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 May 2021 at 9:41am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

JB, when you draw characters in silhouette - as they are in the second panel of today's page - how much of the details do you complete before filling each figure?

••

I do a light, rough sketch of the full details, then fill them in.

(Hanging on my Studio wall is an Alex Toth original, a drawing he did of the Question leaping thru a skylight onto a bunch of thugs in civilian cloths. To punch up the image, he rendered the heads and faces of the bad guys in silhouette, but close examination shows that he drew those faces fully, and then blacked over them!)

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2021 at 10:09am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

That's really cool! 
You mentioned doing something similar with the "Snowblind" issue of ALPHA FLIGHT, JB, placing Snowbird and the Great Beast in the panels so that you could choreograph the fight.
Interesting to hear that artists do the work visualizing these things on paper, whether or not they're going to keep those in the finished art.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2021 at 11:44am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

QUOTE:
There is a bad habit amongst some people to think of mental powers as one big tent.

This reminds me of the story that someone who worked on The Incredibles movie said it was not influenced by the Fantastic Four, though it included a character with both invisibility and force field powers. 

Yeah, right.

Edited by Wallace Sellars on 05 May 2021 at 11:45am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2021 at 12:00pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Andrew Bitner: "...It seems as though, as far as anyone can determine, Xavier awoke Jean's latent telepathic abilities and we don't know why..."

In terms of the story, we actually do know: He trained her in preparation of his demise, so that the X-Men would still have use of a telepath. That's in the book. The question is whether or not there was a planned loophole so that Xavier could be brought back to life. It is actually still a possibility that could be answered,  as Roy Thomas was the writer snd he is still alive. But, based on how Xavier was brought back later, with the Changeling taking his place, etc.,  I doubt it was fleshed out in his mind.

About ELSEWHEN: I am curious to see what this thong with Pablo is all about. 

Back to Top profile | search | www

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2021 at 12:26pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Matt, it's a good point that we were told this was the case but it begs the question:

how did Professor X know she had telepathic abilities at all?

I'm with JB on this; the existence of one psychic ability doesn't mean she has the potential to manifest a second or third as well. 

On that basis, he must have known (for some reason) that she had this capability and then chose to help her develop it once there was a compelling reason. But there's still a link or two missing from this chain and I don't think we'll ever have a definitive answer, because it's all guesswork by now.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2021 at 12:27pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

^Retcon stories notwithstanding. :)

Rod Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2021 at 1:28pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

JB, I really like the way you've had Angel and Iceman organically slot into the team, as they've all regrouped over the past couple of issues.  Nicely played!

Edited to fix syntax

Edited by Rod Collins on 05 May 2021 at 1:28pm

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 May 2021 at 5:19am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I really like the way you've had Angel and Iceman organically slot into the team, as they've all regrouped over the past couple of issues. Nicely played!

••

Thanks--but I must admit it all felt very natural. I did not have to expend any mental energy on recalling group dynamics!

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 May 2021 at 5:23am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

This reminds me of the story that someone who worked on The Incredibles movie said it was not influenced by the Fantastic Four, though it included a character with both invisibility and force field powers.

••

FF: Big, strong character; character who stretches; character who turns invisible and projects force fields; two characters married; two characters siblings (boy and girl); primary color uniforms with emblem on chest, black gloves and boots; team takes its name from the leader who is "Mister".

Incredibles: Big, strong character; character who stretches; character who turns invisible and projects force fields; two characters married; two characters siblings (boy and girl); primary color uniforms with emblem on chest, black gloves and boots; team takes its name from the leader who is "Mister".

<< Prev Page of 53 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |